Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:26 PM   #1
2012Tony2012
macrumors 6502a
 
2012Tony2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Can macupdate.com be trusted?

Can macupdate be trusted to be used as a reliable and clean website that offers clean and save apps, seeing everytime I visit there I am bombarded with that "MacKeeper" Malware App?

Am I safer and better to use mac.softpedia.com ?
2012Tony2012 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:30 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Tony2012 View Post
Can macupdate be trusted to be used as a reliable and clean website that offers clean and save apps, seeing everytime I visit there I am bombarded with that "MacKeeper" Malware App?

Am I safer and better to use mac.softpedia.com ?
The macupdate site is pretty reliable. The MacKeeper ads are everywhere, unfortunately. If you have it installed, I highly recommend you completely remove it from your system. Such apps have a reputation for causing problems.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:00 PM   #3
SuperCyborg
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Nope. Its a spam website that just clones download links.
SuperCyborg is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:15 AM   #4
2012Tony2012
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
2012Tony2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
The macupdate site is pretty reliable. The MacKeeper ads are everywhere, unfortunately. If you have it installed, I highly recommend you completely remove it from your system. Such apps have a reputation for causing problems.
I did install it as I am new to iMac, but it didn't take me long to realise that MacKeeper was malware and goodness knows what else. Thank goodness I had created backup with Carbon Copy Cloner.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCyborg View Post
Nope. Its a spam website that just clones download links.
Would you mind elaborating please?

And what is a safe and reliable and trustworthy website to download mac apps?
2012Tony2012 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:27 AM   #5
ChrisMan287
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NY.
I've never had any issues downloading from there FWIW.
__________________
15" PowerBook G4, 1.67GHz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD ; 16GB iPad2.
ChrisMan287 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:09 AM   #6
SuperCyborg
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Tony2012 View Post
And what is a safe and reliable and trustworthy website to download mac apps?
Click on the Apple logo on your screen. There is a button labeled "App Store...".
SuperCyborg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:06 AM   #7
Intell
macrumors P6
 
Intell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Inside
Macupdate.com is one of the best run Mac software sites. The staff is very diligent in keeping the entries up to date and the developers of some of the software also post in the comments for their apps. In some cases Macupdate.com hosts hard to find software on their own servers. In my opinion, Macupdate.com is much better than mac.softpedia.com.
__________________
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 3:16 AM.
Intell is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:53 AM   #8
old-wiz
macrumors 604
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: West Suburban Boston Ma
The site is full of ads for Mackeeper, which is malware. In my book, if the site hosts or advertises malware, they are not to be trusted.
old-wiz is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:57 AM   #9
ihuman:D
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCyborg View Post
Click on the Apple logo on your screen. There is a button labeled "App Store...".
App Store = Walled Garden IMO.
__________________
iMac G4 17'' 1.25GHz PowerBook G4 15'' Hi-Res 1.67GHz iMac 2012 21.5" 2.9GHz i5
It's spelled "Aluminium"
It's "Couldn't care less" not "Could care less"
ihuman:D is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:46 PM   #10
2012Tony2012
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
2012Tony2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post
Macupdate.com is one of the best run Mac software sites. The staff is very diligent in keeping the entries up to date and the developers of some of the software also post in the comments for their apps. In some cases Macupdate.com hosts hard to find software on their own servers. In my opinion, Macupdate.com is much better than mac.softpedia.com.
If that's true, WHY are they constantly promoting that malware app called MacKeeper?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-wiz View Post
The site is full of ads for Mackeeper, which is malware. In my book, if the site hosts or advertises malware, they are not to be trusted.
I am new to Apple and iMac, and I wonder the same thing, why would macupdate advertise MacKeeper so much on their website, and how on Earth has MacKeeper managed to pop up everywhere? Don't people know it's a bad bad app?
2012Tony2012 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:50 PM   #11
Intell
macrumors P6
 
Intell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Inside
MacKeeper is not malware. While I don't like the software, it has gotten five stars from many review sites. The similarly named malware, MacDefender, is what got it that bad reputation. They may not have much control over the ads their site displays, much like MacRumors. I've read threads where people have seen adult like ads on MacRumors in the past. They don't have much control over them. Instead they're pulled from a large general pool of ads.
__________________
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 3:16 AM.
Intell is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:50 PM   #12
NewbieCanada
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
You do realize, don't you, that sites don't sell their own advertising and have little-to-no control over what appears there?
__________________
nMP 6-core, D500, 32 GB, 1 TB rMBP 13" '13 2.4 gHz, 256 GB, 8GB Mini '11 i7, 256 GB SSD & 750 GB HDD, 16GB iPhone 5 64GB iPad Air 128
NewbieCanada is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:10 PM   #13
theSeb
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Poole, England
http://www.cultofmac.com/170522/is-m...really-a-scam/

Good article.

By the way, Macupdate is a perfectly trustworthy site. I have bought various software from there with no issues.
__________________
What is Other on my HDD?
Throttling, overheating and Geekbench
theSeb is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:32 PM   #14
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Tony2012 View Post
If that's true, WHY are they constantly promoting that malware app called MacKeeper?
First, like many sites (including this forum), they subscribe to a pool of rotating ads. They don't individually select which ads run. Second, MacKeeper is not malware. It's simply useless software that can create problems for novice users. You don't need it to keep your Mac running well.
GGJstudios is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:52 PM   #15
2012Tony2012
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
2012Tony2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
First, like many sites (including this forum), they subscribe to a pool of rotating ads. They don't individually select which ads run. Second, MacKeeper is not malware. It's simply useless software that can create problems for novice users. You don't need it to keep your Mac running well.
I though it was a nasty(malware) app seeing so many people say it is and so many websites and comments warn against it, even Apple forum website warns users to NOT install it.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3691

GGJstudios, do YOU have MacKeeper installed? If yes why? If no, why not?
2012Tony2012 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:54 PM   #16
Intell
macrumors P6
 
Intell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Inside
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Tony2012 View Post
I though it was a nasty(malware) app seeing so many people say it is and so many websites and comments warn against it, even Apple forum website warns users to NOT install it.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3691
That is a user created document and is not an official stance by Apple. Apple has never posted anything about MacKeeper.
__________________
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 3:16 AM.
Intell is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:56 PM   #17
2012Tony2012
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
2012Tony2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post
That is a user created document and is not an official stance by Apple. Apple has never posted anything about MacKeeper.
Do YOU have MacKeeper installed? If yes why? If no, why not?
2012Tony2012 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:01 PM   #18
Intell
macrumors P6
 
Intell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Inside
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Tony2012 View Post
Do YOU have MacKeeper installed? If yes why? If no, why not?
I don't have it installed because I know how to take care of my machine and clean it up if I ever feel it gets clogged. The people that do install it are the same people that install CC Cleaner or Onyx. Basically people that are Windows converts that think Mac's need constant cleaning like older Windows computers.
__________________
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 3:16 AM.
Intell is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:21 PM   #19
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Tony2012 View Post
GGJstudios, do YOU have MacKeeper installed? If yes why? If no, why not?
Did you read the 2nd post in this thread? No, I wouldn't install such an app.

You don't need to "maintain" your Mac and you don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well. Some of these apps can do more harm than good. Some can even degrade, rather than improve system performance.

Some remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process. These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space.

Some of these apps delete caches, which can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt. Caches exist to improve performance, so deleting them isn't advisable in most cases.

Many of the tasks performed by these apps should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention. You can use Maintidget to see the last time these scripts were run.
Five Mac maintenance myths
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:28 PM   #20
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 601
 
Michaelgtrusa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Everywhere And Nowhere
Macupdate can be trusted! Mackeeper is junk software not malware.
__________________
iMACAll life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.
TWITTER TUMBLR
Michaelgtrusa is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:47 PM   #21
2012Tony2012
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
2012Tony2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Is this a good free alternative to MacKeeper?

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/38124/iboostup

The more apps I am installing, the more my iMac seems to slow down and get sluggish, what can I do to clean it up and clean up the apps, and show me what's auto runing etc that may be slowing down the iMac?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post
I don't have it installed because I know how to take care of my machine and clean it up if I ever feel it gets clogged. The people that do install it are the same people that install CC Cleaner or Onyx. Basically people that are Windows converts that think Mac's need constant cleaning like older Windows computers.
Can you give me some hints and advice on how to clean up my iMac from getting clogged?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Did you read the 2nd post in this thread? No, I wouldn't install such an app.

You don't need to "maintain" your Mac and you don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well. ...
If you instal a ton of apps etc, how do you then keep the iMac clean and running well? I installed an app that now also loads whenever I boot the iMac and I don't know how to stop it?
2012Tony2012 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:55 PM   #22
Intell
macrumors P6
 
Intell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Inside
There isn't anything that you need to do to keep your machine running well. Just use it as Apple designed it to be used and stop worrying about it.
__________________
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 3:16 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:03 PM   #23
Jazwire
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: 127.0.0.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Tony2012 View Post

Can you give me some hints and advice on how to clean up my iMac from getting clogged?
Best thing you can do , leave it the hell alone.

Tweaks, tunes ups, reg hacks everything you learned from Windows, forget it.... If you have messed it up , reformat it, start over , and never attempt to "tweak it" ever again.
__________________
|| 27" iMac i7-3.4, 32 GB, 3TB Fusion, Nvidia 680MX 2GB w/ 27" TB Display (Dual Mon) ||
Macbook Air 11" i7, 8GB, 256GB || 15" MacBook Pro Retina 2.7, 16GB, 512GB||
Jazwire is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:25 PM   #24
2012Tony2012
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
2012Tony2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
So it seems I need to rid myself of the MS Windows Mentality
2012Tony2012 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 05:21 PM   #25
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Tony2012 View Post
Is this a good free alternative to MacKeeper?
You don't need MacKeeper and you don't need any alternative software. Mac OS X takes care of itself, without your interference. You don't have to install every app out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Tony2012 View Post
The more apps I am installing, the more my iMac seems to slow down and get sluggish, what can I do to clean it up and clean up the apps, and show me what's auto runing etc that may be slowing down the iMac?
Based on your post history, you're installing way too many apps. You seem to be determined to install apps whether you need them or not. Only install what you need to do what you're doing. Don't install apps just because they exist.

Delete any occurrences apps that you don't want to automatically start on boot up from the following locations:
  • System Preferences > Accounts > yourusername > Login Items
    (Lion and ML users: System Preferences > Users & Groups > yourusername > Login Items)

  • /Library/LaunchAgents/
    (Lion and ML users: In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > then enter the path above)

  • ~/Library/LaunchAgents/
    (Lion and ML users: In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > then enter the path above)

  • /Library/StartupItems/
    (Lion and ML users: In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > then enter the path above)
The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:
Best way to FULLY DELETE a program

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Tony2012 View Post
Can you give me some hints and advice on how to clean up my iMac from getting clogged?
Yes. Stop installing apps that you don't absolutely need or that you don't completely understand what they do.

If you're having performance issues, this may help:
Performance Tips For Mac OS X

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Tony2012 View Post
If you instal a ton of apps etc, how do you then keep the iMac clean and running well? I installed an app that now also loads whenever I boot the iMac and I don't know how to stop it?
See the instructions above. Don't install a ton of apps. Only install what you know you need to do whatever you're trying to accomplish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Tony2012 View Post
So it seems I need to rid myself of the MS Windows Mentality
Absolutely! Stop thinking like a Windows user. With Mac OS X, you don't need to "monkey around under the hood" or "tinker" or "tweak" or "clean" or "maintain" or "optimize" or otherwise bother yourself with the operating system. Just read your email, surf the web, play your music, watch videos, etc. Let your Mac take care of itself.

And stop looking for apps to install, unless you absolutely know you need them.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Gov't says we can't be trusted with guns lostngone Politics, Religion, Social Issues 71 Jun 17, 2013 10:51 PM
Change or add trusted devices border terrier iCloud and Apple Services 0 Apr 2, 2013 10:22 AM
Trusted networks-app Alinoe iPhone and iPod touch Apps 1 Feb 26, 2013 11:25 AM
Trusted Amazon Dealer currins iPad 4 Jun 24, 2012 10:56 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:06 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC