Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

themacman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2004
kc
I am a student who does some minor video and photo editing. I like the widescreen of the 15'' combo drive, but i could get a 12'' superdrive for 1577 with the edu dicount and 768 mb of ram. What would be the best sytem for me?

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2004
themacman said:
I am a student who does some minor video and photo editing. I like the widescreen of the 15'' combo drive, but i could get a 12'' superdrive for 1577 with the edu dicount and 768 mb of ram. What would be the best sytem for me?

Well since your doing photo and some video editing, you'll probibly like the larger screen for that; the higher resolution comes in handy when using photoshop. Now since your a student, you might want something smaller like the 12 inch since most college desks are rather small; and if you have a larger work space you might not want to carry a 15inch.

I take my notebook pretty much anywhere, and a 12inch screen would be nice IMHO; I got 14.1 and sometimes thats just a tad to big for the desk; but it's not much larger than a 1inch binder anyway. It's all about your own taste, if your fine with the small screen then id go for that; but if you can't stand working on a small screen (with less resolution) then get the larger.

itsbetteronamac

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2003
Go 15 all the way. You will greatly appreciate the extra screen space, and the far better resolution. Also, it is far more comfertable to type on. Oh, and also you don't even notice the extra bulk. It actually seems lighter. The 12" feels really heavy for its size and .1 inches thicker. Also, speakers sound much better on the 15", and heat is disapated for better. Now, it will still get hot, but not has hot a the 12".

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
themacman said:

Apple RAM = Big no no ;)

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
the ruins of the Cherokee nation
15' with the combo drive.
If you need a superdrive, by a third party one, and the same with RAM.
Apple RAM is expensive, third party RAM from Crucial or Data Memory Systems is much cheaper and works just as well.

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2003
It all depends how minor this video and photo editing is and what else you will be using the computer for. The 15" is much less portable in my opinion and for all purposes except serious photo editing and serious video editing, you can get by with a 12" screen. Plus you get better battery life and save cash. The 12" powerbooks also seem to retain their value more... maybe because people looking for 12" powerbooks are just looking for a computer that will fit into their lifestyle (ie portable) and do what they need it to do (a little bit of all the basics), while 15" powerbook users are more power users who need to have hte latest and greatest. I'd say decide which category you fit into.

I personally do what I would call minor video editing, photo editing, web design, but I don't live on my computer. I prefer the 12" pb.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
If you plan on taking it to a lot of classes then I would get the 12". You can always hookup an external monitor down the road. However, if you need features like the faster graphics card, Firewire 800, PCMCIA card slot, TV out built-in, or a backlit keyboard then go with the 15". It is all up to how much you really think you are going to carry it around.

NtotheIzoo

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2005
Chrispy said:
If you plan on taking it to a lot of classes then I would get the 12". You can always hookup an external monitor down the road. However, if you need features like the faster graphics card, Firewire 800, PCMCIA card slot, TV out built-in, or a backlit keyboard then go with the 15". It is all up to how much you really think you are going to carry it around.

I agree...I bought the 12 for its price and size...I'm in law school and I take it w/ me everyday...my bag is so light, i really can even tell i'm carrying a lappy...but if you need the more power and extras...get the 15...

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Dont buy a powerbook

Seriously dont encourage them into thinking that anything with the apple name on it will sell no matter how outdated it is. Minor video editing ibook 14in will do great and with the money you save you can buy a powerbook when their features are equal to their price.

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
take out a piece of letter-sized paper.

put it on your desk.

imagine that being a powerbook.

go buy a 12".

themacman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2004
kc
AP_piano295 said:
Dont buy a powerbook

Seriously dont encourage them into thinking that anything with the apple name on it will sell no matter how outdated it is. Minor video editing ibook 14in will do great and with the money you save you can buy a powerbook when their features are equal to their price.
yeah i agree im waiting until its updated. Hopefully tomorow

themacman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2004
kc
what does everyone else have. could u please tell me with your expreinces with the 12'' and the 15''. If it has ever been to big or too small.

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
I have a 12" Powerbook hooked up to an external 17" CMV 726-D monitor.

I am a digital artist using Adobe CS2 and Corel Painter IX and I'm learning web design at the moment so I'm using Macromedia Studio MX 2004. All these apps run efficiently on my Powerbook without a hitch.

I love the portability of my Powerbook. I travel overseas on average 3 times a year and I take my Powerbook everywhere (including cafes etc). When I bought it I did consider the 15", but decided against it as I know a few people with them and the often mention it's size can be a bit cumbersome when carrying it around for long periods or when space is minimum. Besides with the money I saved I bought the external monitor.

I can't recommend it enough, and yes it is far more preferable than an iBook in my opinion. We have an iBook as well and regardless of what some people here might say there is a difference between the two. For a start there is no screen spanning on an iBook and if you calibrate your monitor correctly you do notice a significant difference in screen quality. My Powerbook does run a tad faster than an iBook as well. The Powerbook is far more sturdier and the speakers are obviously better.

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
Since I already have a great G5 dual and a Dell 24" display, my next purchase will be 12" PowerBook. Unless we see a WS 13" soon.

I want my portable to be portable and yet fully support a larger external display without any spanning hack cutting my VRAM in half.

MacPassion

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2005
OZ
Bern said:
I have a 12" Powerbook hooked up to an external 17" CMV 726-D monitor.

How much RAM do you have? Do you think that it is important to have a good result when using an external monitor? The low resolution on the 12'' has any impact on how well you see stuff on your external monitor?

cocozz

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2005
I dream... :eek: One day I'll have a pb 12" on my desk, connected to an apple cinema monitor 30" ...

:rolleyes:

electronboy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2005
themacman said:

Get the 15". Hands down. Everyone in my office uses the 15" PB. The 12" is very rare. Also, you have to use a mini DVi to full size DVI adapter when connecting to an external display when using the 12" PB. I think this is a problem. You also get more ports on the 15". Our web editors, photographers, and video editors all use 15" PowerBooks. Oh and get the SuperDrive up front. Don't try an upgrade it later=problems and headache. Have you considered getting a used one somewhere?

And do wait a bit before buying a new one. They should be updated soon if the rumors are correct.

ThatSoundAgain

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2005
cocozz said:
I dream... :eek: One day I'll have a pb 12" on my desk, connected to an apple cinema monitor 30" ...

:rolleyes:

Actually, I think that only the 17" PB can drive the 30" display. You need dual DVI.

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
Michigan
ThatSoundAgain said:
Actually, I think that only the 17" PB can drive the 30" display. You need dual DVI.
Hmm, I thought that the 15" PB with the upgraded 128MB vid card could drive it also.

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
stonyc said:
Hmm, I thought that the 15" PB with the upgraded 128MB vid card could drive it also.

You are correct.

I would go with the 15" with the upgraded video ram and processor if the OP is using it for video and photo. The XGA on my 14" is good enough for me since I do very little photo editting maybe once a week making wallpapers for my cell phone or computer. If you do video and photo editting though I would spring for the biggest you can handle. After being exposed to Apple, I would say that my next purchase will be the big dog: 17" Powerbook. I am a big strong guy so carrying it around is no problem. I mean if you can lift 110-130 pound girls, a 7 lb Powerbook will be no problem. :D

KittenKrusher

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2005
My vote is 15" since you will be doing photography and editing. It isn't a great deal bigger and I have yet to see a classroom that can hold a 12" but not a 15". That might just be my university though.

Hell I got a 17" and I take it to class, I hardly use it though. I still prefer taking notes with a pen and paper. Between classes I am always on my 17".

themacman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2004
kc
ThatSoundAgain said:
a 15' pb with a superdrive and 128 mb of v ram can also run a 30''

themacman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2004
kc
KittenKrusher said:
My vote is 15" since you will be doing photography and editing. It isn't a great deal bigger and I have yet to see a classroom that can hold a 12" but not a 15". That might just be my university though.

Hell I got a 17" and I take it to class, I hardly use it though. I still prefer taking notes with a pen and paper. Between classes I am always on my 17".
the weird thing is everyone witht apple laptops at my school all have 12''. From teachers to students. We must have big desks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.