Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:25 PM   #1
DuganRun
macrumors newbie

Spigot Malware on my Mac?

Hello Forum,

Recently my computer has started behaving odd, when I open my home page I'm given page: http://uk.search.yahoo.com/?fr=spigot-yhp sfmac&ilc=12&type=748931.

I've searched 'yahoo,spigot' in google and it points towards malware though I can't find anything that relates to safari or mac, I thought my computer was quite secure but I've scanned it with ClamXav and no infected files are found.

I've noticed my home page has been changed to the above address so is it simply a case of changing it back to what it was and not worry about my computer being infected?

Thanks.
DuganRun is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:27 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuganRun View Post
Recently my computer has started behaving odd, when I open my home page I'm given page: http://uk.search.yahoo.com/?fr=spigot-yhp sfmac&ilc=12&type=748931.

I've searched 'yahoo,spigot' in google and it points towards malware though I can't find anything that relates to safari or mac, I thought my computer was quite secure but I've scanned it with ClamXav and no infected files are found.

I've noticed my home page has been changed to the above address so is it simply a case of changing it back to what it was and not worry about my computer being infected?
You don't have malware on your Mac.
  1. Clear your browser's cache and cookies.
  2. Set your home page to whatever page you want.
  3. If you haven't already done so, try changing your DNS servers on your Mac and your router to OpenDNS servers. This will show you how: Why am I being redirected to other sites?.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:45 PM   #3
throAU
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
There is no way for you to know that for a fact.
throAU is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:46 PM   #4
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by throAU View Post
There is no way for you to know that for a fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuganRun View Post
I've scanned it with ClamXav and no infected files are found.
ClamXAV detects all Mac OS X malware that exists in the wild.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:49 PM   #5
throAU
macrumors 68030

Quote:

ClamXAV detects all Mac OS X malware that exists in the wild.
Ever heard of a 0 day?
Know for a fact that his definitions are constantly updated and there was not a window of vulnerability?
Know for a fact that ClamXav was installed BEFORE the infection was suspected?

Whilst it is UNLIKELY, sticking your head in the sand with "macs don't get malware lalalala" is going to end in tears for you eventually.

Apple can and do write insecure code from time to time. The fact that the i-Devices have been jailbroken so often should be a clear indicator of this.
throAU is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:52 PM   #6
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Ever heard of a 0 day?
Know for a fact that his definitions are constantly updated and there was not a window of vulnerability?
You're grasping at straws. I feel quite safe with my statement and you're welcome to try to prove me wrong.
Quote:
Whilst it is UNLIKELY, sticking your head in the sand with "macs don't get malware lalalala" is going to end in tears for you eventually.
I have never said Macs don't get malware. You've been around the forum long enough, you should know that by now.
Quote:
Apple can and do write insecure code from time to time. The fact that the i-Devices have been jailbroken so often should be a clear indicator of this.
More straws. This isn't an iDevice thread.
GGJstudios is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:02 PM   #7
throAU
macrumors 68030

So, how is it that fully patched OS X has been hacked every year at pwn2own? By exploits that had not yet been released, and thus will not be in any anti virus package's definitions.

Again, i'm not saying it is LIKELY.

However, instantly dismissing problems as "no, you haven't been hacked", and assuming that the virus scanner knows about the malware that may on the box is misguided at best.

I bring up the i-devices because in theory they have the additional requirement of code-signing, which the mac does not have unless you run Lion or Mountain Lion with gatekeeper turned on. And they still get jailbroken.

What is your theory as to how the homepage got changed?

edit:
I do network security for a living, unexplained stuff randomly happening on machines is not something to be dismissed lightly.
throAU is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:08 PM   #8
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
So, how is it that fully patched OS X has been hacked every year at pwn2own?
Hacking is not the same as malware.
Quote:
However, instantly dismissing problems as "no, you haven't been hacked",
I didn't say anything about hacking. I said the OP doesn't have malware. There's a significant difference.
Quote:
assuming that the virus scanner knows about the malware that may on the box is misguided at best.
I'm not assuming anything and a box has nothing to do with it. I know for a fact that ClamXAV detects all Mac OS X malware that exists in the wild.

You're still grasping at straws. The OP's issue has nothing to do with malware or hacking. If you can prove otherwise, be my guest.
Quote:
unexplained stuff randomly happening on machines is not something to be dismissed lightly.
The chances that an average Mac user will encounter malware is extremely remote. "Unexplained stuff randomly happening" is far more likely attributed to a user's action or lack of understanding how something is working on their Mac.
GGJstudios is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:15 PM   #9
throAU
macrumors 68030

Hacking is accomplished exploiting a machine by using malicious software.

I.e., mal-ware.

Anwyay, I guess we can agree to disagree on this. No point arguing any further.
throAU is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 02:41 AM   #10
tnzk
macrumors newbie

I'm getting the same problem. It happened to both my Chrome browser and my Safari browser. I created an account just to chime in that it's not a one-off issue.

I'm not sure what I did/downloaded for this to happen. I suppose it was about time such things were going to appear on Mac OS X.

Last edited by tnzk; Dec 24, 2012 at 02:42 AM. Reason: added a sentence
tnzk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 04:17 AM   #11
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnzk View Post
I'm getting the same problem. It happened to both my Chrome browser and my Safari browser. I created an account just to chime in that it's not a one-off issue.

I'm not sure what I did/downloaded for this to happen. I suppose it was about time such things were going to appear on Mac OS X.
Did you follow the instructions in the 2nd post of this thread?
Old Dec 24, 2012, 08:20 PM   #12
pou
macrumors newbie

It usually comes from Vuze, which is a great P2P software, but a real pain in the xxx concerning hidden installations. It always tries to fool you into installing useless junk and recent updates change all browsers preferences without asking... : Spigot stuff, yahoo search engine etc.

It is not (apparently) very serious malware, just foolish junk imposed on users that do not know how to reset search preferences, but it IS malware all the same in my opinion.

This will force you to open and modify all the search options and welcome pages in all your browsers
----------
pou is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:02 PM   #13
DuganRun
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pou View Post
It usually comes from Vuze, which is a great P2P software, but a real pain in the xxx concerning hidden installations. It always tries to fool you into installing useless junk and recent updates change all browsers preferences without asking... : Spigot stuff, yahoo search engine etc.

It is not (apparently) very serious malware, just foolish junk imposed on users that do not know how to reset search preferences, but it IS malware all the same in my opinion.

This will force you to open and modify all the search options and welcome pages in all your browsers
----------
That's exactly what it was, a vuze update or at least I thought it was.

----------

Quote:
  1. Clear your browser's cache and cookies.
  2. Set your home page to whatever page you want.
  3. If you haven't already done so, try changing your DNS servers on your Mac and your router to OpenDNS servers. This will show you how: Why am I being redirected to other sites?.
Thanks GGJ.
DuganRun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2013, 02:57 AM   #14
Jayjay90
macrumors newbie

I have encountered the same issue but I guess I wasn't paying attention during the installation.
Anyway I was able to fix it by following the instructions i've found here: http://www.spigot.com/uninstall-mac-extensions.html and http://www.spigot.com/change-default-search.html
Hope this helps
Jayjay90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2013, 02:46 PM   #15
unowen
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Ever heard of a 0 day?

Uhhhhhh.....

Yeah - ok.

I've now put my tinfoil hat on, and I'm wondering - can you answer this person's question about Spigot, or not?

Yes - I am being slightly glib, but - other than the 'scary' stuff, you don't offer anything helpful.

Why am I even here?

I have a Mac (I've had 'em since late 80's), and I've had this Spigot 'bupkes' now on my new MBP for the past couple of days. I'd remove it (ALL), but, then - I must be doing something, 'cos I'm getting it again.

So, my question is - to you - and anyone else who's out there:

• What are the possible ways Spigot's getting in, i.e., a particular site, or a piece of software/extension

• What's the best way to remove it (or, more accurately, lessen the chances of picking it up again?)

UPDATE: I just read - right after typing this - that the latest rash of 'Spigotitis infection' is coming from (drumroll, please) CNET.

If you're downloading software from them (as I did), and use their 'CNET Installer' (as I did), it's 'wrapped' up in a Spigot-spreading container.

I'm getting my crayon out - and, more if necessary - and letting CNET know.

Last edited by unowen; Nov 21, 2013 at 02:50 PM. Reason: I just read further info
unowen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2013, 12:13 PM   #16
Charingx
macrumors newbie

library

Check ~/Library/Application Support/Spigot/ I removed this after I fixed the browsers and changed the DNS servers.
I used to love CNET.
Charingx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2013, 05:47 AM   #17
louie0817
macrumors newbie

Also had Spigot installed by the CNET installer while downloading/installing FontDoc app.
I only noticed it because it changed my homepage to the URL noted previously.
In addition to removing the directory ~/Library/Application Support/Spigot , I also removed 3 Safari extensions it installed. (see Safari/Preferences/Extensions)

Almost forget, when installing, I was asked about the installer wanting to access "my Contacts".

Last edited by louie0817; Nov 28, 2013 at 05:52 AM. Reason: more info
louie0817 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2013, 09:33 AM   #18
Jayjay90
macrumors newbie

Hello,

My name is Robert, I'm a Spigot representative and I can help with some instructions on how to remove the Spigot Mac extensions.

Please check out this tutorial page:
http://www.spigot.com/uninstall-mac-extensions.html

If you have further issues please contact us.
Jayjay90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help