Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gelite55

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Hi can you just add 16 GB (to the empty slots) to the stock 8 GB already in the new 27" iMac? Would it run in the full dual channel mode?

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2012
Yes, I am running 24 on mine now. I bought the added memory from crucial.

Ctrl2k

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2007
Yes, I am running 24 on mine now. I bought the added memory from crucial.

Due to the odd fact that I can't get 32GB of 3rd Party RAM to work without errors in my 2012 27" (though I tried cheapie ADATA and Komputer Bay brands)... for now I am running 24GB which is really plenty enough.

That's 2 4GB Apple sticks and 2 16GB ADATA sticks, both at CL11 (choosing RAM rated for other than CL11 may cause all sticks to run at 1333 instead of 1600 MHz).

As the other threads note - you need to install correctly to get dual channel operation. Apple makes it easy. They swap every other slot with their RAM installed. So just fill the empty slots with your additional 16 GB modules.

For example - 4GB, 8GB, 4GB, 8GB in order top to bottom. Or the reverse. The only thing to remember is to alternate the different size modules in the slots to keep that dual channel config.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.