Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Dec 22, 2012, 04:10 AM   #1
tangfj
macrumors member

Possible Move from Mid 2010 Mac Pro to new 27" iMac...

So right now I have a 2.8 GHz Quad Core Xeon Mac Pro from Mid 2010 with 12 GB of ram and standard 1 tb hard drive.

This coming year I'm going to be moving in to a much smaller place than what I have now and I'm not sure if I'm going to have room for a Mac pro and my 3 dell monitors (1x 2408wfp, 1x 2407wfp, and 1x 2709wb). I am considering downsizing to one of the new 27" iMacs. I was wondering what you guys think about this move?

I initially bought the Mac Pro because I wanted the extra expansion space for hd's etc... since then, though, I've moved most of my data to NAS drives so the internal hard drives aren't as important to me anymore. I don't think I'd mind that the iMac doesn't have much expansion capabilities since I haven't done much with my current Mac Pro other than upgrade the ram and add internal hd's that I don't use anymore. That being said, how do you think the new iMac will fare against my Mac Pro? I'd most likely get the more expensive of the two iMacs because it's not too much more in cost for the faster CPU... plus I'd probably get a fusion drive and 16 GB of ram.

Would the new iMac be faster or slower than what I have?
tangfj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:18 AM   #2
nagareru
macrumors regular

What do you do with your mp?
nagareru is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:49 AM   #3
wessew
macrumors member

Probably a good deal faster and also more responsive. With the BTO high end iMac you get a faster processor, better graphics chip, and more responsive drive with Fusion being considerably faster than a HD. In addition, you get Thunderbolt and 4 USB 3 ports for excellent external expansion potential. Take a look at Barefeats. They have run a number of performance comparisons spread across several articles: http://www.barefeats.com/imac12p2.html
wessew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:56 PM   #4
tangfj
macrumors member

As far as usage goes, I don't do anything "pro" level with my Mac. Some light image editing from time to time but no video editing at all. I mostly bought the MP as a day to day computer. I run Plex Media Server on it but nothing else that's CPU intensive.
tangfj is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac