Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johngrussell

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
Hi,
I've got a 2012 mbp with Crucial 510 SSD HD and 16GB Ram. I also have AT&T Uverse with approx. 1.4MB upload speed. I'm trying to upload some videos to smugmug but it is very slow, approx.185kb/sec. upload speed according to Activity Monitor. Is there a way to check if my settings are correct and set to maximize uploads etc.
Thank you.
John
Merry Christmas.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Internet service speeds are normally quoted in megabits per second. Your computer is measuring megabytes per second.

Your measured upload speeds look fine for your Internet speed.

As an example, I've attached a speedtest screenshot of my upload speed, which also happens to be 1.5Mb/s.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
Internet service speeds are normally quoted in megabits per second. Your computer is measuring megabytes per second.

Your measured upload speeds look fine for your Internet speed.

As an example, I've attached a speedtest screenshot of my upload speed, which also happens to be 1.5Mb/s.

Exactly what I was thinking, but didn't want to insult his intelligence. Perhaps he has a symmetrical 10/10 line

johngrussell

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
Thank you all for your replies. Still learning this stuff and the mega-bits v. bytes is confusing to say the least. I did do an upload speed test as suggested before I posted that was 1.4MB/sec. When i was looking at Activity Monitor during an upload to Smugmug, I was getting 185KB/sec. So it seems that a speed test of 1.5MB/sec. is equivalent to approx. 185KB/sec. actually upload speed according to one reply I got.
Thank you.
John

Daniel L

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
Multiply by 8 to convert from bytes to bits. :)
185 kilobytes*8=1480 kilobits/second.

Divide by 1000 to convert to megabits.
1480kilobits/1000=1.48 megabits/second

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.