Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nanogirl21

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2011
Midwest United States
What is the different between a tethered and non tethered jailbreak?

I am on a JB 4s 5.1.1 and I really want to update my phone but i’m not sure if I should I have been waiting and waiting but I really don’t think a JB is going to come out

The only reason why I am jail broken is for:
TetherMe
Bite SMS
IntelliseenX
Tom Tom Navigation App

Is there a tethered jailbreak for 4s? What do you guys recommend I should do?

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
A tethered jailbreak is just as it sounds:
In order to boot into a jailbreak state, you must use the computer to do so (you are tethered to the computer for that jailbreak)

An untethered can boot into a jailbreak state with no restrictions or outside assistance.

There is an untethered jailbreak for 4S on 5.1.1
Use Absinthe 2.0.4

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
There's no tethered jail break for the 4S. Most up to date is untethered 5.1.1 for your device.

Check my signature for more details.

nanogirl21

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2011
Midwest United States
A tethered jailbreak is just as it sounds:
In order to boot into a jailbreak state, you must use the computer to do so (you are tethered to the computer for that jailbreak)

An untethered can boot into a jailbreak state with no restrictions or outside assistance.

There is an untethered jailbreak for 4S on 5.1.1
Use Absinthe 2.0.4

I already have a jailbreak on 4S on 5.1.1

----------

There's no tethered jail break for the 4S. Most up to date is untethered 5.1.1 for your device.

Check my signature for more details.

your signature did not appear

BlueRaider

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2012
Tethered jailbreaks for the most part indicate a low level exploit in the BootROM. They are much harder to develop. They make untethered jailbreaks easier because it allows jailbreak data to be injected onto the phone easier. A tethered jailbreak for the 4S is likely to never happen.

An untethered jailbreak such as Absinthe (what you're using at 5.1.1) is a higher level jailbreak that occurs at the Kernel level and user land level. These vunlerabilities are easier to find and somewhat easier to exploit meaning this type of jailbreak is most likely to be used as the iOS 6 jailbreak.

A tethered jailbreak for the 4S and 5 would most likely mean somebody found a really low level vulnerability. This would most likely allow the device to be jailbroken (tethered) for life. It would also allow untether exploits to be more easily utilized.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.