Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:20 AM   #1
pixelsinthesky
macrumors newbie

AppleCare and Formatting

I made sure to search the forums beforehand, but I couldn't find it anywhere. Do I lose the AppleCare if I give the Mac to someone else (ie. is it vinculated to the computer's serial number or to my Apple ID?)? Furthermore, if I reinstall the OS, do I lose it? I'll receive a lightly used MBA from a relative and I would like to restore the Mac to factory settings, but I won't do so with that means I'll lose the coverage.
pixelsinthesky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:53 AM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelsinthesky View Post
I made sure to search the forums beforehand, but I couldn't find it anywhere. Do I lose the AppleCare if I give the Mac to someone else (ie. is it vinculated to the computer's serial number or to my Apple ID?)? Furthermore, if I reinstall the OS, do I lose it? I'll receive a lightly used MBA from a relative and I would like to restore the Mac to factory settings, but I won't do so with that means I'll lose the coverage.
AppleCare follows the device, not the owner.

AppleCare
AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac or Apple Display
  • You can buy AppleCare any time during the first year warranty period, so you don't have to buy it at time of purchase.
  • You can check your remaining warranty and/or AppleCare coverage here
  • AppleCare will extend the 1 year warranty for an additional 2 years, for a total of 3 years coverage from the date of your Mac purchase.
    It also extends telephone support from 90 days, which is included with your original warranty, to a total of 3 years.
  • You cannot buy AppleCare again or renew it once it expires.
  • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover damage from accidents, spills, etc. They only cover manufacturing defects.
  • AppleCare+ provides some coverage for accidental damage, but is only available for the iPad and iPhone, not for Apple computers.
  • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover batteries that have worn out. They only cover defective batteries.
  • You can buy AppleCare from Apple or from other sources, such as Amazon, B&H Photo Video, L.A. Computer Company and others. Exercise caution when buying from sites such as eBay, as some AppleCare offers have been scams.
  • For more detailed questions, read the AppleCare Protection Plan (pdf) agreement.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:29 AM   #3
Orange Crane
macrumors 6502

You can reformat and reinstall the os as much as youd like, it will not affect your AppleCare coverage.
Orange Crane is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air