Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 2, 2012, 07:56 PM   #1
MBP13
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Best Wide Angle Lens for D5000

Hey, everyone!

I'm looking for a great wide angle lens for a Nikon D5000. Right now, I have a 18-55mm, but I'd love to get a wide angle lens that is nicer than the 18-55mm.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help is appreciated!
MBP13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2012, 10:08 PM   #2
joshuaginter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canada
I'm really no expert but I've been researching this as well. I have a D5100 and want a wide-angle in the future.

As per my limited research, the best wide-angle seems to be the Nikon 10-24mm. Apparently the older 12-24mm is quite good as well.
__________________
13" Retina MacBook Pro, 16GB iPad Mini with Cellular, 16GB iPhone 5
joshuaginter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2012, 10:34 PM   #3
MBP13
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuaginter View Post
I'm really no expert but I've been researching this as well. I have a D5100 and want a wide-angle in the future.

As per my limited research, the best wide-angle seems to be the Nikon 10-24mm. Apparently the older 12-24mm is quite good as well.
Thanks for you help, dude.
MBP13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2012, 10:51 AM   #4
Laird Knox
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
I've been really happy with the Tokina 11-16mm on a D7000.
Laird Knox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2012, 12:12 PM   #5
ChrisA
macrumors G4
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Redondo Beach, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBP13 View Post
Hey, everyone!

I'm looking for a great wide angle lens for a Nikon D5000. Right now, I have a 18-55mm, but I'd love to get a wide angle lens that is nicer than the 18-55mm.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help is appreciated!

The BIG question is "Where will you use this lens?" If it is indoors with available light then go with the faster lens, maybe even the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 because it goes to f/2.8

You can also look for a used nikon 12-24mm f/4.0 It is a stop faster then the current one and is a better lens. It is built well enough that if might last 50 years. That is the reason so many people buy Nikon for the available used lenses.

My opinion is 12mm is "wide enough" and 12mmis WAY wider than your 18mm lens even if 6mm does not sound like much, it is. I think a 10mm lens is bordering of a "special effect".

But any advice is not worth much unless you tell use where you will shoot. For example land scopes are fine with a f/5.6 lens. But for indoor people shoots you will really like the f/2.8 lens two stops is a 4x reduction in shutter speed or ISO setting and you can almost isolate the subject (Indoor shots are many times cluttered.)

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuaginter View Post
As per my limited research, the best wide-angle seems to be the Nikon 10-24mm.
"Best" for what kind of subjects? People, archeticure, landscapes?.... I really prefer NOT to use an f/5.6 lens for people. It works for other subjects
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2012, 03:48 PM   #6
joshuaginter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
The BIG question is "Where will you use this lens?" If it is indoors with available light then go with the faster lens, maybe even the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 because it goes to f/2.8

You can also look for a used nikon 12-24mm f/4.0 It is a stop faster then the current one and is a better lens. It is built well enough that if might last 50 years. That is the reason so many people buy Nikon for the available used lenses.

My opinion is 12mm is "wide enough" and 12mmis WAY wider than your 18mm lens even if 6mm does not sound like much, it is. I think a 10mm lens is bordering of a "special effect".

But any advice is not worth much unless you tell use where you will shoot. For example land scopes are fine with a f/5.6 lens. But for indoor people shoots you will really like the f/2.8 lens two stops is a 4x reduction in shutter speed or ISO setting and you can almost isolate the subject (Indoor shots are many times cluttered.)

----------



"Best" for what kind of subjects? People, archeticure, landscapes?.... I really prefer NOT to use an f/5.6 lens for people. It works for other subjects
Sorry for my poor word choice. As I expressed, I am not an expert.
__________________
13" Retina MacBook Pro, 16GB iPad Mini with Cellular, 16GB iPhone 5
joshuaginter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2012, 05:01 PM   #7
bobt
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Michigan
I've been very pleased with the Nikon 12-24, actually have purchased two (bought one for my son, borrowed it for too long and ended up buying another). Both have been great lenses for our needs, really didn't give too much consideration to buying the 10-24 when I bought mine even though it was out.
bobt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2012, 05:29 PM   #8
MBP13
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
"Best" for what kind of subjects? People, archeticure, landscapes?.... I really prefer NOT to use an f/5.6 lens for people. It works for other subjects
I mostly photograph people, trains, buses, cars, etc.

Any more help? I appreciate everyone's replies.
MBP13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2012, 09:13 PM   #9
iTiki
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Maui, Hawaii
Nikon 10-24 is awesome.
__________________
iMac, MacBook Air, iPhone, iPad, AppleTV
Fuji X-Pro1
Fuji X100
iTiki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2012, 11:40 PM   #10
ChrisA
macrumors G4
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Redondo Beach, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBP13 View Post
I mostly photograph people, trains, buses, cars, etc.

Any more help? I appreciate everyone's replies.
With those subjects I'd want the f/2.8 lens.

Also a 10mm lens is so wide it is hard not to get distortion that really draws attention to itself. You almost need to keep a bubble level on a 10mm lens. I'd buy a 12-24 for your subjects. I think you can find these used.

I also like to use a size extra-small "soft box" that is maybe 12" wide. I see to use that setup with Agfa portrait film. Now with digital I try for that same kind of color with people.
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2012, 09:27 PM   #11
JPM
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Depends on how wide you want to go. I have the Nikon 18-70 but I recently added the Tokina 11-16 to my kit (I have a D80, so a crop sensor like your D5000). I personally really like the super-wide look. Some examples:


Shanghai Skyline by Jeremyfortytwo, on Flickr
(That is not wide-angle distortion - the river bends around the city)


Rigged by Jeremyfortytwo, on Flickr

And a couple more.
JPM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2012, 05:46 PM   #12
iTiki
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Maui, Hawaii
Consider the Nikkor 10.5mm, 2.8 Fisheye and use Fisheye Hemi when you want a super wide view without the fisheye distortion.
__________________
iMac, MacBook Air, iPhone, iPad, AppleTV
Fuji X-Pro1
Fuji X100
iTiki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2012, 05:50 PM   #13
Mr.Noisy
macrumors 65816
 
Mr.Noisy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: UKô
Back before I jumped to full frame Canons, I had a Nikon D90 just for use with my old sigma 10-20mm lens, that lens was my favourite and never came off the D90, it was so nice, it's the only lens I miss, sometimes I feel it was better than my 17-40 f4 canon lens, it's worth checking out, just my thoughts
__________________
Nick - Photographer, Dad and usually the scapegoat
Gear List
Mr.Noisy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 08:35 AM   #14
sl1200mk2
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Knox View Post
I've been really happy with the Tokina 11-16mm on a D7000.
+1

Absolutely love this lens. I use it all the time. I've never used the Nikon wide angle, but read a bunch of comparative reviews before buying (was getting one or the other). So happy with the purchase of it and no regrets at all.

I use it primarily on a D7000 as well, but recently did quite a bit with it on my D40 in manual focus. So much of what I shoot with it is focused all the way out it isn't any issue at all, but really easy in any case.
__________________
15" 2.4Ghz MacBook Pro 4GB RAM; 32GB iPhone 4; 16GB iPad
sl1200mk2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 03:25 PM   #15
skrutzen
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Just understand that with your D5000, you will not be able to autofocus with the Tokina 11-16 as it does not have a focusing motor in the lens body like Nikons AFS lenses. The new Tokina 11-16 will but it has been delayed until September. I have a D5000 also and this was a lens I was interested in until I found out I couldn't AF with it.
skrutzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 05:53 AM   #16
3mj
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Seeking help

Hi everyone

This is my first time at blogging and I am seeking some advice.

I am a student photographer and I am looking at getting a wide angle lens for my D5000. I want something low to mid range price with AF. I have been told that other then Nikon Sigma is also a good brand. I mainly photograph landscape and architecture. I have noticed there has been talk about the 12mm-24mm lens would this be the best one to go with? Can someone please guide me into which direction i should take. As I am a little lost at the moment.

Emma-Jane
3mj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 01:32 PM   #17
nburwell
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: PHL
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBP13 View Post
Hey, everyone!

I'm looking for a great wide angle lens for a Nikon D5000. Right now, I have a 18-55mm, but I'd love to get a wide angle lens that is nicer than the 18-55mm.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help is appreciated!
What is your budget?

If you have deep pockets, you could go with the Nikkor 10-24mm or the 12-24mm. However, if you don't have deep pockets, then you can easily go with the Tokina 11-16mm or 12-24mm lenses.
__________________
13.3" rMBP 2.5GHz l iPhone 5s l iPad rMini l 4G iPod Touch l Apple TV l Nikon
nburwell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:59 PM   #18
logicalways
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
I love the 12-24 for my Crop D3200 and the 14-24 F/2.8 on my D700 but have used the Tokina 11-16mm as well and was quite surprised at how great the shots turned out. Way above my expectations on third party lenses. If you're on a budget you can find a great deal on the Tokina's and you wont be let down. For other people reading this thread, My experience on lens manufactures puts a ranking like this. Again, this is just based on my experience and so everyone else's might be or will be different:

1st choice for my Nikon Cameras are as follows:

1. Nikkor Lenses
2. Tamron
3/4. Tied between Sigma & Tokina

It all depends on your budget and what you shoot. Sometimes you only use a certain lens for 1 type of shot and so it's not worth spending huge bucks to use it once every 6 months so you find a third party lens. Sometimes you spend more because you want better weather sealing and durability but still only use the lens once every 6 months so you spend the money on the more expensive lenses. Or you just have tons of cash and you want to buy all Nikon lens haha it's all about what you shoot, and what your priorities are.
logicalways is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2013, 08:14 AM   #19
3mj
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Budget wise I was looking at $600 max the 12m-24m is the one I am keen on any ideas where I could get it for a good price? I am heading over to Singapore at the end of the month and have been told they have a really good selection of lenses over there as long as I know what I am looking for. Has any one been to Singapore before and purchased a lens if so where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3mj View Post
Hi everyone

This is my first time at blogging and I am seeking some advice.

I am a student photographer and I am looking at getting a wide angle lens for my D5000. I want something low to mid range price with AF. I have been told that other then Nikon Sigma is also a good brand. I mainly photograph landscape and architecture. I have noticed there has been talk about the 12mm-24mm lens would this be the best one to go with? Can someone please guide me into which direction i should take. As I am a little lost at the moment.

Emma-Jane
3mj is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Got a new Canon 70D with 18.135mm kit lens. Is a 35mm 14 L lens a worthy second lens? KimJonNumberUn Digital Photography 36 Mar 3, 2014 12:08 PM
Crop body, funds running low... and desperately need a wide-angle Shacklebolt Digital Photography 8 Mar 27, 2013 07:14 PM
Canon Powershot vs Wide angle lens truettray Digital Photography 13 Feb 22, 2013 10:38 AM
Wide-Angle Lens (and Tripod) Advice JudgeKenny Digital Photography 3 Dec 11, 2012 10:35 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:56 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC