Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 23, 2012, 06:35 PM   #1
skeen
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: London, England
Restoring Macbook Air "ID has not purchased Lion"

Hi all,

Done quite a bit of searching on this already, and have not been able to turn up anything that would resolve this issue.

The short of it is that I am giving away my late 2010 Macbook Air 11". When I do a restore, and select to reinstall Lion (as I'd like it to just have a clean slate), I get the error "This Apple ID has not purchased Lion".

Odd...Lion came preinstalled. Subsequently, I used the Disk Utility to erase the drive, as I thought that might somehow help...but that was a mistake because now I have to use internet recovery to get to this part of the process.

So I really don't know what to do by this point. The only way I'm going to get the Macbook to working order is to reinstall Lion...but it won't let me. I also tried to use restore to restore a Time Machine backup, but that tells me there isn't enough space to load it.

Any ideas?
__________________
17" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD
20" Apple Cinema Display
External 500GB Maxtor 3200 USB HDD
iPhone 4 16GB (O2 UK)
skeen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 07:02 PM   #2
krravi
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeen View Post
Hi all,

Done quite a bit of searching on this already, and have not been able to turn up anything that would resolve this issue.

The short of it is that I am giving away my late 2010 Macbook Air 11". When I do a restore, and select to reinstall Lion (as I'd like it to just have a clean slate), I get the error "This Apple ID has not purchased Lion".

Odd...Lion came preinstalled. Subsequently, I used the Disk Utility to erase the drive, as I thought that might somehow help...but that was a mistake because now I have to use internet recovery to get to this part of the process.

So I really don't know what to do by this point. The only way I'm going to get the Macbook to working order is to reinstall Lion...but it won't let me. I also tried to use restore to restore a Time Machine backup, but that tells me there isn't enough space to load it.

Any ideas?
Thats why we need good old CD's for this kind of things.

I don't know what is going on with the "Not purchased" message. But I am curious about the Time Machine restore issue.

Boot into recovery and wipe the hard disk again before doing a time machine restore. Instead of doing an erase, delete the partition and create a new one and then try the restore.
__________________
Lots of Apple,Sony and other gadgets.
krravi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 07:36 PM   #3
skeen
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by krravi View Post
Boot into recovery and wipe the hard disk again before doing a time machine restore. Instead of doing an erase, delete the partition and create a new one and then try the restore.
Tried that already...but it seems that some space in the disk is still being taken up by OS X stuff, and that part I cannot get rid of (no option to). At the time of backing up via Time Machine, the harddrive was almost full.

It seems the only way to really get this working again is to resolve this Apple ID thingie, to reinstall.
__________________
17" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD
20" Apple Cinema Display
External 500GB Maxtor 3200 USB HDD
iPhone 4 16GB (O2 UK)
skeen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:23 PM   #4
krravi
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeen View Post
Tried that already...but it seems that some space in the disk is still being taken up by OS X stuff, and that part I cannot get rid of (no option to). At the time of backing up via Time Machine, the harddrive was almost full.

It seems the only way to really get this working again is to resolve this Apple ID thingie, to reinstall.
Are you talking about the recovery partition? Yes thats hidden but you can make it visible and then erase it.. But you have to make a copy of the hidden partition to a USB Flash drive etc...

So when you made the time machine backup and your hard disk was full I am assuming that the time machine has a not so complete copy of your hard disk for that given time.

Now what happens if you choose an earlier date in Time Machine? Probably the earliest date of your backup where you have not filled it up with files.
__________________
Lots of Apple,Sony and other gadgets.
krravi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 04:59 AM   #5
skeen
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: London, England
I only have 1 Time Machine backup. Regardless, I ultimately want to reinstall Lion...and it just plain seems that I don't have the option to do that.
__________________
17" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD
20" Apple Cinema Display
External 500GB Maxtor 3200 USB HDD
iPhone 4 16GB (O2 UK)
skeen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:46 AM   #6
krravi
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeen View Post
I only have 1 Time Machine backup. Regardless, I ultimately want to reinstall Lion...and it just plain seems that I don't have the option to do that.
Did you register your computer with Apple when you bought it? If not try registering. And they try the reinstall.

Looks like your serial number is not in their database for them to verify the Lion upgrade.
__________________
Lots of Apple,Sony and other gadgets.
krravi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:51 AM   #7
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604
 
thejadedmonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Pa
Send a message via AIM to thejadedmonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by krravi View Post
Did you register your computer with Apple when you bought it? If not try registering. And they try the reinstall.

Looks like your serial number is not in their database for them to verify the Lion upgrade.
Lion was a download only OS I believe, so shouldn't it be in the system regardless?
__________________
MacBook 17" MacBook Pro iPod Nano Apple TV
PS4 Custom Windows 8.1 Desktop WP8.1
"Good judgment comes from experience,
experience comes from bad judgment."
- Mulla Nasrudin
thejadedmonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:27 AM   #8
skeen
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: London, England
The Macbook is in my support profile, so it's been registered. I'm in a total bind right now. There is no way I can reinstall Lion.
__________________
17" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD
20" Apple Cinema Display
External 500GB Maxtor 3200 USB HDD
iPhone 4 16GB (O2 UK)
skeen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 01:29 PM   #9
krravi
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeen View Post
The Macbook is in my support profile, so it's been registered. I'm in a total bind right now. There is no way I can reinstall Lion.
See if this helps

http://apple.stackexchange.com/quest...talled-machine
__________________
Lots of Apple,Sony and other gadgets.
krravi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 04:05 PM   #10
AutoUnion39
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Worst case scenario, you can just torrent Lion off the internet. You should be ok because you already technically own it.
AutoUnion39 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Not Charging" after MacBook Air 1.1 upgrade from Snow Leopard to Lion - fixed! DVemer MacBook Air 0 Nov 16, 2013 08:28 AM
2012 refurb MacBook Air 13" or 2013 Haswell MacBook Air 13" IrtazaSafi MacBook Air 5 Jul 9, 2013 12:02 PM
Seeking Advice on My Purchased Refurb MacBook Pro Implanted with "Homemade Device" justiny MacBook Pro 1 Apr 23, 2013 08:00 AM
Worth upgrading 11" MacBook Air 1.4ghz 2gb ram to mountain lion? wangchunggti337 MacBook Air 1 Dec 27, 2012 09:04 PM
Just purchased my first ever Mac, a 13" MacBook Air, suggestions please brig2221 MacBook Air 29 Jun 16, 2012 11:36 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:30 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC