Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:58 PM   #1
kdum8
macrumors 6502a

iPad connected to the net and working fine, but no signal bars. Why?

I am in a hotel, connected to their wifi and writing this as we speak. The network isn't particularly fast but it works.

However I have no signal strength bars in the very top left of the screen as is usual, and yet I am obviously connected. How can this be!?

Anyone know what could be going on?
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:08 PM   #2
cutienoua
macrumors member

reboot
cutienoua is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:24 PM   #3
Born2Run
macrumors newbie

I had this with my iPad 3 when I first upgraded to IOS 6... If I connected to the home network I set up from my Mac Mini to stream movies using Air Video, I never got any signal bars but if I accessed the internet from outside I did get them...

I discovered it was something to do with the IP address, I set a static IP address on my home network and suddenly the bars reappeared!

So I think it's just a problem with the DHCP settings on the iPad or network (I think if the IP address starts with 169) ... As long as it still accesses the web I wouldn't worry about it.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 03:17 AM   #4
kdum8
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutienoua View Post
reboot
This fixed the problem thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Run View Post
I had this with my iPad 3 when I first upgraded to IOS 6... If I connected to the home network I set up from my Mac Mini to stream movies using Air Video, I never got any signal bars but if I accessed the internet from outside I did get them...

I discovered it was something to do with the IP address, I set a static IP address on my home network and suddenly the bars reappeared!

So I think it's just a problem with the DHCP settings on the iPad or network (I think if the IP address starts with 169) ... As long as it still accesses the web I wouldn't worry about it.
Thanks for that, always good to hear other's experiences.

Problem resolved!

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad