Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:17 AM   #1
bgsnmky
macrumors regular

iMac on the move

Just curious people that are taking their imac places..example..I will be taking full advantage of my one to one sessions at the store and needing to take my imac 27 inch with me!

I looked at ilugger etc. and yes I know it is worth 200.00 for a 3000 dollar machine..but just curious what other carry/wheeled bags people have used.

The store told me they have even seen suitcases with pillows in it etc.

That is better then carrying a 3000 maching across the parking lot etc. I was very nervous.
bgsnmky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:18 AM   #2
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

Do you have the box? It has a handle.
MisterKeeks is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:35 AM   #3
bgsnmky
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterKeeks View Post
good point and yes I do....!!

I should try to see how heavy...but good for now!!
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:15 PM   #4
CrickettGrrrl
macrumors 6502a

When I've had to take iMacs into the Apple store (including a friend's god-awful heavy enormous iMac) I pack the mac in its original box and strap it to a folding wheely cart with a bungy cord like the attached foto. Wheels and leverage are way better than the invention of sliced bread.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2012-12-23 at 1.11.46 PM.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	385416  

Last edited by CrickettGrrrl; Dec 23, 2012 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Sperlling
CrickettGrrrl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:39 PM   #5
flynz4
macrumors 68030

We have two iLuggers and we think they are fantastic.

When my daughter was in grad school up in Canada... she would often transport her iMac back and forth using the original box every month or two. It is bulky, tough to handle... and quickly starts falling apart. If you have the "retail box" plus the brown cardboard "shipping box"... then it lasts a bit longer... but it is still bulky and tough to move. I bought her an iLugger and it is so easy to use.

I was so impressed... that I bought a 2nd one for myself... along with a TBD. I often pack it up and take it with us to our beach condo when I decide to "work from home". Using my MBA along with a TBD, kbd, mouse, trackpad is so much more comfortable than using just the laptop. I would have never done this on a regular basis with the original box.

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 01:08 PM   #6
bgsnmky
macrumors regular

Great ideas and good feedback on the Ilugger

Thanks.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 01:34 PM   #7
iancapable
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsnmky View Post
Just curious people that are taking their imac places..example..I will be taking full advantage of my one to one sessions at the store and needing to take my imac 27 inch with me!

I looked at ilugger etc. and yes I know it is worth 200.00 for a 3000 dollar machine..but just curious what other carry/wheeled bags people have used.

The store told me they have even seen suitcases with pillows in it etc.

That is better then carrying a 3000 maching across the parking lot etc. I was very nervous.
I wouldn't buy an iMac to be portable...
iancapable is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 02:25 PM   #8
bgsnmky
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancapable View Post
I wouldn't buy an iMac to be portable...
That's funny bi didn't buy it for that. But when I take it to the apple store I want to be careful with it.
bgsnmky is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 02:47 PM   #9
iancapable
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsnmky View Post
That's funny bi didn't buy it for that. But when I take it to the apple store I want to be careful with it.
I think mine will sit at home and not move... Too easy for something to go wrong.
iancapable is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 06:43 AM   #10
Yougotcarved
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynz4 View Post
We have two iLuggers and we think they are fantastic.

When my daughter was in grad school up in Canada... she would often transport her iMac back and forth using the original box every month or two. It is bulky, tough to handle... and quickly starts falling apart. If you have the "retail box" plus the brown cardboard "shipping box"... then it lasts a bit longer... but it is still bulky and tough to move. I bought her an iLugger and it is so easy to use.

I was so impressed... that I bought a 2nd one for myself... along with a TBD. I often pack it up and take it with us to our beach condo when I decide to "work from home". Using my MBA along with a TBD, kbd, mouse, trackpad is so much more comfortable than using just the laptop. I would have never done this on a regular basis with the original box.

/Jim
Are the iLuggers compatible with the 2012 imacs? Cant see anything on their website...
Yougotcarved is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 08:27 AM   #11
mushroomtip
macrumors 6502

save your money and do what this guy does.

http://youtu.be/dPaPkHz3TMk
Old Dec 24, 2012, 09:13 AM   #12
harcosparky
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterKeeks View Post
I use the box, it is handy and as someone else has said a small wheeled luggage carrier if needed.

If I am traveling and taking it with me, it goes in a huge Pelican Case that has built in wheels and handle.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 08:06 AM   #13
flynz4
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yougotcarved View Post
Are the iLuggers compatible with the 2012 imacs? Cant see anything on their website...
I have no idea. When I bought mine... I tested my daughter's against my TBD and it fit perfectly. I suspect the 2012 will fit fine... but call or write the company.

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:35 AM   #14
bgsnmky
macrumors regular

Well the packing up back in the box is not a good idea for me! I couldn't easily get it in there.

So deciding between ilugger and the following:

wheelsaway.com

I actually like the wheelsaway.com better, but it is almost 150.00 more with shipping.

So I ready a review on amazon for ilugger.com and it was bad saying hte 27 inch was hard to get in with one person etc.

Just curious for anyone that has an ilugger....if you turn it upside (like their video shows) so that the monitor is what is holding it up...does the bag have a bottom that has cushion and something hard so it is NOT really putting everything on the monitors edge.

(the video on ilugger is really old and I tried to search to find a recent one and could not). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF_l7...layer_embedded

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac