Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
The percent of women doubles in a decade. Those living with AIDS/HIV in MA is at historic high levels.

2002 there are 13,780 living with the disease or virus in MA. That's a 6% rise from prior year. 28% of those with HIV/AIDS are women, which is double the % point of a decade ago. A large number of women have contacted infection through hetersexual sex.

Dr. Jean McGuire, assistant commissioner of public health & Director of the HIV/Aids Bureau, "The increase can be partly be attributed to better data collection. The rate of infection has not slowed. The state's data at this point indicates likelihood of a steady state of infection." There budget was slashed this year $51m to $39m.

Among men homosexual sex continues to be the mode of transfer.

Latinos & blacks have an 8 - 10 times the rate of whites with HIV/AIDS.

Today's Report:

*Provincetown has the highest rate of HIV/AIDS caser per 100,000 people, followed by Holyoke, Boston, Springfield, New Bedford, and Worcester.

*57% of the HIV/AIDS cases in Fall River are women, the highest in MA.

*327 people in MA died last year of AIDS, up from 300 in 1999.

Boston Globe 12/2/02

Spike Spiegel

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2002
Massachusetts
thats not good news. at least im not too close to the areas mentioned( I live in foxboro, and go to college in n. dartmouth) i know people who run a high risk of getting it, only they dont seem to care, i guess personlality plays a large roll.

Macette

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2002
Melbourne
i don't think you can get HIV from living near it, Spike... ;)

But on the topic, the same thing is happening in Melbourne Australia, despite the overall HIV rate dropping around the country. I think that because of the combos that are available to fight it now, people think they'll live forever anyway - they're not too worried about taking 60 pills every day for the rest of their lives. I've got a couple of positive friends, and they hate every second of it. But it's more like life in prison than a death sentence these days.

BenderBot1138

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2002
AID/HIV...

All Physicians and medical experts know that avoidance and long term eradication of AIDs/HIV depends only on monogamous relations from a young age (or abstaining).

:cool:

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
According to a UN report, women compromise ~50% of cases worldwide. Also an increasing number contact the virus via heterosexual contact. There needs to be a stonger & different message in AIDS prevention campaigns, Dr. Lisa Hirschhorn, Director of HIV Medcal Care & research @ Dimmock Community Health Center in Roxbury.

There is a need to target high risk populations, women. Abstinance is best till marriage, a monogamous relationship.

The condom if defective will allow passage of the virus, microscopic.

Spike Spiegel

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2002
Massachusetts
Originally posted by Macette
i don't think you can get HIV from living near it, Spike... ;)

But on the topic, the same thing is happening in Melbourne Australia, despite the overall HIV rate dropping around the country. I think that because of the combos that are available to fight it now, people think they'll live forever anyway - they're not too worried about taking 60 pills every day for the rest of their lives. I've got a couple of positive friends, and they hate every second of it. But it's more like life in prison than a death sentence these days.

i wasnt impying it was airborn. i meant that, as a college student, one is exposed to many different things, HIV being one of them, from certain activities;) ;)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by Spike Spiegel
i meant that, as a college student, one is exposed to many different things, HIV being one of them, from certain activities;) ;)

Face it, whether your in college or not, you still have a chance of being exposed to it. You're not implying you're going to stop having sex after you get out of college, are you? ;)

D

BenderBot1138

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2002
And I told two friends, and they told two friends...

Hate to bang the monagamy drum... but imagine you are born disease free (as most are). You never have sexual contact until you commit to a lifelong relationship. So long as your partner has done the same, how could AIDS from multiple sex partners ever threaten the two of you?

AID/HIV doesn't result from having sex with virgins.

Here's a great analogy: If you use a PC your risk of contracting a virus is depends on 50,000 known viruses. If you use a Mac, your chances are very much reduced of contracting a virus.

:cool:

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
Education is the key, how to get people to avoid risky behavior? I can't imagine what it would be like growing up today. I was already married when AIDS was 1st diagnosed. There was fear, mainly from a lack of knowledge of how the virus was transmitted. Drug abuse and Homosexual contact still remain the most risky, ex ETOH, & IV use. Adult sex, responsible for own actions and being honest with one another makes it as safe as it can get.

Please get educated! :)

gerror

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2001
Netherlands
I saw on tv this week that in the Netherlands almost nobody gets aids anymore due to good (and expensive) medicins. Tough, those people have to be on med the rest of their life.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
They also have to learn to tolerate side effects like nausea, headaches, abdominal pain, rash, fever, diarrhea, anorexia, somnolence, malaise, insomnia, vomiting, heartburn, diffifulty breathing, taste changes, & numbness extremities. More serious seizures, pancreatitis, anemia, and other blood disorders. Alot of drug interactions. Cost is prohibitive example Restovir 100 mg capsule #180 would cost $309.35.

The HIV virus can become resistant to a medication, which means it is no longer effective. There currently is no cure! Doctors are working a vaccine, that is currently in testing.

Thinking that if they take medications there is no problem, is a fallacy.

gerror

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2001
Netherlands
Thinking that if they take medications there is no problem, is a fallacy.
I didn't say there is no problem anymore. I mean the docters are working on it but it takes a long time before this problem is solved.
I also think poor countries like South Africa should reprduce those medicins themself so it's much cheaper when they buy it from the companies.

On a bigger level, I think the western world isn't too eager to help the 3rd world. With aids or hunger, but that's a whole other story.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.