Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
But it doesn't have retina. But Kindle Fire HD and Nexus 7 are cheaper (and the Fire has Dolby digital stereo speakers). iPad mini should be a dud, no? :D

Piccio

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012
It's only 1,8 inches smaller, with a better looking form factor, it still has the :apple: on its back and, most important thing, it's 170$/€ cheaper.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
I still think most people haven't figured out Apples strategy yet. The Mini was intended to kill the iPad 2. It was their replacement strategy, and their attempt at setting the rules for competition. By introducing the Mini, they eliminate the competition from the low-end knockoffs from Android. And....it's obviously working.

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I believe it. I sold my iPad 3 after a month with the Mini. To me the light weight and small size make it the Ultimate iPad.

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
The weight has a lot to do with it and the size. The iPad 1-4 are just a bit heavy to hold and use for a long period of time while the Mini is the perfect size. Even though it doesn't have the "retina" it has a good screen and works fine for most uses. It is not really that much cheaper, especially when you can get the ipad 2-3 refurbs for close to the same price.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
i must admit, even Ipad 2 (considered lightest Ipad up-to-date) is still too heavy to hold for long time gameplay. Some games will be harder to play on regular Ipad because of the big screen and you finger can't seem to reach all button. But to say the Ipad mini has better form factor, i object. The thinner bezels is hideous.

People buy it more because of the weight and price, thats it.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
I am not surprised. Cannot wait for sales numbers, so many people I know (who think the price is unethical:confused:) said it wouldn't sell.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I had no doubt that the mini would out sell the iPad eventually. The price is better and the size is perfect. I think the Mini is Apple's best product so far in regards to size and weight. If it ever goes retina and they up the ram to equal the iPad then watch for sales to increase. Hopefully they keep the pricing structure.

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
i love how the article keeps saying that it's cannibalizing ipad sales. if anything, i think it's cannibalizing ipod touch sales.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
iPad Mini starts at $330

iPad starts at $500

Yup.

Really?

If it was like this:

iPad starts at $300

iPad mini starts at $500

I'd still have bought my mini. Honestly. I value form factor over price, funny that, and I'll bet a lot of other people do too. If it was price alone that decided it, Android tablets would be far outselling the mini (and the full sized iPad for that matter).

m00min

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
Really?

If it was like this:

iPad starts at $300

iPad mini starts at $500

I'd still have bought my mini. Honestly. I value form factor over price, funny that, and I'll bet a lot of other people do too. If it was price alone that decided it, Android tablets would be far outselling the mini (and the full sized iPad for that matter).

Yep. I sold my iPad 3 to upgrade to an iPad Mini purely because I wanted a smaller device. If there's a choice I will always go for the smaller form factor, it's why I have an MBA 11" rather than a 13", and why, if I was going to swap to an Android phone, I'd make sure not to buy one with an oversized screen.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I believe it. I sold my iPad 3 after a month with the Mini. To me the light weight and small size make it the Ultimate iPad.

i can understand size and weight being a benefit for some,however slower and far worse resolution doesn't describe the ultimate ipad to me.

tmarks11

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
yep. Just for fun, go back and read the forum posts from 6 months ago, where some of us were advocating for the mini, and many outspoken individuals were quoting Steve Jobs, and saying Apple would never go with the a smaller ipad, and it would be a crashing disaster if they did.

Apparently, just because you don't want one doesn't mean that there isn't a lot of other people who do.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
i love how the article keeps saying that it's cannibalizing ipad sales. if anything, i think it's cannibalizing ipod touch sales.

Absolutely. For the past several years the iPod Touch was a very common gift to get kids. This year I know a lot of parents (including myself) who bought Mini's as Christmas gifts.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
Absolutely. For the past several years the iPod Touch was a very common gift to get kids. This year I know a lot of parents (including myself) who bought Mini's as Christmas gifts.

If the mini gets a retina upgrade that maintains battery life, weight and price I'll buy one. Much easier to hold for reading than my ipad 3 but I just couldn't get past the slightly fuzzy display when reading.

Cheers,

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
i can understand size and weight being a benefit for some,however slower and far worse resolution doesn't describe the ultimate ipad to me.

I guess you missed the memo. It's not about specs anymore. It's about what you can do and where/how often you can do it. What good is that great resolution if I leave the iPad home more often than not or put it down after a shorter period of time because its heavier?

The ultimate iPad (and Apple) is about usability, not specs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.