Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jul 21, 2014, 07:46 PM   #1
swampfox201
macrumors newbie

email handeling iphone vs ipod touch

I had an ipod touch before and loved the way it handled my email. My email is from our DSL provider so its not yahoo, hotmail, ect. Using my ipod touch I could view my emails or trash them and when I went to my computer they would still be there ready to download. Now using my iphone when I view an email and trash it its never there when I hit get mail on my computer.

Also using my ipod touch when I viewed an email then later download the same email on my computer it would stay on my ipod touch. Now whenever I download my email on my computer it empties my iphone inbox.

The email settings on the ipod touch and iphone are exactly the same. Why are they handling things differently? I don't get it?

Frustrated
swampfox201 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:03 PM   #2
Givmeabrek
macrumors Demi-God

What kind of email account?? If a pop3 account you have to go to the advanced settings and under Delete From Server set to Never.

That way your computer will handle deletions.
Givmeabrek is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:14 PM   #3
swampfox201
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Givmeabrek View Post
What kind of email account?? If a pop3 account you have to go to the advanced settings and under Delete From Server set to Never.

That way your computer will handle deletions.
Yes it is a pop3 account. Using Thunderbird on my computer. I can't leave them on there forever as I am only allowed so much space and after a week everyone gets an mailbox full message.

I don't think that's it anyway cuz the ipod touch and iphone both handle it differnently right now with the settings as they are in thunderbird.
swampfox201 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:25 PM   #4
Givmeabrek
macrumors Demi-God

Set your computer email reader to delete from the server when you delete the email and set the iPhone to never delete. This is a very common setup.
Givmeabrek is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone