Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 24, 2012, 01:35 PM   #51
AppleRobert
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
^^^^^^

They want to be able to fit it in their pocket?? I don't know too many articles of clothing where a larger ipad would fit.

I agree with you though. Folks have been carting laptops around for years and now an ipad that isn't a MINI isn't any good to carry around??
AppleRobert is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 01:37 PM   #52
irDigital0l
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamLondon View Post
Really?

If it was like this:

iPad starts at $300

iPad mini starts at $500

I'd still have bought my mini. Honestly. I value form factor over price, funny that, and I'll bet a lot of other people do too. If it was price alone that decided it, Android tablets would be far outselling the mini (and the full sized iPad for that matter).
Yes, really.

Go to Apple's website if you think those prices aren't right.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00min View Post
Yep. I sold my iPad 3 to upgrade to an iPad Mini purely because I wanted a smaller device. If there's a choice I will always go for the smaller form factor, it's why I have an MBA 11" rather than a 13", and why, if I was going to swap to an Android phone, I'd make sure not to buy one with an oversized screen.
LOL smaller does not equal better.

Portability does not equal better.
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 02:04 PM   #53
SeanR1
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post

LOL smaller does not equal better.

Portability does not equal better.
hmm she thinks differently ****************fLHRT
SeanR1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 02:17 PM   #54
irDigital0l
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanR1 View Post
hmm she thinks differently ****************fLHRT
lol :P
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 02:26 PM   #55
ljmjag
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBoater View Post
I guess you missed the memo. It's not about specs anymore. It's about what you can do and where/how often you can do it. What good is that great resolution if I leave the iPad home more often than not or put it down after a shorter period of time because its heavier?

The ultimate iPad (and Apple) is about usability, not specs.
Guess I missed the memo too. It has always been about specs - always moving forward - not backward or stagnant. Old chip, old screen - that's why the refresh will be sooner rather then later. Too many whispers already about it.
ljmjag is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 02:30 PM   #56
TJ5921
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmjag View Post
Guess I missed the memo too. It has always been about specs - always moving forward - not backward or stagnant. Old chip, old screen - that's why the refresh will be sooner rather then later. Too many whispers already about it.
Why would they rush a refresh when it's currently their best selling product? Why not milk all the money they can, then drop it in Fall 2013 just before Christmas? They'll have those who waited it out for a retina mini as well as those who got a year of use or less looking to upgrade. The 1st gen mini will continue to sell well through fall 2013.
TJ5921 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 02:38 PM   #57
ljmjag
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ5921 View Post
Why would they rush a refresh when it's currently their best selling product? Why not milk all the money they can, then drop it in Fall 2013 just before Christmas? They'll have those who waited it out for a retina mini as well as those who got a year of use or less looking to upgrade. The 1st gen mini will continue to sell well through fall 2013.
Are we talking about the same company? Hard drives were selling just fine and were nice and cheap so Apple went to an SSD set up. Nothing wrong with DVD drives or a number of well entrenched ports - so Apple got rid of them and changed the standard. I don't think they care about what's convenient. Once the holiday season ends - as soon as they can ensure quality control and ramp up production - the refresh will come. The object is to attract new buyers - since once you have one already, whenever you decide to upgrade since you will be immersed in the iOS platform, they just assume that you will upgrade with another Apple device. The job is to entice new purchasers.
ljmjag is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 02:39 PM   #58
TJ5921
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by iapplelove View Post
Lol ok sure
----------


And actually your outright wrong go back and ready my post again lol. I never even compared the iPhone to the mini never mind the looks haha I said if I needed a smaller device than my iPad my iPhone will do just fine so do us all a favor and read before you post thanks
You didn't?

"Wouldn't even consider something smaller that's why I carry my iPhone with me plus it's faster lighter and looks better than the mini".

Last edited by OllyW; Dec 24, 2012 at 07:27 PM. Reason: insult
TJ5921 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:03 PM   #59
bigboar
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ5921 View Post
You didn't?

"Wouldn't even consider something smaller that's why I carry my iPhone with me plus it's faster lighter and looks better than the mini".
what's wrong with what he said? the iPhone 5 is superior to the mini...it's a dang shame when you can read text better on that little thing than you can on the mini...the select few who are saying smaller is better, why would you use that massive heavy mini that DOESN'T fit in most pockets when you can tote a superior device much easier... the mini is the yugo of the apple line directed towards kids. the new commercial "I'll be home for Christmas" suggests so. that is why the adult shows up on the mini while the girl singing shows up on the 4....
__________________
Thanks for viewing my Signature!

Last edited by OllyW; Dec 24, 2012 at 07:27 PM. Reason: clean up to quoted post
bigboar is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:04 PM   #60
darngooddesign
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboar View Post
what's wrong with what he said? the iPhone 5 is superior to the mini...it's a dang shame when you can read text better on that little thing than you can on the mini...the select few who are saying smaller is better, why would you use that massive heavy mini that DOESN'T fit in most pockets when you can tote a superior device much easier... the mini is the yugo of the apple line directed towards kids. the new commercial "I'll be home for Christmas" suggests so. that is why the adult shows up on the mini while the girl singing shows up on the 4....
Commercials =\= Reality
__________________
64 giggity... giggity... gigg-i-ty
Lego Apple Store
darngooddesign is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:05 PM   #61
TJ5921
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboar View Post
what's wrong with what he said? the iPhone 5 is superior to the mini...it's a dang shame when you can read text better on that little thing than you can on the mini...the select few who are saying smaller is better, why would you use that massive heavy mini that DOESN'T fit in most pockets when you can tote a superior device much easier... the mini is the yugo of the apple line directed towards kids. the new commercial "I'll be home for Christmas" suggests so. that is why the adult shows up on the mini while the girl singing shows up on the 4....
One is a phone and the other is a tablet. They serve different purposes and are best used as complimentary devices. Again you're comparing a phone to a tablet...
TJ5921 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:52 PM   #62
rowspaxe
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRobert View Post
Maybe that will change in the future, witness the Note 2. I assume many would not feel the need for a tablet with that device.
Personally, I'd be down for a tablet phone with bluetooth. I just don't know if that s taking off, generally.
rowspaxe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 04:24 PM   #63
AppleRobert
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmjag View Post
Are we talking about the same company? Hard drives were selling just fine and were nice and cheap so Apple went to an SSD set up. Nothing wrong with DVD drives or a number of well entrenched ports - so Apple got rid of them and changed the standard. I don't think they care about what's convenient. Once the holiday season ends - as soon as they can ensure quality control and ramp up production - the refresh will come. The object is to attract new buyers - since once you have one already, whenever you decide to upgrade since you will be immersed in the iOS platform, they just assume that you will upgrade with another Apple device. The job is to entice new purchasers.
The job is to entice new purchasers certainly BUT there are still plenty of folks waiting to get this Mini!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmjag View Post
Guess I missed the memo too. It has always been about specs - always moving forward - not backward or stagnant. Old chip, old screen - that's why the refresh will be sooner rather then later. Too many whispers already about it.
The old chip and screen doesn't seem to matter versus size and weight which plenty of folks have traded into or bought one regardless that they already owned one with retina display and more horses.
AppleRobert is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 04:48 PM   #64
iapplelove
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Coast USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ5921 View Post
You didn't?

"Wouldn't even consider something smaller that's why I carry my iPhone with me plus it's faster lighter and looks better than the mini".
The screen looks better. I didn't say the body that's a matter of opinion.

Last edited by OllyW; Dec 24, 2012 at 07:28 PM. Reason: insults
iapplelove is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 05:22 PM   #65
WilliamLondon
macrumors 68000
 
WilliamLondon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
Yes, really.

Go to Apple's website if you think those prices aren't right.

----------



LOL smaller does not equal better.

Portability does not equal better.
I think you didn't understand what I was saying - in the world upside down where the iPad price was the mini price and vice versa, I'd still buy the mini. I'm not saying smaller and more portable means better but rather perfect, because those are my criteria: small and portable, and I'll always (well, probably always) be willing to pay more to get it, if that's what is required to obtain smaller and more portable.
WilliamLondon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 05:26 PM   #66
falconeight
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Ipad 3 and 4 are tanks. The mini is perfect.
falconeight is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 05:37 PM   #67
irDigital0l
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamLondon View Post
I think you didn't understand what I was saying - in the world upside down where the iPad price was the mini price and vice versa, I'd still buy the mini. I'm not saying smaller and more portable means better but rather perfect, because those are my criteria: small and portable, and I'll always (well, probably always) be willing to pay more to get it, if that's what is required to obtain smaller and more portable.
What if the iPad was just as light as the iPad mini while also having the thinner bezel?
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 05:52 PM   #68
WilliamLondon
macrumors 68000
 
WilliamLondon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00min View Post
Yep. I sold my iPad 3 to upgrade to an iPad Mini purely because I wanted a smaller device. If there's a choice I will always go for the smaller form factor, it's why I have an MBA 11" rather than a 13", and why, if I was going to swap to an Android phone, I'd make sure not to buy one with an oversized screen.
We've got same criteria in devices. I've also got the MBA 11" - just got the new one and I couldn't be more thrilled with it, and the iPad mini complements it so perfectly. I felt if I were to get a full sized iPad it would be silly along with an MBA 11" (not to mention I didn't want the size of a full sized iPad again), but the mini and MBA 11" are perfect together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
What if the iPad was just as light as the iPad mini while also having the thinner bezel?
It wouldn't matter, although, that would be a lovely device (the full sized iPad, which I said in an earlier post needed to try and be as thin as the mini).

I would always consider a full sized iPad for certain situations (perhaps in the kitchen - dedicated to that room would be brilliant I think), but most other locations the form factor of the mini is always, always going to be preferred. I have nothing against the full sized iPad, except I think it's too big for me. I used to own a gen 1 iPad, loved it very much, but always thought something smaller would be perfect for me.

For me, smaller and thinner and more portable are big things. My laptop is an MBA 11", not because I couldn't afford a MBP 13 or 15" (even retina), but because I wanted the 11" form factor. If the MBA and the mini upgrade to retina, I'll happily upgrade my devices, but I won't ever think less of them today for not having retina or bigger screens, I'll always think they are perfect as they are. Small, thin, lightweight - it's how I prefer my devices.
WilliamLondon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 06:14 PM   #69
nizmoz
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ5921 View Post
Why would they rush a refresh when it's currently their best selling product? Why not milk all the money they can, then drop it in Fall 2013 just before Christmas? They'll have those who waited it out for a retina mini as well as those who got a year of use or less looking to upgrade. The 1st gen mini will continue to sell well through fall 2013.
If you say so and that is why a new iPad 5 is coming out in March to look like a MINI. LOL.
nizmoz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 07:12 PM   #70
m00min
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamLondon View Post
We've got same criteria in devices. I've also got the MBA 11" - just got the new one and I couldn't be more thrilled with it, and the iPad mini complements it so perfectly. I felt if I were to get a full sized iPad it would be silly along with an MBA 11" (not to mention I didn't want the size of a full sized iPad again), but the mini and MBA 11" are perfect together.
My old iPad 3 was about 6cm shorter in length than the MBA 11". I felt it was totally redundant for me. If I wanted to take the iPad anywhere I could just as easily take the MBA instead.

The MBA 11" and iPad Mini is the perfect combination.
__________________
Obligatory dick waving: 2012 i7/8GB/256SSD MBA; 2010 i7/8GB/256SSD MBP; 2006 Mac Mini; iPhone 4S; iPad 3
m00min is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 07:58 PM   #71
palpatine
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: May 2011
The iPhone is an iPod with cellular voice and data, the Mini is a medium sized iPod, and the iPad is a large iPod. At least, that's how I see it. So, are medium sized soft drinks the perfect size? Or, is it just that sometimes people prefer medium and sometimes they prefer large?

Personally, I'm glad people like the Mini and have a device they enjoy. I think the iPad is the perfect size for me. Great to have choice. It will be interesting to see what happens in March
palpatine is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 08:47 PM   #72
jwlbel
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Another main reason I think that the mini is outselling the regular size is that so many people already have the full size iPad. It would have probably been the opposite if the mini was out for a few years and Apple introduced the full size. People would be all over a new bigger size.
jwlbel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 09:40 PM   #73
AppleRobert
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by nizmoz View Post
If you say so and that is why a new iPad 5 is coming out in March to look like a MINI. LOL.
Says who? The larger ipads will be somewhat smaller and weigh less is my guess. It doesn't mean a Mini 2 is what is coming next. Apple saw Mini sales outclassing the larger ipads and will react accordingly.

The next Mini 2 in my opinion will be with Retina IF Apple can keep the size and weight to a minimum. They ain't going to happen in March.
AppleRobert is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:24 PM   #74
nizmoz
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRobert View Post
Says who? The larger ipads will be somewhat smaller and weigh less is my guess. It doesn't mean a Mini 2 is what is coming next. Apple saw Mini sales outclassing the larger ipads and will react accordingly.

The next Mini 2 in my opinion will be with Retina IF Apple can keep the size and weight to a minimum. They ain't going to happen in March.
Dated means it doesn't need updating in a few months. They are already updating the iPad AGAIN. The 3 and 4 had seriously short cycles.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...ming-in-march/
nizmoz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:12 PM   #75
AdonisSMU
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Apple should just add the phone option to the tablet....but but then people would just gt a mini and knock out two birds with one stone.
AdonisSMU is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad: Ipad air, Ipad mini retina and Ipad mini space grey photo thread gadget123 iPad 0 Nov 1, 2013 05:44 PM
A7X-Based iPad and iPad Mini Expected to Launch in 4Q 2013, Lower-Cost A6 iPad Mini to Follow in 2014 MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 178 Oct 11, 2013 07:52 AM
mobile OSs: Blackerry Z10 outselling iPhone 5 in UK's largest retailer Michael Goff Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 10 Mar 4, 2013 05:12 PM
iPad Mini: Worlds First iPad Mini Black & Slate + iPad Mini SmartCover Unboxing! RiseDarthVader iPad 52 Nov 2, 2012 07:35 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:30 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC