Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 23, 2012, 01:58 PM   #1
tymaster50
macrumors 68030
 
tymaster50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Jersey
Why do laser engraved iPad's take even longer to ship?

For the text being so tiny and a few youtube videos the process seems like it only takes a few seconds, I'm sure it doesn't take an extra week to engrave 2 sentences lol. But then again I don't know how much preparation has to go into it. I wish apple could like speed rush these iPads :/ I really want my mini before it's estimated date of january 2nd.
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 02:30 PM   #2
mcdj
macrumors 604
 
mcdj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Because lasers.
__________________
Great cage! No bird...
50f/2
mcdj is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 02:30 PM   #3
tann
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Nottingham, England
'Cause a non-engraved one they can yank off a shelf (probably thousands stacked) and ship it out ASAP whereas an engraved one they take the standard one, stick it in a waiting list (of people who want engravings) then ship it out to you. Also it might be done at only one place (to cut costs) so then it might have further to travel once it's shipped. I'm quite surprised they don't charge for it (even a few $).
__________________
2013 13" MacBook Air i5/8GB/256GB || Silver 64GB iPhone 6 || 32GB Cellular Silver iPad rMini!
Follow me on Twitter!
tann is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 02:34 PM   #4
kodeman53
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tann View Post
'Cause a non-engraved one they can yank off a shelf (probably thousands stacked) and ship it out ASAP whereas an engraved one they take the standard one, stick it in a waiting list (of people who want engravings) then ship it out to you. Also it might be done at only one place (to cut costs) so then it might have further to travel once it's shipped. I'm quite surprised they don't charge for it (even a few $).
IOW, if it requires X steps to get you your iPad, X+1 steps takes longer.

Common sense isn't common.
kodeman53 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 02:39 PM   #5
daybreak
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
One thing we all forget the bigger the company gets the better the spiral service becomes. Once Apple loose the golden tag of new products you watch how the service becomes better. Please not Apple are going into the television format in a big way. Which in time will have a big effect on consumer products.
daybreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 02:46 PM   #6
tymaster50
Thread Starter
macrumors 68030
 
tymaster50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodeman53 View Post
IOW, if it requires X steps to get you your iPad, X+1 steps takes longer.

Common sense isn't common.
read initial post
if laser engraving takes a few seconds then why does it take an extra week. Not to mention it's free. I know it's gonna take longer to make it but a whole 14 days seems a little extreme considering how small it turns out to be.
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 02:48 PM   #7
kodeman53
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
read initial post
if laser engraving takes a few seconds then why does it take an extra week. Not to mention it's free. I know it's gonna take longer to make it but a whole 14 days seems a little extreme considering how small it turns out to be.
I did read the initial post. I also read tann's post. I even quoted it.
kodeman53 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 03:16 PM   #8
GHouse
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Non-engraved are pulled from US warehouse stock. Engraved ones have to be engraved at the factory in China and shipped.
GHouse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 03:32 PM   #9
SnowLeopard OSX
macrumors 6502a
 
SnowLeopard OSX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern California
I don't think it depends on the amount of time it takes to engrave your custom design on to your iPad that's the determining factor on how soon you'll receive it -- but rather the fact that you're customizing your device to begin with.

Out of curiosity, what did you get engraved on to your iPad? And who's doing the engraving for you?
__________________
iPad |4th gen Black/ 32GB/ iOS 8.0
iMac |G4 1.0 GHz/ 1.25 GHz PPCG4 (7445)
iPod |Classic Black/ 80GB|U2 edition 20GB
iPhone |4S White/16GB/ iOS 7.0|3G White/16GB iOS 8.0
SnowLeopard OSX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 03:57 PM   #10
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God
 
Shrink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New England, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
For the text being so tiny and a few youtube videos the process seems like it only takes a few seconds, I'm sure it doesn't take an extra week to engrave 2 sentences lol. But then again I don't know how much preparation has to go into it. I wish apple could like speed rush these iPads :/ I really want my mini before it's estimated date of january 2nd.
Actually, for everyone else, it doesn't take any time at all, and there is no shipping delay. For everyone else but you, it is engraved by magic right in the box. No extra steps, that take some time, have to be done for everyone else.

The truth is, Apple doesn't like you...

__________________
Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
Shrink is offline   2 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Laser engraved iPhone 5 dock maxsandis iPhone Accessories 0 Apr 14, 2014 12:21 PM
iPad: Are engraved iPad Airs impossible to return? KhunJay iPad 25 Dec 7, 2013 01:00 AM
All iPads: Is your iPad engraved? L4Leonard iPad 45 Nov 7, 2012 11:38 AM
Apple.com no longer give ship dates tsduke iPhone 1 Oct 26, 2012 05:42 PM
I won a iPad 3 Cadillac engraved w/ Cadillac on smart cover. maceleven iPad 13 Sep 10, 2012 08:25 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:17 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC