Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:51 AM   #1
matej617
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Help with iMac G4

I need some help with my iMac G4. It's extremely slow and I think it's because of the operating system. I am currently running OS X 10.4.11 on it. Will it work faster if I install OS X 10.3, or should I just reinstall 10.4?
specs: 800mHz PPC, 512 mb of RAM

Thank you.
matej617 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 02:30 PM   #2
chuckiehina
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by matej617 View Post
I need some help with my iMac G4. It's extremely slow and I think it's because of the operating system. I am currently running OS X 10.4.11 on it. Will it work faster if I install OS X 10.3, or should I just reinstall 10.4?
specs: 800mHz PPC, 512 mb of RAM

Thank you.
1. You might get more responses if you asked this in the Power PC forum.

2. I suspect it is more a memory issue than an OS issue. Stick with Tiger but put at least 512MB in the bottom slot of the G4 iMac. Also try to minimize the number of Dashboard apps, especially if you have a lot (more than half a dozen) of them running.
chuckiehina is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 02:33 PM   #3
bflowers
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
I have one of those. How much stuff do you have clogging up the hard drive? What kind of page outs do you get from your memory usage? Mine runs slow, relatively speaking, but I don't really ask it to do to much. What are you expecting it to do?
bflowers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:29 AM   #4
matej617
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
I will give it to my sister. She only uses computers for Facebook and Youtube, but the videos on youtube are extremely slow unless you change the quality to 240p every time.
matej617 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:38 AM   #5
AQUADock
macrumors 65816
 
AQUADock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by matej617 View Post
I will give it to my sister. She only uses computers for Facebook and Youtube, but the videos on youtube are extremely slow unless you change the quality to 240p every time.
If you use a separate application called Mactubes and change the player to quicktime you should be able to play 420p.
__________________
Mac Mini i5 - iPad 2 - GS3
AQUADock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 04:41 AM   #6
matej617
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Thanks I'll give that a try. Btw about the RAM upgrade, how can I know which chip will work with my machine?
matej617 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 06:44 AM   #7
AQUADock
macrumors 65816
 
AQUADock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by matej617 View Post
Thanks I'll give that a try. Btw about the RAM upgrade, how can I know which chip will work with my machine?
The iMac has 1 easily upgradable slot and 1 harder to upgrade ram slot. http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple..._700MHz_800MHz
__________________
Mac Mini i5 - iPad 2 - GS3

Last edited by AQUADock; Dec 25, 2012 at 08:32 AM.
AQUADock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 07:48 AM   #8
fhall1
macrumors 68020
 
fhall1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NY State of mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUADock View Post
The iMac has 1 user upgradable slot and 1 soldered in ram slot. http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple..._700MHz_800MHz
Neither slot is soldered in....both slots are upgradable (I've done it), but one is easier than the other. The internal slot requires taking the base apart and changing the RAM, then re-applying heat transfer compound to the two surfaces before you button it back up....there are videos out there showing how to do it for each model - there are slight differences depending on which model you have.
__________________
2012 2.3GHz i7 Mini, 16GB RAM; 2009 2.93 GHz C2D iMac, 8GB RAM, GT120 GPU
1.83 GHz CD Mini, 2GB RAM, 200GB HD; 1.25 GHz 17" G4 iMac, 2GB RAM, 128GB SSD
64GB Silver iPhone 5s, 64GB White iPad Air
fhall1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 08:31 AM   #9
AQUADock
macrumors 65816
 
AQUADock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhall1 View Post
Neither slot is soldered in....both slots are upgradable (I've done it), but one is easier than the other. The internal slot requires taking the base apart and changing the RAM, then re-applying heat transfer compound to the two surfaces before you button it back up....there are videos out there showing how to do it for each model - there are slight differences depending on which model you have.
Ah right my mistake i was thinking that they were the same like the 12" iBooks and Powerbooks.
__________________
Mac Mini i5 - iPad 2 - GS3
AQUADock is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iMac SMC Firmware Update 1.1 - Fan Noise - Late 2013 27 iMac alksion iMac 139 Jan 17, 2014 09:51 AM
Help, Erased iMac HDD volume drive trying reset my iMac to factory conditions trueq iMac 12 Dec 23, 2013 09:27 AM
Is possible to install Ati HD 6670m (iMac 2011 21,5) in iMac 27 late 2009?? Gianca90 iMac 4 Nov 5, 2013 04:08 PM
Late 2009 27" iMac Graphics Card DYING AGAIN. Which new iMac to replace it? DracoDWS iMac 0 Sep 29, 2013 08:50 PM
iMac late 2012 not the same brightness as iMac 2011/2010/2009? Krrrt iMac 10 May 16, 2013 08:58 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:45 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC