Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 22, 2012, 04:44 AM   #1
mentaluproar
macrumors 65816

splashtop performance on ipad 4

I use splashtop on my iPad 2 and am considering getting an ipad 4 soon. The higher resolution should be helpful for me. My concern is, will the higher resolution increase lag/reduce performance, or will the superior wifi radio and processor offset this?
Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:21 AM   #2
Random 995K
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentaluproar View Post
I use splashtop on my iPad 2 and am considering getting an ipad 4 soon. The higher resolution should be helpful for me. My concern is, will the higher resolution increase lag/reduce performance, or will the superior wifi radio and processor offset this?
The processor is so good that its impossible for the device to lag. I was using garageband recording in the background (which even has a warning because of its performance requirements) and watching youtube at the same time and still everything smooth as butter. The iPad 4 does not lag or drop FPS, at least it has never done so for me. So yes it will offset it.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:38 AM   #3
mentaluproar
macrumors 65816

No offense, but I need an opinion from someone who actually uses splashtop. It's like VNC, so there WILL be lag. I'm curious how that bump in resolution will manifest itself in terms of performance.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:46 AM   #4
mlovergaard
macrumors regular

I use splashtop on the iPad 4 and don't see much lag, sometimes if I am doing something very heavy there is a little but it's hardly noticeable.
mlovergaard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:59 AM   #5
Random 995K
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentaluproar View Post
No offense, but I need an opinion from someone who actually uses splashtop. It's like VNC, so there WILL be lag. I'm curious how that bump in resolution will manifest itself in terms of performance.
Well there is no lag on iphoto, imovie, garageband and high end games so that should be a good indicator unless this is a poorly made app.... just using some common sense. Or is there something else im missing.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 01:11 PM   #6
ZZ Bottom
macrumors 6502a

I use Splashtop on my iPad 4 routinely to manage my windows 8 iTunes server PC. I have on a few occasions accidentally started playing an HD video via VLC when I meant to drag it into iTunes... and they usually play smoothly including audio through to the iPad.

Lag seems to be very minimal, in other words it never calls to my attention. My server PC is an i7 2600k with an SSD boot drive, but the system just uses the built in graphics.

Also, I've never tinkered with the settings to run Splashtop at a retina resolution. By default it appears to run at 1024x768 despite being used from an iPad 4. For my purposes that resolution, although not crisp, it's more than adequate for remote management.

If there's something specific you would like tested I'm willing to give it a try. Otherwise I recommend the app easily.
ZZ Bottom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:41 PM   #7
mentaluproar
macrumors 65816

1080p resolution lag. Is that doable?