Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bozley0621

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
I'm going back and forth and am hoping somebody will have some insight or thoughts.

I'm debating between a 15 inch non retina MBP and a 13 inch MacBook Air.

I use my laptop to work from home using the Mac Office Suite and Citrix. I also have about 750 GB of movies and songs on my laptop that I watch when traveling, but otherwise stream to the ATV. Recreational use of the computer is limited to finding the end of the world wide web. I'm not a gamer or heavy photo/music editor.

The MacBook Air is appealing due to the light weight for traveling between the east coast and west coast every other month and the zippiness of the SSD. 128 GB of memory would be plenty for work related documents. I would leave my media on my current 2009 MacBook and have it serve only that purpose. My concerns are is this all even worth considering with only a dual core processor against the quad core processor of the MacBook Pro; should I consider upgrading to 8 gigs of RAM; I'm not sure how I feel about the touch of the keys when typing (trivial I know) and how light it feels when using around the house. I would also purchase a thunderbolt display for working in the office most of the time.

The MacBook Pro is appealing due to the quad core processor and the ability to upgrade my own RAM and hard drive. My only concern is the weight for traveling and how zippy the Pro is after trying the Air.

I am against the MacBook Pro with retina display due to no ability to upgrade the RAM and hard drive as my media collection grows. I have the mindset that if I'm springing for the retina display then I want all of my media to reside on the computer. I'm guessing that when I'm ready for a new laptop in 3-5 years that the MBP with retina will be a better contender for my wants and needs by then.

TouchArchive

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
IL
I'm going back and forth and am hoping somebody will have some insight or thoughts.

I'm debating between a 15 inch non retina MBP and a 13 inch MacBook Air.

I use my laptop to work from home using the Mac Office Suite and Citrix. I also have about 750 GB of movies and songs on my laptop that I watch when traveling, but otherwise stream to the ATV. Recreational use of the computer is limited to finding the end of the world wide web. I'm not a gamer or heavy photo/music editor.

The MacBook Air is appealing due to the light weight for traveling between the east coast and west coast every other month and the zippiness of the SSD. 128 GB of memory would be plenty for work related documents. I would leave my media on my current 2009 MacBook and have it serve only that purpose. My concerns are is this all even worth considering with only a dual core processor against the quad core processor of the MacBook Pro; should I consider upgrading to 8 gigs of RAM; I'm not sure how I feel about the touch of the keys when typing (trivial I know) and how light it feels when using around the house. I would also purchase a thunderbolt display for working in the office most of the time.

The MacBook Pro is appealing due to the quad core processor and the ability to upgrade my own RAM and hard drive. My only concern is the weight for traveling and how zippy the Pro is after trying the Air.

I am against the MacBook Pro with retina display due to no ability to upgrade the RAM and hard drive as my media collection grows. I have the mindset that if I'm springing for the retina display then I want all of my media to reside on the computer. I'm guessing that when I'm ready for a new laptop in 3-5 years that the MBP with retina will be a better contender for my wants and needs by then.

For travel only MBA 13',work great not need more.
Use mine every day with internet,files open office documents,work perfect

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
I'm not sure how I feel about the touch of the keys when typing (trivial I know) .

IMHO, unless your Computer usage is limited to using a mouse, this issue is far from trivial.

Anyway, based on what you mention of your needs, the question of dual vs. quad core seems quite trivial. As you are considering an MBA, I'm guessing you have very little need for an optical drive. Thus you could theoretically also ditch the SuperDrive in you MBP, move the HDD into the optibay and install an SSD in stead of the hard drive (I did that, and am mainly satisfied).

Otoh, if you do not always need the whole library, you could get a nice little external 2,5" HDD for your MBA.

Really, the only real crux might be whether you might need a discrete GPU - if not, I'd go for the MBA ...

HTH,

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
It all depends on what you want to do. If you are traveling, then you can't beat the Air. It's stupid light. I love my Air, but if you're gonna be using it as a desktop replacement and do power tasks on it, the more powerful 15inch is pretty damn useful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.