Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DannySP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2012
Madrid
Hello! Just 2 days with my 27" iMac and today I noticed a small dent on the bottom edge of the screen. Here is a picture that explains better:

imgimac-2.jpg

I don't know if I should ask for a replacement...

Have you notice any imperfections on the aluminum? Or any other defect on the screen such as dead/bright pixels?

Last edited:

DannySP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2012
Madrid
Me too, but I'm afraid of asking for a replacement and get another issue. The dent it's just 2mm and not so easy to see, depends on light position... But it bugs me anyway...

Jazwire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
Make sure you send your replacement off to be analyzed by an electron microscope, you may miss the next imperfection with your magnifying glass. Would be devastating if you had a few molecules out of place.

DannySP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2012
Madrid
LOL! Ok maybe I took the picture very close. What about the new one?

Last edited:

captmatt

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2008
If it has the 680MX, please exchange it. (I'm waiting for these to hit the refurbished store!)

DannySP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2012
Madrid
captmatt said:
If it has the 680MX, please exchange it. (I'm waiting for these to hit the refurbished store!)

No it has 675MX. Sorry no luck this time :p

Last edited:

Jazwire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
To be fair you asked a question, and I gave you sarcasm.

So I will now answer your question with my opinion, since you asked for peoples opinions.

No.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
If everything else is fine, just keep it. I know it bothers you now but in 3 months you won't even care. An imperfect panel would bother me a lot more, and what if the next one you receive has a bad one?

Jazwire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
Means your iMac don't have any imperfection?

Performance wise it has no imperfections. That is what I care about.

Does it have a tiny microscopic nick in it somewhere on the body, no clue, never checked, nor care too.

It is a computer, which is a tool for me to have fun, make money, and learn from. It is not a piece of art i hang on my wall with its sole purpose to admire its beauty.

"I" would not take your computer back.

You asked for opinions I gave you mine.

What "you" do is up to "you".

Not even sure why I took the bait on this thread, as they pop up all the time.

People asking what they should do, then make a big fuss, when the world doesn't agree with their OCD.

You are OCD great, you already know you can't live with this tiny nick, ask to exchange it. End of story.

2bcool2

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
If everything else is fine, just keep it. I know it bothers you now but in 3 months you won't even care. An imperfect panel would bother me a lot more, and what if the next one you receive has a bad one?

if it bugs you , replace it m it could indicate that its been dropped at some point and may go wrong because of an impact down the line ?

mine came with faulty hd and a kbrd with sticky out key

they must be rushing them to get them out in numbers .. ive always been my own quality control since apples are clearly on constant tea break hahaha

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
Make sure you send your replacement off to be analyzed by an electron microscope, you may miss the next imperfection with your magnifying glass. Would be devastating if you had a few molecules out of place.

When you pay almost 3K for a machine. It should be perfect.

Return it OP.

I don't understand you people who think you should keep products that come out of the box damaged.

Must have more money than brains, or just no brains at all.

Jazwire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
When you pay almost 3K for a machine. It should be perfect.

Return it OP.

I don't understand you people who think you should keep products that come out of the box damaged.

Must have more money than brains, or just no brains at all.

Wouldn't need to be 3k if people wouldn't return them for stupid reasons.
That 1/100 of an inch nick isn't damage.

I am glad some people have all this free time on their hands to micro analyze the most asinine things in life. Maybe thats why I do have more money than brains. I don't waste my time on stupid crap.

Mr-Stabby

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2004
To be fair, a substantial part of the reason iMacs are more expensive than other computers is their design. Apple pretty much sold this particular iMac on its design alone. So if it has an imperfection, i see no reason why you shouldn't send it back! It's not as if Apple are poor at this point in time!

Jazwire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
Please boys...

Now that I think on it, while I am not OCD and would of never noticed this in the 1st place.

I am however opportunistic, maybe you should contact Apple and try to work them for something like $100 App Store/Itunes card or some other Apple swag.

Aside from my personal reasons for not returning this, technically I wouldn't risk honestly trading an otherwise flawless operating iMac because of a minuscule nick and risk getting a flawless case with a real problem like stuck pixels, bad backlight bleed, etc.

boto

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2012
If you plan to exchange it than you have until January 7th, but expect a replacement coming mid-January or by the end of January. I requested a replacement the initial day (12/17) I received it for cosmetic marks and I was told January is when the new one will arrive. You might have to wait 2-3 weeks from the day you return it before your new one arrives. So if you can go without the machine in a few weeks than by no means go right ahead and replace, I personally would if it's in front.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
To be fair, the OP didn't ask whether he should ask for a replacement, just if any of us have noticed imperfections in our iMacs.

My response is that I hadn't looked that closely at the aluminum until now and don't see any imperfections. I did previously examine the display for dead/stuck pixels, light leak, and image retention, and haven't found any problems there, either.

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
It is so sad that we look at these small artifacts and get annoyed by them. What make us seek perfection, we see a line and expect it to be straight, we see a curve and expect in to be round. Sometimes I prefer a scratched finish to hide the scratches!

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
If you plan to exchange it than you have until January 7th, but expect a replacement coming mid-January or by the end of January. I requested a replacement the initial day (12/17) I received it for cosmetic marks and I was told January is when the new one will arrive. You might have to wait 2-3 weeks from the day you return it before your new one arrives. So if you can go without the machine in a few weeks than by no means go right ahead and replace, I personally would if it's in front.

Apple rep and I have it documented told me I could keep current iMac that's got a couple of marks until new one arrives. He said to it ignore the 14 day USPS mailing label.

When I get replacement iMac than I could ship iMac with marks back to apple.

No way would I wait another 4-5 weeks for another iMac.

DannySP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2012
Madrid
Apple rep and I have it documented told me I could keep current iMac that's got a couple of marks until new one arrives. He said to it ignore the 14 day USPS mailing label.

When I get replacement iMac than I could ship iMac with marks back to apple.

No way would I wait another 4-5 weeks for another iMac.

How are your "marks"??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.