Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Dec 23, 2012, 04:46 AM   #1
blinkie
macrumors regular

Turn based strategy game suggestions for my underpowered comp

Hi.
Does anyone have some strategy games suggestions for my lowly whitebook that has an NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, 2 GHz processor and 4 GB of RAM?
Thanks in advance and merry xmas,
B
blinkie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 06:17 AM   #2
n8mac
macrumors 6502

Civilization 4 should work fine on that. Very in depth but rewarding game. I still play it to this day. It has two expansions; warlords and beyond the sword which you can get in one box. It does need the DVD to play though.
n8mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:07 AM   #3
blinkie
macrumors regular

n8mac thanks. I was under the impression that I needed a dedicated graphics card to run Civilisation 4. I'm glad to be corrected.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:10 AM   #4
Acamerainjapan
macrumors newbie

best game ever made: X-Com UFO defense (the old one). I have it running on my machine with Boxer. Give it a google.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:41 AM   #5
blinkie
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acamerainjapan View Post
best game ever made: X-Com UFO defense (the old one). I have it running on my machine with Boxer. Give it a google.
Thanks Acamerainjapan, it looks good and Boxer looks great!

If anyone else stumbles on this thread looking for lower system requirement games... I myself would like to recomend Battle for Wesnoth.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:55 AM   #6
NunoBerny
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkie View Post
Thanks Acamerainjapan, it looks good and Boxer looks great!

If anyone else stumbles on this thread looking for lower system requirement games... I myself would like to recomend Battle for Wesnoth.
I played "Battle for Wesnoth" on my Amiga (specs don't get much lower than that!) for years and it was great.

Yesterday, I bought Civ IV Complete for a measly 12.99EUR, at Steam. It usually costs 49.99EUR, so I guess it was good deal.
Haven't played it yet,though.
NunoBerny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:20 PM   #7
iMacFarlane
macrumors 65816

Battle for Wesnoth is a great game.

I love Turn-Based Strategy more than any other genre, and I have to recommend a gem from the late 90's called M.A.X. from Interplay. Stupid story, dated graphics. Best. Gameplay. Ever.

At Gog.com, you can get it (and it's inferior sequel) for $2.99. It'll run in Boxer, and you can choose true TBS gameplay or an innovative 'simultaneous' mode, but I stick with the turns model. The sequel is Windows only, but seriously, the old DOS original is the one you want.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games