Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

El Awesome

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
Zurich
Hey guys,

I have an audio setup for my room where I sit directly next to one of the speakers (30cm) while the other is in the corner about 2m away.
Obviously, I mainly hear the one next to me, which is not really stereo - not all.
Do I have any possibility to manually turn down this speaker until I hear both of them good?

I have a really powerful hi-fi setup, and I can reach 100dB in my room with the amp and the Mac only 50% turned up, so I really don't care if I loose some power.

Moving the other speaker or my desk is simply no option because I don't have any room left elsewhere.

I found the software EQ in iTunes, but that one is iTunes-only and doesen't even let me access the l/r channels from the stereo. Neither my amp can do that, it's just a powerful tube amplifier with some JBLs connected (sounds really nice..)

I know that OS X knows how to deal with stereo, because e.g. when you send an email, you have the tone going from left to right.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Your tiny listening room doesn't seem ideal for music. Generally good headphones will outperform most small speaker setups.

edit: yes there's a balance control in System Preferences / Audio / Output

El Awesome

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
Zurich
Your tiny listening room doesn't seem ideal for music. Generally good headphones will outperform most small speaker setups.

edit: yes there's a balance control in System Preferences / Audio / Output

Generally they will, yes, but I don't have a small speaker setup... otherwise I wouldn't do that hassle.

edit: lol WTF I found it.
Thanks. I'm a retard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.