Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 23, 2012, 06:09 AM   #1
reddevil0728
macrumors regular

No music on iPhone but iTunes says otherwise...

Please take a look at the following image, there's NO music in it.

Please take a look at the following image from "About", it confirms there are ZERO music.

Take a look at the following image of my iTunes. I have selected my iPhone and what music is in it. It shows that there are supposedly "unysnced" music.

However, if you look at the following image, I have unchecked the "Sync Music" check box under the Music tab when iPhone 5 is selected.

I am not sure how this happen but I do know that I have experienced this since I got my iPhone 4S. A brief history is that my old iPhone 4S has got to be replaced hence I backed up everything using iCloud. When I got the replacement, I just sign into iCloud and everything is set up for me just that I have got to sync my music and that's when I realised these "unsynced music".

This carries foward to when I replace my iPhone 4S with iPhone 5. I also backed up everything using iCloud and have it set up my iPhone 5.

It ain't really affecting anything but it's just bothering/irritating me.

Please help!
reddevil0728 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 07:29 AM   #2
tann
macrumors 65816

Do you have any podcasts on?? My iPad was confusing me with this sorta thing but then I realised I had a few podcasts in the podcasts app that were being counted.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 07:33 AM   #3
reddevil0728
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tann View Post
Do you have any podcasts on?? My iPad was confusing me with this sorta thing but then I realised I had a few podcasts in the podcasts app that were being counted.
nope. zero podcast on both itunes library and iphone.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 07:46 AM   #4
tann
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddevil0728 View Post
nope. zero podcast on both itunes library and iphone.
hmm,I don't know what that symbol to the left of the song means, but maybe try syncing those exact songs onto the phone, then deleting them (via itunes sync) and they might disappear from there?
Old Dec 23, 2012, 07:48 AM   #5
reddevil0728
macrumors regular

Quote:
hmm,I don't know what that symbol to the left of the song means, but maybe try syncing those exact songs onto the phone, then deleting them (via itunes sync) and they might disappear from there?
If I am not wrong they are the "syncing" symbol. When the music start syncing, black will fill it up, and when it's done syncing, the symbol will disappear.

I have done that, but it merrily just add a new entry below it without the symbol. Those music with the symbol beside are like "grey out"
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:56 AM   #6
tann
macrumors 65816

Quote:
If I am not wrong they are the "syncing" symbol. When the music start syncing, black will fill it up, and when it's done syncing, the symbol will disappear.

I have done that, but it merrily just add a new entry below it without the symbol. Those music with the symbol beside are like "grey out"
I would say try restoring, but maybe someone else will be able to help on here?
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:57 AM   #7
reddevil0728
macrumors regular

Quote:
I would say try restoring, but maybe someone else will be able to help on here?
I am not really keen at restoring, doing so I will still be using iCloud to set up everything and it will be the same problem
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:49 AM   #8
JAT
macrumors 603

Isn't it more of an iTunes issue on the computer? Perhaps there is a corrupted prefs or library file or something.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:52 AM   #9
mattroman246
macrumors 6502

I had this happen once, had to do a restore but it fixed the issue.
Game Center ID: matthewdanger
mattroman246 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:04 PM   #10
reddevil0728
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
Isn't it more of an iTunes issue on the computer? Perhaps there is a corrupted prefs or library file or something.
iPad, iPod touch, iPod nano all is fine

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattroman246 View Post
I had this happen once, had to do a restore but it fixed the issue.
Yea that will definitely solve the problem. I can't imagine doing a restore without using iCloud to set up again. It's gonna be a nightmare
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:25 PM   #11
Defender2010
macrumors 68000

Ok, what are the status of the songs shown in your screenshots in the Music section of iTunes? Are they present? This might shine more light on your situation...If the iCloud status symbol is the same as your screenshots, this is solvable too...
Secondly, try syncing a playlist (use a short one, or just create one with 3 or 4 songs for this purpose) to the iphone, by ticking that box and let the music transfer to your phone. Disconnect it from iTunes. Check only if the synced songs are present. If so, reconnect to iTunes, untick the Music sync box and this will delete the music from the phone. Disconnect. Reconnect, check if the situation is the same....let me know
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:29 PM   #12
reddevil0728
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender2010 View Post
Ok, what are the status of the songs shown in your screenshots in the Music section of iTunes? Are they present? This might shine more light on your situation...If the iCloud status symbol is the same as your screenshots, this is solvable too...
Secondly, try syncing a playlist (use a short one, or just create one with 3 or 4 songs for this purpose) to the iphone, by ticking that box and let the music transfer to your phone. Disconnect it from iTunes. Check only if the synced songs are present. If so, reconnect to iTunes, untick the Music sync box and this will delete the music from the phone. Disconnect. Reconnect, check if the situation is the same....let me know
The status of my songs in the screenshot that you have seen is "greyout". The music section is located under the iPhone 5.

If you are referring to the music in my iTunes Library Music section, then it is black, present and clickable.

Dun really understand what you mean by iCloud status symbol, but if you talking about the addition of the iCloud symbol column in the new iTunes 11, then nothing is displayed there.

Did that before. same situation
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:34 PM   #13
Defender2010
macrumors 68000

Quote:
The status of my songs in the screenshot that you have seen is "greyout". The music section is located under the iPhone 5.

If you are referring to the music in my iTunes Library Music section, then it is black, present and clickable.

Dun really understand what you mean by iCloud status symbol, but if you talking about the addition of the iCloud symbol column in the new iTunes 11, then nothing is displayed there.

Did that before. same situation
I was referring to your iTunes Library Music section, but if the same songs are there, the file is on the computer and they play, that's fine.
Did you try the syncing a short playlist method?
Have you tried going to Usage on the iPhone and make sure there is no data in the Music app, if so, delete it.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:44 PM   #14
reddevil0728
macrumors regular

Quote:
I was referring to your iTunes Library Music section, but if the same songs are there, the file is on the computer and they play, that's fine.
Did you try the syncing a short playlist method?
Have you tried going to Usage on the iPhone and make sure there is no data in the Music app, if so, delete it.
yes the file are physically there

Yes i did, basically on the iphone it just shows the 3 songs i synced from the playlist. but in itunes, under iphone 5 > music section, it will show the 3 songs that is black and the it will still display the those greyout "unsynced" songs u see in photo 3.

There's no data.

Not sure if this helps. all those greyout songs are songs that have been purchased from itunes not songs that i added in myself. but I have bought more songs on itunes, but not all of them are in those "unsynced" songs that u see

fyi, when i check the 'manually manage music and videos" option, i can actually delete those unsynced songs, but as soon as i click sync again, it will reappear.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:49 PM   #15
Defender2010
macrumors 68000

Quote:
yes the file are physically there

Yes i did, basically on the iphone it just shows the 3 songs i synced from the playlist. but in itunes, under iphone 5 > music section, it will show the 3 songs that is black and the it will still display the those greyout "unsynced" songs u see in photo 3.

There's no data.

Not sure if this helps. all those greyout songs are songs that have been purchased from itunes not songs that i added in myself. but I have bought more songs on itunes, but not all of them are in those "unsynced" songs that u see

fyi, when i check the 'manually manage music and videos" option, i can actually delete those unsynced songs, but as soon as i click sync again, it will reappear.
Perhaps you could delete the files from iTunes totally, see if they are gone in the iPhone music section, and then re-download from iTunes.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:49 PM   #16
reddevil0728
macrumors regular

Quote:
Perhaps you could delete the files from iTunes totally, see if they are gone in the iPhone music section, and then re-download from iTunes.
did that. it's still there.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 01:14 PM   #17
Defender2010
macrumors 68000

Quote:
did that. it's still there.
did you hide these purchases in icloud?
Old Dec 23, 2012, 01:16 PM   #18
reddevil0728
macrumors regular

Quote:
did you hide these purchases in icloud?
don't think i did. how to check?
Old Dec 23, 2012, 01:24 PM   #19
Defender2010
macrumors 68000

Quote:
don't think i did. how to check?
keep a copy of these 'problem' songs in a folder somewhere just to have. In iTunes, go to purchased on the right side and find these songs then delete them by clicking on the X on the top left corner. Do this for these songs only and see if the issue remains. Also, check the iTunes app on the iPhone and look for any downloads that may be stuck there.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 01:26 PM   #20
reddevil0728
macrumors regular

Quote:
keep a copy of these 'problem' songs in a folder somewhere just to have. In iTunes, go to purchased on the right side and find these songs then delete them by clicking on the X on the top left corner. Do this for these songs only and see if the issue remains. Also, check the iTunes app on the iPhone and look for any downloads that may be stuck there.
oh ok. i got it. did that.. same problem. i think resign to restoring probably
Old Dec 23, 2012, 01:29 PM   #21
Defender2010
macrumors 68000

Quote:
oh ok. i got it. did that.. same problem. i think resign to restoring probably
shame,,,well a restore will do it, as many have suggested
Old Dec 23, 2012, 01:30 PM   #22
reddevil0728
macrumors regular

Quote:
shame,,,well a restore will do it, as many have suggested
i was wondering if i can selectively setup icloud with stuff i want
Old Dec 23, 2012, 01:39 PM   #23
Defender2010
macrumors 68000

Quote:
i was wondering if i can selectively setup icloud with stuff i want
for example?
Old Dec 23, 2012, 02:00 PM   #24
reddevil0728
macrumors regular

Quote:
for example?
not to sync settings of music. if not same thing will happen
Old Dec 23, 2012, 06:25 PM   #25
bushido
macrumors 603

did u try to turn off the music tab on itunes and do a sync, then enable the music tap again and sync once more

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone