Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:47 PM   #1
david martin
macrumors member

iTunes media library relocation to server

I have two computers and want to use the same media library. I have been trying to relocate and merge my music library onto my WD my book live NAS. I followed the steps on apples website and successfully changed the itunes media folder location to the NAS and "consolidated files" in the organize folder dialogue box on both computers. I know both computers are currently looking on the NAS in the same media folder when itunes is launched, but each computer can only see the media relocated from the source computer. I suspect the problem is in the "itunes library" file still located in the default itunes folder on my local drive. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
david martin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:19 AM   #2
david martin
macrumors member

Over 500 views and no suggestions? I can't imagine I'm the first to try this. I guess I can start drag and dropping iTunes files into the NAS folder, but I'm shooting in the dark.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:42 AM   #3
satcomer
macrumors 68040

Here is a video called How to move an iTunes library to an external drive. Use this procedure to formulate your own plan.
satcomer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:58 AM   #4
lightz39
macrumors regular

Question: Why didn't you just use home sharing?

Anyways, the problem is most likely in the itunes library file. It remembers all your original settings, file locations etc. My fix for this was to make a new library and just re import all the music. I assume there is a better method. Just a suggestion.
lightz39 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 01:45 PM   #5
DeafRaiders
macrumors regular

I am also having the same issue but i want to keep my music on my NAS. On Windows I map a network the drive to my music. Now on my iMac it cannot locate the files..... any help? I think i have to do it all again
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:26 PM   #6
david martin
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by satcomer View Post
Here is a video called How to move an iTunes library to an external drive. Use this procedure to formulate your own plan.
I have already successfully relocated the iTunes media folder to the NAS, but I can not access the media files added by another computer. I know both computers are looking in the same folder on the NAS because any new music I add to the library on either computer shows up there.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:39 PM   #7
david martin
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightz39 View Post
Question: Why didn't you just use home sharing?

Anyways, the problem is most likely in the itunes library file. It remembers all your original settings, file locations etc.
My brother and I use home sharing but we do not want to share each others playlist.

I agree, I think the problem might be with the itunes library files. I don't know what to do. I guess I wil try copying some library files to the NAS.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:06 AM   #8
satcomer
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by david martin View Post
I have already successfully relocated the iTunes media folder to the NAS, but I can not access the media files added by another computer. I know both computers are looking in the same folder on the NAS because any new music I add to the library on either computer shows up there.
Know your file system. Remember that saying when changing your network. Plus read the article How to offload your iTunes library to a NAS to learn what you need to do when moving iTunes media to a NAS.
satcomer is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help