Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
I am new to Mac and am in the process of trying to find a good third party backup/rsync wrapper application...

I stumbled across backuplist+ [see http://rdutoit.home.comcast.net/~rdutoit/pub/robsoft/pages/softw.html ] which is fantastic in every way except that it does not play nice with my NAS drive which i) is not HFS+ formatted but ii) is AFP and CIFS compatible...

The backuplist+ developer suggested that I ask as to whether CCC does / does not work well with NAS drives like mine as he believes that the CCC developer has done a lot of work in this area...

With that, please provide me with feedback regarding the use of CCC and NAS drives which are not HFS+ formatted...

Thanks in advance...

Joel

kaelell

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2009
bump* am also looking for similar advice, actually I am still deciding what NAS enclosure to buy ( looking at a popular one from Synology) but understand there are various things to consider especially if I want to use 3TB it has to be formatted a particular way ? I dont quite fully understand the implications that would have on timemachine or CCC

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
Are you looking to back up your system to NAS using CCC, or backup your NAS to another drive?

CCC will not make a bootable clone on a network drive.

However, I use CCC to backup my old Thecus NAS to an external HD regularly. My Synology NAS has it's own routine for backing itself up to a USB drive connected to the NAS itself.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Above poster is right about the clone not being bootable. However you can use CCC to create and backup to a disk image on your NAS. If your system crashes you can boot to the Mac's Internet recovery partition and restore the image off the NAS using disk utility.

This also provides a huge speed benefit. All NAS units are inherently slow moving small files (kilobyte range) because of associated network overhead. The image process makes the computer only send over 5-megabyte increments and it is just as fast as a direct attached storage device.

I use that process to backup my Aperture library that's stored on an external Thunderbolt drive and also to backup my HTPC and MBP. Works like a charm.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Are you looking to back up your system to NAS using CCC, or backup your NAS to another drive?

CCC will not make a bootable clone on a network drive.

However, I use CCC to backup my old Thecus NAS to an external HD regularly. My Synology NAS has it's own routine for backing itself up to a USB drive connected to the NAS itself.

Above poster is right about the clone not being bootable. However you can use CCC to create and backup to a disk image on your NAS. If your system crashes you can boot to the Mac's Internet recovery partition and restore the image off the NAS using disk utility.

This also provides a huge speed benefit. All NAS units are inherently slow moving small files (kilobyte range) because of associated network overhead. The image process makes the computer only send over 5-megabyte increments and it is just as fast as a direct attached storage device.

I use that process to backup my Aperture library that's stored on an external Thunderbolt drive and also to backup my HTPC and MBP. Works like a charm.

Hi Guys!

Appreciate the input...

To answer your question I am going to use a two tier backup strategy as follows:

1. Backup my MBA in its entirety using Time Machine.

2. Backup my Home folder and Applications folder using backuplist+ or CCC or something else.

The point of my above post was to try to find an application that works well with my current NAS drive as is the case with my Windows laptop which uses the same two tier strategy.

As such, still looking for answers as to how CCC works with non-HFS+ formatted NAS drives.

Thanks,

Joel

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.