Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajkr711

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2012
Michigan/USA
I was originally thinking I might go the refurb route, but am now thinking that because I want to keep this unit for at least 5 years, I want to "future proof" it as much as I can.

With that said, here are the two options I'm considering:

Option 1 - 21.5", 1TB Fusion Drive, upgrade to 16GB RAM - w/ EDU discount - $1,804

Option 2 - 27", 3TB Fusion Drive, keep 8GB RAM (b/c I can upgrade later) - $2,059.

It's only $250 difference and I feel like the 27" gives me a lot of room to expand, but I'm not 100% convinced I need the screen real estate of the 27" (especially coming from a 17").

My workflow is pretty simple: MS Office for Mac, Web Surfing, minor Photo Editing (Photoshop Elements now, but likely moving to Aperture), minor home video editing, iTunes Library. I will likely use this as a hub for all of our media and stream much of it to iPad & Apple TV.

Any suggestions/thoughts would be welcome.

neda

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2005
If a bigger screen isn't that to important to you the 21" would probably be fine for you. In terms of what's inside, one should always get the maximum "power" ,ie memory , storage ,chip speed etc. ,that one can afford.
I myself got the 27" because I like it for my photography and design work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.