Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:33 PM   #1
skysailing
macrumors regular

Hotspot Confusion

Can somebody who has/understands how Mobile Hotspots work help me? I have put money away for the next generation iPhone and I am getting a Retina MacBook Pro in March. I go to A LOT of places that have SUCKY wifi and I want to know what the hell a Mobile Hotspot is and how it works. I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan from AT&T. What am I supposed to buy? Is it a freaking device or an add-on? Will it hurt my plan?
skysailing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:42 PM   #2
SnowLeopard OSX
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailing View Post
Can somebody who has/understands how Mobile Hotspots work help me? I have put money away for the next generation iPhone and I am getting a Retina MacBook Pro in March. I go to A LOT of places that have SUCKY wifi and I want to know what the hell a Mobile Hotspot is and how it works. I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan from AT&T. What am I supposed to buy? Is it a freaking device or an add-on? Will it hurt my plan?
Not sure about how it'll affect your current grandfathered AT&T unlimited data plan (so you might want to call them up and check before you add mobile hot spot capabilities).

Adding a mobile hotspot option to your data plan allows you to tether data from your mobile device to another device over a WLAN. This allows you to tether and consume data from your mobile device pretty much anywhere you're able to get signal from your carrier's network to pretty much any sort of device -- including your notebook/laptop and your tablet.

Definitely look into getting one of these if you're constantly in non wi-fi zones or really crappy wi-fi zones and you need access to a faster data network:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotspot_(Wi-Fi)
iPhone |4S White/16GB/ iOS 7.0|3G White/16GB iOS 8.0
SnowLeopard OSX is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:58 PM   #3
skysailing
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard OSX View Post
Not sure about how it'll affect your current grandfathered AT&T unlimited data plan (so you might want to call them up and check before you add mobile hot spot capabilities).

Adding a mobile hotspot option to your data plan allows you to tether data from your mobile device to another device over a WLAN. This allows you to tether and consume data from your mobile device pretty much anywhere you're able to get signal from your carrier's network to pretty much any sort of device -- including your notebook/laptop and your tablet.

Definitely look into getting one of these if you're constantly in non wi-fi zones or really crappy wi-fi zones and you need access to a faster data network:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotspot_(Wi-Fi)
Thanks
skysailing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:03 PM   #4
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

You can't tether on an unlimited plan on AT&T.
They will make you switch plans to have official tethering enabled.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:05 PM   #5
radioking
macrumors member

The only plans that include tethering on AT&T are the $50 5gb plan and the mobile share plans. The only way to tether on the unlimited plan is to jailbreak, but once they figure out you are doing it they will send you a warning that if you do it again they will take the unlimited plan away.
radioking is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:38 PM   #6
Bob Coxner
macrumors 6502a

In another thread users were touting tether.com It runs through your browser, so apparently can't be tracked by your carrier as a tether.

Here's a story describing how it works: http://lifehacker.com/5892090/tether...aking-required

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone