Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:59 PM   #1
shadowjeff
macrumors regular

iPad mini build quality and fingerprints

I just got the ipad mini yesterday, and I love the size and everything else about it. The screen does bug me though but it has nothing to do with the screen resolution, it has more to do with the build quality of the screen.

I'm not entirely sure how to describe it but when you touch the glass of the ipad mini screen, it actually doesn't feel as solid or high quality as the glass on the ipad 4. It feels as though it can be bend. Not sure if its because of the thinner layer between the glass and LCD panel, but the glass kinda makes the ipad mini feels a little cheap.

Another issue is the fingerprints on this thing, it is driving me crazy. Just used it for a day, the fingerprints are everywhere on the screen. I don't eat anything oily when using any of my electronic devices and the fingerprints isn't that apparent at all when I'm using the normal ipad and my iPhone 5. Tried wiping them off with a microfibres cloth but the fingerprint 'oil' seems to not come off at all.
shadowjeff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:07 AM   #2
EMAN19
macrumors 6502

I can careless about the screen not being of high quality or not.

Easily getting fingerprints on the back is a bit of an annoyance that I noticed though. Oh well.
EMAN19 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:12 AM   #3
LanEvo
macrumors 6502

Get a case and screen protector, problem solved... Both those items can be had for under $10.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:14 AM   #4
Rogifan
macrumors G3

I have a 3rd gen iPad and I'm constantly wiping the screen on it too.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:18 AM   #5
greenchiliman
macrumors 6502

I put a matte finish protector on my iPad and don't have to worry about wiping fingerprints anymore. I also got a thin case for the back so, again, I don't have to wipe off constantly.
greenchiliman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:41 PM   #6
Appl3FTW
macrumors 68020

BREAKING NEWS: if you touch the screen, you will leave fingerprints.. which is annoying
Appl3FTW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:51 AM   #7
Mikhailov
macrumors regular

I use a ZAGG Invisible Shield HD. You don't notice the screen is even there and it takes care of the fingerprint issue.
Mikhailov is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:30 AM   #8
nanotoj
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhailov View Post
I use a ZAGG Invisible Shield HD. You don't notice the screen is even there and it takes care of the fingerprint issue.
Same here...it looks good. Tried a case I got at Walmart which started pulling it up on one side, returned it and I am now waiting on a sleeve ordered from Amazon which should allow me to leave the smartcover on.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:40 AM   #9
Nychot
macrumors 6502a

The screen is sxxi. If you even slightly accidentally drop the mini the screen will shatter. This is definitely NOT gorilla glass. I can just imagine after Xmas when kids get their hands on this thing the lineup at the Genius Bar for shattered screens. Apple's going to have come up with a new one.
Nychot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:20 PM   #10
EMAN19
macrumors 6502

Thumbs up

I got the White & Silver model yesterday and no visible smudges on the back or front! Woohoo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjleeds View Post
Because it's irritating, and I'm pedantic.

The whole "could care less" thing is ridiculous enough, and you took it to a whole new level.
I can care less if you're "pedantic" and find it irritating. Just contribute to the thread.
EMAN19 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:47 PM   #11
CNeufeld
macrumors 6502

I've got an iPad 2 and an iPad 3. The 3 is significantly more prone to getting covered with fingerprints than the 2 is, with the same amount and type of use. Not sure if they changed their coating or what, but it sounds like the Mini is more similar to the 3. Bummer.

Clint
CNeufeld is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:54 PM   #12
layziegtp
macrumors regular

ITT - Semantics
layziegtp is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:55 PM   #13
Izzybeff
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nychot View Post
The screen is sxxi. If you even slightly accidentally drop the mini the screen will shatter. This is definitely NOT gorilla glass. I can just imagine after Xmas when kids get their hands on this thing the lineup at the Genius Bar for shattered screens. Apple's going to have come up with a new one.
Not true. I dropped mine out of the car and onto the cement on Saturday from about 3 feet up in my husbands work van and it didn't shatter. Didn't even crack a corner or anything. It was in a knitted case at the time, but it was perfect when I took it out of the case.

Yes, I was freaking out and I though my husband was going to have a heart attack considering I had only had it for 24 hours at that point.
Izzybeff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:47 PM   #14
scupking
macrumors 6502

I see no difference in smudges or reflections between my mini and my now sold iPad 3.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:14 AM   #15
mctroki
macrumors newbie

I switched my Ipad 2 for a mini and the difference in terms of left fingerprints is huge. I spend my time cleaning the mini which I did not need to do on the 2.

What has changed between the 2 screens?
mctroki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:22 PM   #16
AppleRobert
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctroki View Post
I switched my Ipad 2 for a mini and the difference in terms of left fingerprints is huge. I spend my time cleaning the mini which I did not need to do on the 2.

What has changed between the 2 screens?
Don't know but I have sort of an interesting story. I personally rid myself of the Mini and the fingerprints was a reason besides the screen and older chip.

My GF saw an open box ipad 2 in BB the other day. She went to the display area to first check this model out. She immediately noticed far less fingerprints. I said well how but the text? She said it was OK but she knew she could use a different browser like Perfect so we went back to the employee and she purchased it. We get it back to her place, opened the box and the thing was brand spanking new, the ipad 2 still in plastic wrap along with the connector and charger as well!

She is returning the Mini getting a new ipad 2 basically for the same price.
AppleRobert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:58 PM   #17
xMClass
macrumors 6502

Don't want fingerprints all over your device? Don't use it.
xMClass is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:29 PM   #18
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRobert View Post
Don't know but I have sort of an interesting story. I personally rid myself of the Mini and the fingerprints was a reason besides the screen and older chip.

My GF saw an open box ipad 2 in BB the other day. She went to the display area to first check this model out. She immediately noticed far less fingerprints. I said well how but the text? She said it was OK but she knew she could use a different browser like Perfect so we went back to the employee and she purchased it. We get it back to her place, opened the box and the thing was brand spanking new, the ipad 2 still in plastic wrap along with the connector and charger as well!

She is returning the Mini getting a new ipad 2 basically for the same price.
Apart from physical size, there are no discernible differences in hardware. The processor is similar (A5 in iPad mini is slightly faster), screen resolution is same, both panels are IPS, camera is better on iPad mini, etc. iPad mini has stereo speakers which is better than the mono speaker in iPad 2. Now if she got an iPad 3 then I'd say that is a big difference.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:44 PM   #19
AppleRobert
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard2008 View Post
Apart from physical size, there are no discernible differences in hardware. The processor is similar (A5 in iPad mini is slightly faster), screen resolution is same, both panels are IPS, camera is better on iPad mini, etc. iPad mini has stereo speakers which is better than the mono speaker in iPad 2. Now if she got an iPad 3 then I'd say that is a big difference.
She liked the size of it better to tell the truth versus the Mini. It isn't a BIG difference from the 3 or 4 size and weight but it is noticable.

See noticed the fingerprint difference with it and the Mini which kind of shocked me. I never mentioned it to her it was one of the reasons I returned the Mini.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMClass View Post
Don't want fingerprints all over your device? Don't use it.
Geez! You know how some people are on this forum by just looking at some of the threads. EVERYTHING matters to some.

And something changed, the difference is noticable. And why if it was enough to bother some folks did it need to? If that feature wasn't broken to begin with, why make it worse?

I guess maybe there are different screen manufacturers so that might be it.
AppleRobert is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad