Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdum8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
I am in a hotel, connected to their wifi and writing this as we speak. The network isn't particularly fast but it works.

However I have no signal strength bars in the very top left of the screen as is usual, and yet I am obviously connected. How can this be!? :confused:

Anyone know what could be going on?

Born2Run

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2010
Hove
I had this with my iPad 3 when I first upgraded to IOS 6... If I connected to the home network I set up from my Mac Mini to stream movies using Air Video, I never got any signal bars but if I accessed the internet from outside I did get them...

I discovered it was something to do with the IP address, I set a static IP address on my home network and suddenly the bars reappeared!

So I think it's just a problem with the DHCP settings on the iPad or network (I think if the IP address starts with 169) ... As long as it still accesses the web I wouldn't worry about it.

kdum8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Tokyo, Japan

This fixed the problem thank you!

I had this with my iPad 3 when I first upgraded to IOS 6... If I connected to the home network I set up from my Mac Mini to stream movies using Air Video, I never got any signal bars but if I accessed the internet from outside I did get them...

I discovered it was something to do with the IP address, I set a static IP address on my home network and suddenly the bars reappeared!

So I think it's just a problem with the DHCP settings on the iPad or network (I think if the IP address starts with 169) ... As long as it still accesses the web I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks for that, always good to hear other's experiences.

Problem resolved! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.