Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:46 PM   #1
pontusn
macrumors newbie

Bootcamping on my new 27Žimac.

Hi
So i got my new 27 inch imac yesterday. its a i5, 1TB Fusion, 680mx.
Now i want to install windows on bootcamp. but how.

with windows on usb? If so then how???

or

Using the internal dvddrive of my macbookpro?

You have any tips!
pontusn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:11 PM   #2
Fynd
macrumors regular

What I did was break the fusion drive, partition 20GB off of the SSD and 300GB off the HDD, then remake the fusion drive with remaining 100gb SSD.

Ran bootcamp assistant and used the windows 8 ISO, it made my bootable USB key. Then I installed Win 8 through EFI rather than bootcamp.

Everything works perfect, and boot/OS response time is perfect in both
Apple TV 3
Fynd is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:45 PM   #3
pontusn
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fynd View Post
What I did was break the fusion drive, partition 20GB off of the SSD and 300GB off the HDD, then remake the fusion drive with remaining 100gb SSD.

Ran bootcamp assistant and used the windows 8 ISO, it made my bootable USB key. Then I installed Win 8 through EFI rather than bootcamp.

ok thanks.
yeah i dont think i wanna get in to the separation of fusiondrive thingy but sounds awesome.
I just need windows to play a few games like twice a month so i will be happy with just keeping that on the 7200 drive.

However, Kan i just put a usb stick in the imac and make it bootable. and then put windows 7 on it also from the imac and install as usual?
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:20 PM   #4
qamaro
macrumors member

Quote:

Hi Fynd,

Which process did you use to break the fusion (2 CMD or 1). Secondly did you use terminal cmds to create partitions or the disk util?

Thx
qamaro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:30 PM   #5
tom vilsack
macrumors 68000

postusn: if you have a pc you can use this tool to put win 7/8 onto usb stick for install

http://download.cnet.com/Windows-7-U...-10972600.html
tom vilsack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:00 AM   #6
pontusn
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom vilsack View Post
postusn: if you have a pc you can use this tool to put win 7/8 onto usb stick for install

http://download.cnet.com/Windows-7-U...-10972600.html

Thansk but no i dont have access to a pc! Cant it all be done with just the imac!
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:09 PM   #7
bizango
macrumors newbie

I just bootcamped my new 27" late last night. Didn't go nearly as smooth as with the old 2008 imac with an optical drive, but seems to have worked. Here's (roughly) what I did...

1. Printed out the bootcamp instructions - very important!

2. I had a disk of Win7 Home & an external optical drive. I used Disk Utility to make a .cdr file of it on my desktop (many instructions online about how to do this) and then manually renamed it .iso. The file had a long, strange name.

3. reformatted a 4gb thumb drive to MS-DOS(FAT) via Disk Utility

4. opened Bootcamp Assistant. It gave 3 check box options. I tried to do all at once on a 4gb thumb, but it was rejected as too small. So I did each option separately:

5. first: made a bootable disk with the .iso & the reformatted 4gb thumb (it just fit...the .iso file was just under 4gb)

6. second: downloaded the windows support software. I did this on my desktop, then copied it to a second 4gb thumb that was also reformatted as MS-DOS(FAT). The download took FOREVER though it was only three-hundred-something mb.

7. third: installed Win7 & decided on a partition size, etc. This is where I needed the printed instructions as there were a few greek-to-me selections I had to make & without the instructions I wouldn't have known what to do. Easy to screw up here.

Lots of restarts later (by the computer, not me) and Win7 went from looking like minecraft to a beautiful functioning OS. YAY! Well, ok, maybe I'll reserve the beautiful adjective for OS X.

Wow. That was a long post. Sorry. Hope it helps.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:17 PM   #8
torana355
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Do you have the 1TB fusion? if so you didn't need to break the fusion link. Im not exactly sure why you did what you did?
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:56 AM   #9
Fynd
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by torana355 View Post
Do you have the 1TB fusion? if so you didn't need to break the fusion link. Im not exactly sure why you did what you did?
AFAIK, using bootcamp as-is will simply install Windows on the HDD. Fusion doesn't work with Windows. I wanted to install Windows to the SSD.
Apple TV 3
Fynd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:06 PM   #10
torana355
macrumors 65816

Quote:
AFAIK, using bootcamp as-is will simply install Windows on the HDD. Fusion doesn't work with Windows. I wanted to install Windows to the SSD.
Gotcha, now it makes sense.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:58 PM   #11
hacke
macrumors member

Quote:
You're my hero.. would like to do the same! Is there a manual for doing this?

Thanks in advance!
hacke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 01:17 PM   #12
joe-h2o
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontusn View Post
Thansk but no i dont have access to a pc! Cant it all be done with just the imac!
Yes. The Bootcamp Assistant (Applications > Utilities) will do that for you.

It will partition your internal drive (you can choose how much) and also download the drivers you need for Windows.

It will also make a bootable USB stick from a Windows iso image or (I believe) from a Windows DVD installer - you can use drive sharing from your MBP to share the installer DVD and the Bootcamp assistant will use it to make the bootable USB.

Then it will reboot and install.

The drivers for Windows will be on the USB stick and you'll have to install these manually, but it's a single package that installs Apple's software updater and all the necessary drivers in one go - sound, graphics etc.

You might want to have a USB mouse handy, since the magic trackpad (if you have that) seems to be the only thing that does not work, and it definitely doesn't work during the windows installer process, although the keyboard does.
joe-h2o is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac