Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 24, 2012, 04:58 AM   #1
suclearnub
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Equestria
OS 9, and default apps

So I decided to get SheepShaver and OS9 because I had too much time on my hands. I want to use another app for playing my music, but QuickTime is used instead. Help?
__________________
[15" MBP, 2.4 Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD] [13" MBA, 1.8 Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 128GB SSD]
Failure's not an option, it comes bundled with all Samsung products (and probably Micro$oft).
suclearnub is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 05:27 AM   #2
motulist
macrumors 68040
 
motulist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by suclearnub View Post
So I decided to get SheepShaver and OS9 because I had too much time on my hands. I want to use another app for playing my music, but QuickTime is used instead. Help?
If I understand your question correctly, it sounds like you're asking for the name of an OS 9 app that plays MP3 files. It depends on what type of music player app you want. If you want a full featured music organization app, then you could simply use the old OS9 version of iTunes.

EDIT:

If you just want a simple audio file player, then definitely the far and away best one was/is SoundApp.

http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~franke/SoundApp/
motulist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 06:17 AM   #3
suclearnub
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Equestria
Quote:
Originally Posted by motulist View Post
If I understand your question correctly, it sounds like you're asking for the name of an OS 9 app that plays MP3 files. It depends on what type of music player app you want. If you want a full featured music organization app, then you could simply use the old OS9 version of iTunes.

EDIT:

If you just want a simple audio file player, then definitely the far and away best one was/is SoundApp.

http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~franke/SoundApp/
Yeah, but whenever I double click on any MP3 file, QuickTime plays, and I don't want that to happen. How can I change what app plays the music when I double click?
__________________
[15" MBP, 2.4 Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD] [13" MBA, 1.8 Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 128GB SSD]
Failure's not an option, it comes bundled with all Samsung products (and probably Micro$oft).
suclearnub is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 07:03 AM   #4
motulist
macrumors 68040
 
motulist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by suclearnub View Post
Yeah, but whenever I double click on any MP3 file, QuickTime plays, and I don't want that to happen. How can I change what app plays the music when I double click?
I believe you do it like this. Select any audio file in the finder, hit command-i (or apple-i), then where it says "open this file with:" and in that menu select the app you prefer, then click the option that says something like "always open this file type using this app."
motulist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 07:19 AM   #5
suclearnub
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Equestria
Quote:
Originally Posted by motulist View Post
I believe you do it like this. Select any audio file in the finder, hit command-i (or apple-i), then where it says "open this file with:" and in that menu select the app you prefer, then click the option that says something like "always open this file type using this app."
This works in OSX, but not in OS9. Searched all over the interwebz, but to no avail.
__________________
[15" MBP, 2.4 Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD] [13" MBA, 1.8 Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 128GB SSD]
Failure's not an option, it comes bundled with all Samsung products (and probably Micro$oft).
suclearnub is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 07:46 AM   #6
motulist
macrumors 68040
 
motulist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by suclearnub View Post
This works in OSX, but not in OS9. Searched all over the interwebz, but to no avail.
try this.



http://books.gigatux.nl/mirror/apple...an-CHP-24.html



http://support.apple.com/kb/TA26272?viewlocale=en_US



http://books.google.com/books?id=wdt...ed=0CE4Q6AEwBA



http://www.google.com/search?num=100....1.1WFJyWHEcxA
motulist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 08:17 AM   #7
suclearnub
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Equestria
When I want to change the 'file type', it won't let me choose the app I want it to be, 'Mpegdec 3.1.1'
Edit: image too small, use this URL: HERE
__________________
[15" MBP, 2.4 Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD] [13" MBA, 1.8 Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 128GB SSD]
Failure's not an option, it comes bundled with all Samsung products (and probably Micro$oft).

Last edited by suclearnub; Dec 24, 2012 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Herp the derp.
suclearnub is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:04 PM   #8
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601
 
Mr. Retrofire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: www.emiliana.cl
Quote:
Originally Posted by suclearnub View Post
When I want to change the 'file type', it won't let me choose the app I want it to be, 'Mpegdec 3.1.1'
Edit: image too small, use this URL: HERE
What happens, if you click “Select...”? Can you select iTunes?
__________________

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:12 PM   #9
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000
 
MisterKeeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Retrofire View Post
What happens, if you click “Select...”? Can you select iTunes?
I don't know, but iTunes wasn't included in OS 9. The highest version of iTunes for OS 9 is 2, which you can pick up here.
MisterKeeks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 11:42 AM   #10
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4
 
wrldwzrd89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Solon, OH
Ah, file type and creator codes are what determines what app things open with in OS 9. Sadly, OS 9 gives you no easy way to change these on a global basis. You can change them on a per-file basis, though - many OS 9 apps, SoundApp included, will offer to change the codes to theirs upon using the app to open a file.
__________________
iMac Intel (Rev H, 27"), 1TB HDD, 16GB RAM, 10.8.4
wrldwzrd89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:24 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC