Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:43 AM   #101
Happybunny
macrumors 68000

What is saddest of it all is, that I lay odds that we will be having a very similar thread about another shooting in the USA within six months.

Last edited by Happybunny; Dec 28, 2012 at 07:05 AM.
Happybunny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:51 AM   #102
NickZac
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbloc View Post
No sympathy from me I'm afraid. The majority of the rest of the world understands that guns have no place in society. Why won't you join us?
I'm glad to hear you know what is best for society. I was worried there for a minute.

What about Islam? Should we add that to your list as well? (hell, let's add all religion)
NickZac is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:36 AM   #103
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickZac View Post
IWhat about Islam? Should we add that to your list as well? (hell, let's add all religion)
Religion + guns is certainly not a good mix.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:49 PM   #104
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Looks like we now know where he got the guns.

Quote:
WEBSTER, N.Y. (AP) A 24-year-old woman was arrested Friday and charged in connection with the guns used in the Christmas Eve ambush slaying of two volunteer firefighters responding to a house fire in upstate New York.

Dawn Nguyen of Rochester faces a federal charge of knowingly making a false statement, U.S. Attorney William Hochul said. She also was charged with a state count of filing a falsified business record, State Police Senior Investigator James Sewell said.

Sewell said the charges are connected to the purchase of an AR-15 semiautomatic rifle and a 12-gauge shotgun that William Spengler had with him Monday when firefighters Michael Chiapperini and Tomasz Kaczowka were gunned down. Three other people were wounded before the 62-year-old Spengler killed himself. He also had a .38-caliber revolver, but Nguyen is not connected to that gun, Sewell said.

Hochul said Nguyen bought the two guns on June 6, 2010, on behalf of Spengler, who as a convicted felon was barred from possessing weapons. Police used the serial numbers on the guns to trace them to Nguyen.
Link

If you buy guns legally and give them to someone illegally who commits a crime, you should be charged with the crime as well.
rdowns is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:58 AM   #105
webbuzz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post

Link

If you buy guns legally and give them to someone illegally who commits a crime, you should be charged with the crime as well.
It is called a straw purchase, which is illegal. Both should be charged with murder and most likely will be by the Feds.

This is the same type of purchase the ATF was using with Fast and Furious.
webbuzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:36 PM   #106
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraserhead View Post
I guess you can guarantee children will be taught to walk by their parents, but assuming this is like assuming children will be taught about sex by their parents.
That is why we have School.
You know, with the yellow buses.

There is a lot of subjects parents will not teach children, including Math, History, Science.

----------

Quote:
Link

As pointed out, a FEDERAL LAW (Straw Purchase) does exist.

You are a perfect example of why mandatory gun safety and laws should be taught at all schools because you did not know this law existed.

A good chance the young 24 year old woman Dawn Nguyen was sucked into thinking she could make a few extra bucks by buying the weapons for the killer.
Had she known she would be fully responsible for any action of the perpetrator, she would have likely denied it.

I could say a law could be made the shop owner read off responsibilities to buyer.
PracticalMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:41 PM   #107
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracticalMac View Post

As pointed out, a FEDERAL LAW (Straw Purchase) does exist.

You are a perfect example of why mandatory gun safety and laws should be taught at all schools because you did not know this law existed.

A good chance the young 24 year old woman Dawn Nguyen was sucked into thinking she could make a few extra bucks by buying the weapons for the killer.
Had she known she would be fully responsible for any action of the perpetrator, she would have likely denied it.

I could say a law could be made the shop owner read off responsibilities to buyer.

Type bigger, maybe I'll understand it better.

I am fully aware of straw purchases and that they are illegal. Maybe my post wasn't clear in that I am advocating charging the straw purchaser with the gun crime, not just falsifying a federal form.
rdowns is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 06:12 AM   #108
Zombie Acorn
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunk View Post
What is the "proper use" of a semi-automatic weapon? Is it not to kill and disable as many people as possible?
I love the popular use of the term semi automatic now. You can pretty much pinpoint the people who have no real experience with guns.
Zombie Acorn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:07 AM   #109
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Type bigger, maybe I'll understand it better.

I am fully aware of straw purchases and that they are illegal. Maybe my post wasn't clear in that I am advocating charging the straw purchaser with the gun crime, not just falsifying a federal form.
Yes, not clear.
And yes, I agree, make the one who passes on culpable, more responsibility.
It will also reduce easy movement of guns, and prompt reports of theft.
PracticalMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues