Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:58 PM   #1
Angel95
macrumors newbie

Is this a scam?

I posted a ad looking for MacBook Pro under $1000 and got a reply from a guy saying he had a 15 inch MacBook Pro 2.3 ghz core i7 that he would sell to me for $900 said there was no damage at all. I've seen videos on people robbing people they met on Craigslist, so I'm a little nervous about it. Does this sound like some type of scam or does the price seem legit for the laptop? I'm not trying to meet up with him and end up robbed, even in a public place. What's your opinion? Thanks (:
Angel95 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:04 AM   #2
ezramoore
macrumors 6502a

If you think you're getting a current gen 15" MBP for $900 you're kidding yourself.

It is likely stolen, or nonexistent. I wouldn't waste my time communicating with someone that was trying to sell a nearly new computer for almost 50% less than MSRP.

Look around those computers aren't going for that price.

If you go ahead with the transaction you are setting yourself up for (at the least) disappointment, and at the most physical harm or criminal activity.
ezramoore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:10 AM   #3
Angel95
macrumors newbie

Thank you, I asked for pictures and he said he will have to send them tomorrow - I'm guessing he will be sending me pictures off of google. I'm not going to go through with it, to much of a risk :\
Angel95 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:12 AM   #4
ezramoore
macrumors 6502a

One way of gauging an accurate price of an item for resale is to do an advanced search on eBay and select the checkbox for "Show only completed listings." You will see a green price when an item was sold, and a red price when the item was not sold.

Just an FYI, I use that method pretty frequently.
ezramoore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:28 AM   #5
iJays
macrumors regular

I thought you were looking for a MacBook Pro for under $1k?
Now someone reply to your ad and your question is if it is legit?

Are you legit?
iJays is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 01:39 AM   #6
Anonymous Freak
macrumors 601

Yeah... Have the person include your email address handwritten on a piece of paper with the computer if you want to be sure.

Then make the meeting in a populated public place (inside a coffee shop for example,) where he can't just openly rob you. Don't do it in a parking lot, and *DEFINITELY* don't do it offline. No money orders mailed, no Western Union, etc.

When there in person, ask if you can call Apple real quick to have them check the serial number. If he gets up and walks out, yeah, it was stolen.

But no, you're not going to get a recent 15" MacBook Pro for under $1000. Period.

20" Aluminum iMac 7,1 (mid-2007, Santa Rosa,) upgraded to 2.6 GHz Penryn, 6 GB RAM, 1 TB HD, 4 TB total external hard drive
Anonymous Freak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 04:56 AM   #7
Spink10
macrumors 68030

Call him up - ask him why is he selling - ask where you can meet - feel him out on the phone. I have sold over a dozen MBP's on CL - zero problems.
Spink10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 02:44 PM   #8
Bob Coxner
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Freak View Post
Yeah... Have the person include your email address handwritten on a piece of paper with the computer if you want to be sure.

Then make the meeting in a populated public place (inside a coffee shop for example,) where he can't just openly rob you. Don't do it in a parking lot, and *DEFINITELY* don't do it offline. No money orders mailed, no Western Union, etc.

When there in person, ask if you can call Apple real quick to have them check the serial number. If he gets up and walks out, yeah, it was stolen.

But no, you're not going to get a recent 15" MacBook Pro for under $1000. Period.
I would add that you don't describe the car you will be driving or what you will be wearing. There have been a number of robberies in parking lots as the seller/buyer was walking towards the agreed-upon inside location. Here is just one. This one happened at a busy McDonalds. http://www.cbs8.com/story/20371746/c...mission-valley

My personal choice would be a bank lobby. Armed guards and security cameras should discourage even stupid robbers. And, you can immediately check the cash to see if it's counterfeit or not. The lobby of a police station would be even better.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:36 AM   #9
ZacT94
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezramoore View Post
If you think you're getting a current gen 15" MBP for $900 you're kidding yourself.

It is likely stolen, or nonexistent. I wouldn't waste my time communicating with someone that was trying to sell a nearly new computer for almost 50% less than MSRP.

Look around those computers aren't going for that price.

If you go ahead with the transaction you are setting yourself up for (at the least) disappointment, and at the most physical harm or criminal activity.
2.3GHz could also mean early 2011 model. Apple did have them as a higher spec option and still sell them as refurbs.
ZacT94 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:35 AM   #10
Brian33
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacT94 View Post
2.3GHz could also mean early 2011 model. Apple did have them as a higher spec option and still sell them as refurbs.
Yup, I've got one I bought as a refurb in the summer of 2011. But $900 still seems too low, even for an Early 2011 model, to me.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 07:56 PM   #11
ZacT94
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian33 View Post
Yup, I've got one I bought as a refurb in the summer of 2011. But $900 still seems too low, even for an Early 2011 model, to me.
I agree. The lowest prices I'd be expecting would be $1300 at least.
ZacT94 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:10 PM   #12
PinoyAko
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
I would add that you don't describe the car you will be driving or what you will be wearing. There have been a number of robberies in parking lots as the seller/buyer was walking towards the agreed-upon inside location. Here is just one. This one happened at a busy McDonalds. http://www.cbs8.com/story/20371746/c...mission-valley

My personal choice would be a bank lobby. Armed guards and security cameras should discourage even stupid robbers. And, you can immediately check the cash to see if it's counterfeit or not. The lobby of a police station would be even better.
I made a transaction before on a police station parking lot. The seller gladly obliged. I bought an iPad during that time.
PinoyAko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:52 AM   #13
Ccrew
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinoyAko View Post
I made a transaction before on a police station parking lot. The seller gladly obliged. I bought an iPad during that time.
If you're a seller that knows the item is legit and not stolen it's a reasonable request. It's the ones that won't that you have to be concerned with.
Ccrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 11:26 AM   #14
glenthompson
macrumors Demi-God

I bought my MBP off Craigslist and did the transaction at the police station. The kid's step-dad was a policeman. We all felt safe in the transaction.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:45 PM   #15
jrasero
macrumors member

I have had only 100% positive experiences on CL BUT we live in a crazy world and there are a lot of scams on there

It does seems to good to be true. What year is the MBP? I would ask for extra pictures and ask why he is selling?

Every Mac computer I sold was on CL

So if you buy from me at least you will not get ripped.
jrasero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:54 AM   #16
Ardzii
macrumors newbie

Why not using Paypal for the transaction ? It'll cost you a little more for the commission and like $50 more for UPS but worth the cost to secure the transaction...
Ardzii is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice