Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paul Chown

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
As a complete newbee i would like some advise on setting up my new iMac correctly, in particular the best way of setting up individual accounts, but with shared data....iTunes and Dropbox in particular

My new iMac primary function is to be a media hub for the whole family, however with iMessage and Facebook ingratiation i would like to setup 2 accounts, one for me and the other for my wife.

iTunes:
We share an iTunes account and would like both iMac user accounts to share the same iTunes library, playlists etc - is this possible? if so how?

Dropbox:
We heavily use Dropbox for our documents, photo's etc - again can i have dropbox installed on both user accounts updating the same folder (without having 2 dropbox folders taking up 80gb each!)

Exchange:
We use MS exchange with a shared mailbox (for business) I intend to install Parallels and W7 to run MS office, RDWeb app (Sage accounts, Payroll and other business applications) for when we need to work from home.
Am i able to run these applications in coherence mode with access from both accounts without installing twice?

iPhoto:
Can i point both user accounts iPhoto to the photo folders in Dropbox?

Sorry if these questions are a little dumb, but i want to install everything right first time!

thanks in advance....

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Hey, first congratulations to your new toy :) :apple:

I think what you wish for is all pretty doable, even though it probably belongs in the software forum. I think Dropbox should ask you during installation wether it should be installed for your user or all users.

With iTunes and iPhoto, just press "alt" while the program is opening up, you will then get to choose the location of your library. If you just choose the same path for both (for you it will lay in your music folder, for the other account you will have to navigate to /users/"your username"/music/iTunes and then hit ok. Same with iPhoto in the photos folder or of course the Dropbox folder, which sits in the users/"your username"/documents/dropbox.
You can always just move the library there and then specify the new path on program startup.

I don't know anything about exchange.
I hope this helps :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.