Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:58 PM   #1
Angel95
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Is this a scam?

I posted a ad looking for MacBook Pro under $1000 and got a reply from a guy saying he had a 15 inch MacBook Pro 2.3 ghz core i7 that he would sell to me for $900 said there was no damage at all. I've seen videos on people robbing people they met on Craigslist, so I'm a little nervous about it. Does this sound like some type of scam or does the price seem legit for the laptop? I'm not trying to meet up with him and end up robbed, even in a public place. What's your opinion? Thanks (:
Angel95 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:04 AM   #2
ezramoore
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Washington State
If you think you're getting a current gen 15" MBP for $900 you're kidding yourself.

It is likely stolen, or nonexistent. I wouldn't waste my time communicating with someone that was trying to sell a nearly new computer for almost 50% less than MSRP.

Look around those computers aren't going for that price.

If you go ahead with the transaction you are setting yourself up for (at the least) disappointment, and at the most physical harm or criminal activity.
ezramoore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:10 AM   #3
Angel95
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Thank you, I asked for pictures and he said he will have to send them tomorrow - I'm guessing he will be sending me pictures off of google. I'm not going to go through with it, to much of a risk :\
Angel95 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:12 AM   #4
ezramoore
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Washington State
One way of gauging an accurate price of an item for resale is to do an advanced search on eBay and select the checkbox for "Show only completed listings." You will see a green price when an item was sold, and a red price when the item was not sold.

Just an FYI, I use that method pretty frequently.
ezramoore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:28 AM   #5
iJays
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
I thought you were looking for a MacBook Pro for under $1k?
Now someone reply to your ad and your question is if it is legit?

Are you legit?
iJays is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 01:39 AM   #6
Anonymous Freak
macrumors 601
 
Anonymous Freak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Cascadia
Yeah... Have the person include your email address handwritten on a piece of paper with the computer if you want to be sure.

Then make the meeting in a populated public place (inside a coffee shop for example,) where he can't just openly rob you. Don't do it in a parking lot, and *DEFINITELY* don't do it offline. No money orders mailed, no Western Union, etc.

When there in person, ask if you can call Apple real quick to have them check the serial number. If he gets up and walks out, yeah, it was stolen.

But no, you're not going to get a recent 15" MacBook Pro for under $1000. Period.
__________________

20" Aluminum iMac 7,1 (mid-2007, Santa Rosa,) upgraded to 2.6 GHz Penryn, 6 GB RAM, 1 TB HD, 4 TB total external hard drive
Anonymous Freak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 04:56 AM   #7
Spink10
macrumors 68030
 
Spink10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Call him up - ask him why is he selling - ask where you can meet - feel him out on the phone. I have sold over a dozen MBP's on CL - zero problems.
Spink10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 02:44 PM   #8
Bob Coxner
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Freak View Post
Yeah... Have the person include your email address handwritten on a piece of paper with the computer if you want to be sure.

Then make the meeting in a populated public place (inside a coffee shop for example,) where he can't just openly rob you. Don't do it in a parking lot, and *DEFINITELY* don't do it offline. No money orders mailed, no Western Union, etc.

When there in person, ask if you can call Apple real quick to have them check the serial number. If he gets up and walks out, yeah, it was stolen.

But no, you're not going to get a recent 15" MacBook Pro for under $1000. Period.
I would add that you don't describe the car you will be driving or what you will be wearing. There have been a number of robberies in parking lots as the seller/buyer was walking towards the agreed-upon inside location. Here is just one. This one happened at a busy McDonalds. http://www.cbs8.com/story/20371746/c...mission-valley

My personal choice would be a bank lobby. Armed guards and security cameras should discourage even stupid robbers. And, you can immediately check the cash to see if it's counterfeit or not. The lobby of a police station would be even better.
__________________
MBA i5 13/4/128, iPad 1, iPad 3, iPod Touch 5g
Bob Coxner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:36 AM   #9
ZacT94
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezramoore View Post
If you think you're getting a current gen 15" MBP for $900 you're kidding yourself.

It is likely stolen, or nonexistent. I wouldn't waste my time communicating with someone that was trying to sell a nearly new computer for almost 50% less than MSRP.

Look around those computers aren't going for that price.

If you go ahead with the transaction you are setting yourself up for (at the least) disappointment, and at the most physical harm or criminal activity.
2.3GHz could also mean early 2011 model. Apple did have them as a higher spec option and still sell them as refurbs.
ZacT94 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:35 AM   #10
Brian33
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: USA (Virginia)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacT94 View Post
2.3GHz could also mean early 2011 model. Apple did have them as a higher spec option and still sell them as refurbs.
Yup, I've got one I bought as a refurb in the summer of 2011. But $900 still seems too low, even for an Early 2011 model, to me.
__________________
Alu iMac: early '08 24" Core2Duo w/DIY Fusion Drive; MacBook Pro: early 2011 15" ; 1st-gen Time Capsule (working just fine, thank you); Mac mini late '12 quad Core i7
Brian33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 07:56 PM   #11
ZacT94
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian33 View Post
Yup, I've got one I bought as a refurb in the summer of 2011. But $900 still seems too low, even for an Early 2011 model, to me.
I agree. The lowest prices I'd be expecting would be $1300 at least.
ZacT94 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:10 PM   #12
PinoyAko
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
I would add that you don't describe the car you will be driving or what you will be wearing. There have been a number of robberies in parking lots as the seller/buyer was walking towards the agreed-upon inside location. Here is just one. This one happened at a busy McDonalds. http://www.cbs8.com/story/20371746/c...mission-valley

My personal choice would be a bank lobby. Armed guards and security cameras should discourage even stupid robbers. And, you can immediately check the cash to see if it's counterfeit or not. The lobby of a police station would be even better.
I made a transaction before on a police station parking lot. The seller gladly obliged. I bought an iPad during that time.
PinoyAko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:52 AM   #13
Ccrew
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinoyAko View Post
I made a transaction before on a police station parking lot. The seller gladly obliged. I bought an iPad during that time.
If you're a seller that knows the item is legit and not stolen it's a reasonable request. It's the ones that won't that you have to be concerned with.
Ccrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 11:26 AM   #14
glenthompson
macrumors Demi-God
 
glenthompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Virginia
I bought my MBP off Craigslist and did the transaction at the police station. The kid's step-dad was a policeman. We all felt safe in the transaction.
__________________
15" MBP (late 2011), iPhone 5
iPad Air, ATV3 Mac Pro 3,1
glenthompson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:45 PM   #15
jrasero
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NYC
I have had only 100% positive experiences on CL BUT we live in a crazy world and there are a lot of scams on there

It does seems to good to be true. What year is the MBP? I would ask for extra pictures and ask why he is selling?

Every Mac computer I sold was on CL

So if you buy from me at least you will not get ripped.
jrasero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:54 AM   #16
Ardzii
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Why not using Paypal for the transaction ? It'll cost you a little more for the commission and like $50 more for UPS but worth the cost to secure the transaction...
Ardzii is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is This a Scam ? netachi iPod touch 6 Aug 15, 2013 01:19 AM
iPhone: Is this a scam? piatti Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 4 Aug 11, 2013 11:39 AM
All iPads: Is this a scam stroked iPad Accessories 10 May 21, 2013 03:19 AM
Does this look like a scam? brent112 Buying Tips and Advice 6 Apr 1, 2013 02:23 AM
Is this scam? waloshin Wasteland 14 Dec 2, 2012 07:03 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:40 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC