Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 22, 2012, 02:32 AM   #1
araje
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fixed portrait even when in car dock

I have tried a lot but I haven't been able to figure out a way to have settings and the dialer app tow work with me in landscape when the phone is in landscape mode. The phone continues to be in portrait mode even when physically in landscape mode.
Looks very odd when it does that in the car dock and I am driving.
araje is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:52 AM   #2
Tyler23
macrumors 601
 
Tyler23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by araje View Post
I have tried a lot but I haven't been able to figure out a way to have settings and the dialer app tow work with me in landscape when the phone is in landscape mode. The phone continues to be in portrait mode even when physically in landscape mode.
Looks very odd when it does that in the car dock and I am driving.
Settings and phone do not rotate to landscape mode, ever. The only apple stock apps I can think of that do are safari, messages, music, calendar and mail.
Tyler23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:40 PM   #3
araje
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Oh what a shame. So apple expects us to use the iPhone in this mode while driving in a car ? It has to be better than this
araje is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:25 PM   #4
SnowLeopard OSX
macrumors 6502a
 
SnowLeopard OSX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern California
Use Siri to make call hands free while in the car.
__________________
iPad |4th gen Black/ 32GB/ iOS 7.0
iMac |G4 1.0 GHz/ 1.25 GHz PPCG4 (7445)
iPod |Classic Black/ 80GB|U2 edition 20GB
iPhone |4S White/16GB/ iOS 7.0|3G White/16GB iOS 4.2.1
SnowLeopard OSX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:36 PM   #5
araje
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Well yes I can use Siri for that but then here's a practical case.
I am on say interstate 5 and my next turn is 20 miles away. So the phone automatically shuts off and around 2 miles before the turn it wakes up by itself to announce the turn. At that time it just comes up with a screen with unlock slider looking like vertical slider and the maps fallen to the side while it announces the turn. Looks very funny. Don't tell me you haven't seen or noticed this. I am surprised how come this is not noticed.
Any suggestions ?
araje is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:07 AM   #6
bradkb
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by araje View Post
Well yes I can use Siri for that but then here's a practical case.
I am on say interstate 5 and my next turn is 20 miles away. So the phone automatically shuts off and around 2 miles before the turn it wakes up by itself to announce the turn. At that time it just comes up with a screen with unlock slider looking like vertical slider and the maps fallen to the side while it announces the turn. Looks very funny. Don't tell me you haven't seen or noticed this. I am surprised how come this is not noticed.
Any suggestions ?
Plug in a car charger and the screen wont shut off?
bradkb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:58 AM   #7
araje
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradkb View Post
Plug in a car charger and the screen wont shut off?
Well these are just workarounds.
I like the way my screen shuts off when the music continues on Bluetooth over car speakers and my next exit is like 80miles away. The screen shuts off and then automatically comes back up when I am 2 miles before my exit along with a announcement. At that time is what I am talking about - the upright slider and the fallen screen.
araje is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 01:44 AM   #8
araje
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Seriously, nobody finds this a problem ?
araje is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:24 AM   #9
snarestud940
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by araje View Post
Seriously, nobody finds this a problem ?
I don't think so
__________________
13" Aluminum Macbook (Late 2008), 21.5" iMac (2012)
iPod Touch 2nd Generation, 8 GB, Apple TV (2012)
The new iPad, 16 GB
iPhone 5, 16 GB, T-Mobile
snarestud940 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:44 AM   #10
ProudLoz
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by araje View Post
Seriously, nobody finds this a problem ?
I think it's because most people dock their iPhone in portrait mode...
ProudLoz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:49 AM   #11
stuaz
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
I always have my phone plugged in if I am using it as a Sat Nav (And in portrait mode, never landscape) so not a problem for me.
stuaz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 02:55 PM   #12
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68020
 
From A Buick 8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ky Close to CinCinnati
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuaz View Post
I always have my phone plugged in if I am using it as a Sat Nav (And in portrait mode, never landscape) so not a problem for me.
Op your time will be better spent training yourself to like ^ this view, then trying to find a fix for your issue with it.
__________________
Homemade Interocitor, iPad 4iPhone 5 32GB Black & Slate, iPod Touch 4th and 5th Gen, iPad 1st gen, iPhone 4, Two Apple TV's, -- 21.5-inch: 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 iMac.
From A Buick 8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:45 PM   #13
araje
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by From A Buick 8 View Post
Op your time will be better spent training yourself to like ^ this view, then trying to find a fix for your issue with it.
Yup, I am on it. Trying to get used to this view now.
But it's better than seeing the pull up scroll unlock
Gosh, this is like an incomplete implementation in iOS 6.

Thanks anyways
araje is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:29 AM   #14
numberforty1
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Canada
it's a cell phone
__________________
24" iMac 2.8 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo iTouch 2nd gen 32GB iPad 2 16GB Black iPhone 5 16GB white
numberforty1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 01:17 AM   #15
matttye
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lincoln, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by numberforty1 View Post
it's a cell phone
Useless comment. It's clearly more than just a phone.
__________________
iPad 2 16GB Black (WiFi+3G) -- iPhone 5s 64GB Space Grey.
matttye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:50 AM   #16
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68020
 
From A Buick 8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ky Close to CinCinnati
Quote:
Originally Posted by araje View Post
Yup, I am on it. Trying to get used to this view now.
But it's better than seeing the pull up scroll unlock
Gosh, this is like an incomplete implementation in iOS 6.

Thanks anyways
I have several Map apps Waze, MotionX and Apple maps and all of those i prefer in portrait mode. Good luck.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by numberforty1 View Post
it's a cell phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by matttye View Post
Useless comment. It's clearly more than just a phone.
To give him the benefit of the doubt, he did not say it's "Only" a cell phone
__________________
Homemade Interocitor, iPad 4iPhone 5 32GB Black & Slate, iPod Touch 4th and 5th Gen, iPad 1st gen, iPhone 4, Two Apple TV's, -- 21.5-inch: 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 iMac.
From A Buick 8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 03:26 PM   #17
takeshi74
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by araje View Post
Seriously, nobody finds this a problem ?
Nope. If it's a deal-breaker for you I know that there are Android devices that will do this. You need to select solutions that meet your needs and requirements.

The GPS receiver on any device will chew through batteries so I'd recommend powering it as well.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:44 PM   #18
araje
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by numberforty1 View Post
it's a cell phone
Hopefully you don't use it as just a cell phone

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi74 View Post
Nope. If it's a deal-breaker for you I know that there are Android devices that will do this. You need to select solutions that meet your needs and requirements.

The GPS receiver on any device will chew through batteries so I'd recommend powering it as well.
Well I actually came from the android world. On interstates I prefer portrait mode and in cities landscape helps since you get a better left and right view. But it's okay, there was no harm in asking. I am now trying to get used to the view.
araje is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car Dock with Aux? dikiem iPhone Accessories 2 Aug 8, 2013 10:28 AM
Car dock for iphone 5 jbachandouris iPhone Accessories 6 May 27, 2013 06:58 PM
iPhone in Car Mount/Dock? LERsince1991 iPhone Accessories 20 Jan 8, 2013 09:02 AM
Car dock/mount CharlieBrandt09 iPhone Accessories 3 Dec 28, 2012 12:09 PM
Car dock for iPhone 5 GreasyWeasel iPhone Accessories 0 Sep 21, 2012 08:58 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:55 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC