Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
I have tried twice installing windows 8 pro onto my rMBP via bootcamp but failed both times.

After the step "Getting files ready for installation" completes, my macbook restarts as expected - launches back into the windows installation however the screen goes black with a purple stripe (see pic). The cursor is visible on the purple section however it looks squashed.

windows-8-clean-install-16.png

35dd9gy.jpg

I deleted my bootcamp partition and tried again with the same result.

Am I doing something wrong?

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Unfortunately no. I just finished installing Windows 8 on my mini and everything went surprisingly smooth. The only issue I'm having is over scan on my monitor hooked up via HDMI. I have big black borders around the whole screen.

tekkboi

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2013
Reboot Windows 8 in safe mode. (While win 8 loads hold down the Fn + F8 keys). Windows will then go to "Advanced startup" Choose "Troubleshoot" and "Advanced options" click "Startup settings" Choose "Enable low resolution video mode" When its done, Windows will magically restart normally and be ready to set up user account and install drivers.

Windows 8 just doesn't know what to do with the retina display resolution on some MBPr's yet at boot.

Last edited:

Blunders

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2013
windows 8 issue macbook pro retina

Hello,

I had the same problem when I installed windows 8 on rMBP, also I am trying to deal with this purple - black screen that is caused the wrong resolution settings apparently.

I started windows 8 in safe mode en enabled low resolution settings. My computer restarted and everything was okay, it seemed. After that I installed the windows drivers because that was recommended on other forums.

Now when I start my computer in windows mode the purple black screen is back and for some sort of reason I can't get restart in safe mode. A moment ago I deleted the windows partition and I'm ready to try it again but I hope that someone can advise about what I'm doing wrong...Or what I should do.

Has anyone experienced the same problem? Or has a clue, by reading this post, of what I'm doing wrong

Thanks in advance for helping, sorry if I explain it vague, English is not my native language so my vocabulary is limited.

Regards,

Ron

Swiss-G

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Hello,

I had the same problem when I installed windows 8 on rMBP, also I am trying to deal with this purple - black screen that is caused the wrong resolution settings apparently.

I started windows 8 in safe mode en enabled low resolution settings. My computer restarted and everything was okay, it seemed. After that I installed the windows drivers because that was recommended on other forums.

Now when I start my computer in windows mode the purple black screen is back and for some sort of reason I can't get restart in safe mode. A moment ago I deleted the windows partition and I'm ready to try it again but I hope that someone can advise about what I'm doing wrong...Or what I should do.

Has anyone experienced the same problem? Or has a clue, by reading this post, of what I'm doing wrong

Thanks in advance for helping, sorry if I explain it vague, English is not my native language so my vocabulary is limited.

Regards,

Ron

OS X 10.8.3 will support Windows 8 via bootcamp and should include the correct drivers.

Should be released any day now.

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
Unsure why you are getting that screen, I installed W8 pro on the rMBP and didn't have the resolution issue.

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
Hello,

Regards,

Ron

I had the same issue- there are two ways around it.

1- plug in an external monitor for set up

2- install ntfs for mac and you need to access the windows partition and delete the standard display driver file, when you restart into windows it repairs its self and all is good. ( I did this method as I didn't have a monitor, however I can't remember the name of the file, I googled things like "windows 8 install MacBook retina blank screen" and I eventually found a thread on another forum describing how to do it)

Sorry I don't have more information, goodluck

----------

Hello,

Regards,

Ron

Found it: install paragon ntfs free trial and follow these instructions:

Part 3b: Fixing Windows 8

For me, I experienced the black screen issue, where it would just sit there forever. A fix for this is to remove the igdkm64.sys from C:\Windows\System32\Drivers.

I just trashed the file and emptied trash and then rebooted and it did a quick repair process and voila!

heres the original link if you need it

http://thetecherra.com/2012/12/11/tutorial-install-windows-8-on-a-mac-via-native-efi/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.