Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
My '09 Mac Pro just became my main computer so I need it to access my iCloud account. I don't want to break anything so I'm a bit leery about upgrading the OS and wondering if I should go all the way to ML or go with Lion (which was running nicely on my Macbook until the boot partition got corrupted). If I go with Lion the nice thing is I'll eventually be running one OS on both computers. Are there likely to be problems if I go to ML or Lion, and which would be safer? I'm running only pretty standard applications/devices (PS CS6, Extensis Portfolio 8.5, Bridge, Lightroom, Canon EOS stuff, older Wacom Intuos tablet, HP Laserjet wireless network multifunction printer, Script Debugger, various well known utilities) so I'm not too worried about those but I do have a SATA 3 card and external enclosure from Sans Digital. Should upgrading be fairly uneventful and should I go Lion or ML to ease the process? For mail I do need iCloud and I don't have time right now to solve incompatibility problems. Insights, experiences appreciated.

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
ML generally runs better than Lion on most hardware. Worth going all the way IMO. Note, however, that you don't need to upgrade if all you're worried about is email. iCloud email is just standard IMAP + SMTP. Any mail client can be configured to access it.

C. Alan

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2009
I just upgraded my '09 Mac Pro from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion. The only thing that was holding me back in the past was the lack of Quicken '07 support. Quicken has since fixed that problem, so I went ahead and did the upgrade over the weekend. So far, I have not had any problems. The only application I lost in the conversion was an old text editor. I still have Snow Leopard on a separate partition if I really need it.

BTW, I did not install in on my SSD. It went on a new 1TB HD. I will be removing my SSD soon, as I haven't seen a lot of improvement with it given the way I run my Mac.
--C. Alan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.