Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Polansky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2010
Need some help with an applescript copying files from the desktop of my computer to the Synology NAS. I am really stuck.

The following would work for copying files from one folder to another folder on the desktop. Now I want to copy the files from the desktop to my NAS.

Is there someone who could please help me getting the files copied to my NAS instead of another folder on my desktop?

What I have so far:

Code:
property HDname : {"Mac OS X"}  -- Name of my internal HD

property User : {"Username"} -- The username I use on my Mac
property SourceHD : {"Mac OS X"} -- Name of my internal HD
property SourceFolder : {"Desktop", "test 1"} -- Sourcefolder
property TargetHD : {"Mac OS X"}
property DropFolder : {"Desktop", "test 2"}

property TargetVolume : {"NASname"}
property NASusername : {"NASusername"}
property NASpassword : {"Naspassword"}
property TargetVolumeFolder : {"Photography", "Photostream"}
Code:
-- Actual Script --
tell application "Finder"
	set sourcefiles to item 1 of SourceHD & ":Users:" & item 1 of User & ":" & item 1 of SourceFolder & ":" & item 2 of SourceFolder as alias

set target_folder to item 1 of TargetHD & ":Users:" & item 1 of User & ":" & item 1 of DropFolder & ":" & item 2 of DropFolder as alias

try
		duplicate (every file of the entire contents of sourcefiles whose name extension is in {"JPG", "NEF", "RAW", "RAW2"}) to the target_folder with replacing

end try
end tell

-- END Script --

Obviously the above script works for copying files from folder A to folder B on the same HD. Now I want it to copy to my NAS, but need some help from somebody on how I do this.

Your help will be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:

Polansky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2010
Solved my own problem.

For those who also want to copy files from their desktopfolder to their NAS system, you can use the following applescript:

--
Code:
property User : {"username"} -- The Username you use on your Mac
property SourceHD : {"Macintosh HD"} -- The name of your Mac Computer (HDD)
property SourceFolder : {"Desktop", "test 1"} -- Your sourcefolder(s)

property NASuser : {"nasusername"} -- The Username on your NAS
property NASpassword : {"naspassword"} -- The Password of your NAS
property NASVolume : {"sharedfolder"} -- NAS Shared Folder name
property NASDropFolder : {"folder1", "folder2"} -- The destination folder(s) on you NAS

on idle
	Loop()
	return 10
end idle
Code:
-- Actual Script --
on Loop()
	tell application "Finder"
		set sourcefiles to item 1 of SourceHD & ":Users:" & item 1 of User & ":" & item 1 of SourceFolder & ":" & item 2 of SourceFolder as alias
		try
			set target_folder_1 to item 1 of NASVolume & ":" & item 2 of NASDropFolder as alias
			set mounted_Disks to list disks
			if mounted_Disks contains item 1 of NASVolume then
				duplicate (every file of the entire contents of sourcefiles whose name extension is in {"JPG", "NEF", "RAW", "RAW2"}) to the target_folder_1 with replacing

-- Only use the following line if you want to delete the files in the source folder
				delete (every file of the entire contents of sourcefiles whose name extension is in {"JPG", "NEF", "RAW", "RAW2"})
			end if
		end try
	end tell
end Loop
--

Export the file as application / don't close

Last edited by a moderator:

sleovideo

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2015
Files to NAS

Your script is the only one I've come across that is close to what I am interested in doing, but I'm curious how to add a few variables.

My intention is to add any folders and files nested within "Music" locally to the "NAS Music" folder on a local NAS.

The idea being that music added to the local folder could later be added to the NAS, the entire music archive living on the NAS would not delete folders or files. So that I could delete music from the local without destroying the collection on the NAS.

In theory:
Source= Music
Destination= NAS Music
add any files from "Music" to "NAS Music" if not already in "NAS Music"

The questionable part is how can you tell Apple Script to check all files and folders nested within "Music" against all files and folders nested within "NAS Music" and only update files and folders that are not already in "NAS Music". Additionally, it would be helpful to keep the structure of the nested folders intact.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

-SL

sleovideo

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2015
Applescript

Im not dedicated to apple script... will look into rsync.

Thanks, Ill be back with questions if I have trouble!

superscape

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
East Riding of Yorkshire, UK
Cool. That's just a GUI round rsync so should do the job. If you want to be extra-showoffy then you could do it using a launch agent.

For example, if you save the following...

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"
   "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
   <key>Label</key>
   <string>com.ghostotter.sync</string>
   <key>ProgramArguments</key>
   <array>
      <string>/usr/bin/rsync</string>
      <string>-avz</string>
      <string>/Users/Admin/Desktop/Work</string>
      <string>/Volumes/Archive/Test</string>
   </array>
   <key>StartInterval</key>
   <integer>60</integer>
</dict>
</plist>

...into a file here, "/Library/LaunchAgents/com.ghostotter.sync.plist", then load it like this (in Terminal)

Code:
launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchAgents/com.ghostotter.sync.plist

Then the two folders (coloured red above) will be synched every 60 seconds (adjust by changing the number in green above).

Obviously, you probably want to adjust the name of the plist, the folder paths and intervals to something that makes sense to you. You probably want to do some checking to make sure both folders exist too.

More info about launch agents etc here: http://www.thesafemac.com/scheduling-recurring-tasks/

Hope that's some help!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.