Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Sep 25, 2005, 10:01 PM   #1
derajfast
macrumors 6502a

PLEASE HELP FROZEN AT STARTUP

adium froze, so i force quit it and restarted.....well now the computer freezes at the startup screen..........ive tried doing the shirt cmd opt del to boot fom my external but it doesnt work.........it freezes at the screen with the apple and the little spinning dial thing on the grey backdrop.....PLEASE HELP. im really worried since i dont have apple care....thanks.....help is appreciated asap because i have a paper i need to print out on it
derajfast is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2005, 10:06 PM   #2
derajfast
macrumors 6502a

also, i dont have my startup disk since i am at college........if i bring it to the apple store will they fix it w/o chargig?
Old Sep 25, 2005, 10:19 PM   #3
Duff-Man
macrumors 68030

Duff-Man says...first thing you want to try is starting in "single user" mode and running fsck...

from edesignuk's great help thread
How to run FSCK

Restart your Mac holding down "Command(the Apple key)+S" key to enter 'Single user mode'.
Type "fsck -f", and hit return.
Once complete type "reboot" and hit return to reboot you Mac back in to OS X as normal.

all I might add to that is that if fsck says it has fixed some errors, run it again until you receive no errors....oh yeah!
Old Sep 25, 2005, 10:33 PM   #4
derajfast
macrumors 6502a

well i think my internal HD is fried...............i figured out how to boot it off my external even though all my prefs are on the internal......this is really quite annoying......so it looks like im going to do that powerbook resq thing and get the 120 installed......the internal wont mount on my dekstop now....god damn, just what i needed
Old Sep 25, 2005, 10:38 PM   #5
JW8725
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff-Man
Duff-Man says...first thing you want to try is starting in "single user" mode and running fsck...

from edesignuk's great help thread
How to run FSCK

Restart your Mac holding down "Command(the Apple key)+S" key to enter 'Single user mode'.
Type "fsck -f", and hit return.
Once complete type "reboot" and hit return to reboot you Mac back in to OS X as normal.

all I might add to that is that if fsck says it has fixed some errors, run it again until you receive no errors....oh yeah!
Duff man, sir! What for those that have the apple bluetooth keyboard, like myself? I
JW8725 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2005, 10:40 PM   #6
Duff-Man
macrumors 68030

Duff-Man says....the drive may not be dead - when the app froze and you had to hard-reset it's possible the directory structure got toasted - and that could cause it not to mount. Diskwarrior is very good at this type of thing and is a great piece of software to have in your utility box...it might just save your drivce this time and I am sure it is cheaper than sending the drive in like you are thinking. And even if that is not the case this time - someday you'll probably be very glad you had Diskwarrior around to gte you back up and running.....oh yeah!
Old Sep 25, 2005, 10:42 PM   #7
Duff-Man
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossoUK
Duff man, sir! What for those that have the apple bluetooth keyboard, like myself? I
Duff-Man says....I am afraid the best answer I can give to that is to keep that USB keyboard around for emergencies....oh yeah!
Old Sep 25, 2005, 10:51 PM   #8
derajfast
macrumors 6502a

well i just ran disk utility and it said there was a disk error......and tghat it cant fix it
Old Sep 25, 2005, 10:56 PM   #9
Duff-Man
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by derajfast
well i just ran disk utility and it said there was a disk error......and tghat it cant fix it
Duff-Man says...Again, Diskwarrior *may* still revive your drive - it performs a different task than Disk Utility.....I am not making any promise of course, but like I said, even if it doesn't work this time it is something you may be glad you have sometime later. You can buy a download version and install on your external drive and run it from there, or order a bootable cd (or both if you like!)....oh yeah!
Old Sep 25, 2005, 11:24 PM   #10
FFTT
macrumors 68030

Did you run the disk utility off your OS install disk or from your external.

What may be happening is that with your external connected, that your
computer is having trouble determining which drive is your boot drive.

I can't explain why, but it happened on my old tower with an ATA and a SCSI if I didn't select and lock the startup disk before shutting down.

If you can, boot from your OS CD , run disk repair on your start-up volume
and then try to restart without your external drive connected.

Try running your hardware diagnostic CD if you have one.

If you fragged your directory too far I'm not sure if DiskWarrior will help,
if you had time to buy it.

Sorry I'm not much help.

Hope you figure it out.
Old May 10, 2009, 04:06 PM   #11
transphattyacid
macrumors newbie

What if I have wireless mouse and keyboard?

So here's what fixed my problem: I have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. My iMac would freeze AFTER startup. I could move the mouse, but if I clicked nothing happened. Couldn't reboot or force quit anything. I spent 40 minutes doing the things suggested in this forum and no luck. Then, I changed the batteries in the wireless mouse and I was fixed! Stupid but easy fix. So if you have wireless keyboard and mouse, check the batteries first.
transphattyacid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2012, 05:06 AM   #12
DanaD
macrumors newbie

I ******** love you duff-man! Thank you!!!
DanaD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:00 AM   #13
Hoffmac
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by transphattyacid View Post
So here's what fixed my problem: I have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. My iMac would freeze AFTER startup. I could move the mouse, but if I clicked nothing happened. Couldn't reboot or force quit anything. I spent 40 minutes doing the things suggested in this forum and no luck. Then, I changed the batteries in the wireless mouse and I was fixed! Stupid but easy fix. So if you have wireless keyboard and mouse, check the batteries first.
Same situation here, and thank you! That worked! Its stupid and easy but it was genius for you to post the solution! THANKS!
Hoffmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help