Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
I truly hope that Microsoft will make a good OS, if only to make life easier for the people who know no different. I always have thought that the only way that it would be fixed is with a rebuild from the ground up...

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
Daveway said:
Ooo its our shining moment my friends.

Jim Allchin has admitted to Bill gates that Windows is broken.

Clink

I didn't read the entire thing, but it seems like it is a good thing overall. Maybe this way MS will be able to create a really nice stable system. I have my doubts on the astetics (sp?), but at least if it runs well its a step forward.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i'm still wondering what the reaction to Vista will be... lukewarm is what i am guessing, i dont see people rushing out to get it

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Apple only got a mention. Google on the other hand got some serious press here. Hmmmm.... maybe Apple and google could merge and take over the world ;)

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
At last

I'm glad Microsoft are finally saying what the rest of the world have been saying for years: Windows is a POS.

Also, this "gotta start over from scratch again" will give some time for Apple, Linux, BSD, Google (?) and others to take some marketshare away from Microsoft.

Now, if only Microsoft would just "play nice" with everyone (open formats, non-monopolistic practices, etc), then computing could really enter a new age of wonders(tm). Or something.

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
I liked that article. Happy to see that MS is starting to get onto the right track with its OS. The playing field's going to be pretty interesting in a few years, with Windows getting more stable, and Apple going to intel, although I think that Apple's not set for a happy future if the lines between the two companies blur too much for normal customers.

chatin

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2005
Windows is broken, what I've been saying for a long time.

PlaceofDis said:
Office is better than the OS at least.... :rolleyes:

Also suffers from feature creap or creep (in the case of Balmer and co.)

:eek: :D

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
If MS can do what apple did with OSX i'll love it i'll still like apple more cuz i doubt anything MS can make can equal apple but its worth a shot!

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Whoa whoa whoa!

*insert Brian Potter like excited angry/surprised fit*

Is this Microsoft trying to make us buy Longhorn?

"hey, Windows XP was terrible, sorry guys! we hear ya. so we figured we'd use that and make Vista better"

while true (RE: the learning from mistakes bit) it seems like they are just using some kind of advertising to get people to upgrade when Vista is out. how pathetic! oh man im so glad im done with that crap.

ya know i feel like running over every forum on the interweb and linking to this article. hallelujah! but then us mac users would be seen as being even more smug :rolleyes:

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
raggedjimmi said:
"hey, Windows XP was terrible, sorry guys! we hear ya. so we figured we'd use that and make Vista better"

while true (RE: the learning from mistakes bit) it seems like they are just using some kind of advertising to get people to upgrade when Vista is out. how pathetic! oh man im so glad im done with that crap.

Kinda like those Office ads that they've been doing.

"If you don't use the newest Office, you're a dinosaur."

mcadam

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2004
københavn
Interesting read. I've always wondered why the biggest software company in the world had such difficulties to produce decent software.

ham_man said:
I truly hope that Microsoft will make a good OS, if only to make life easier for the people who know no different. I always have thought that the only way that it would be fixed is with a rebuild from the ground up...

- I'm sorry, but I can't help hoping they'll make a disastrous piece of ****, which will be the drop that makes the 95% of the worlds computer users finally loose their temper, thus opening up the market, not just for apple and linux, but for innovation in general.

Oh, imagine what could happen if MS was no more... erh... sorry, despite the late our, I think I was daydreaming.

A

barneygumble

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2005
Very interesting article, though they had to know that tacking stuff throughout the system was going to hurt them eventually

I particularly liked the part about coding jail, good way to figure out who is writing poor code :D

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
As an Apple lover, what is scary about this article is the beast may be waking up. Just as Apple starts to get a foothold with its OS and people start to migrate to OSX and Apple hardware MS goes through a major change in its corporate culture and becomes more nimble.
Apple's inherent flexibility is one of the reasons its OS is so good. They can add features, do rewrites from the ground up etc and continue to deliver a excellent, stable OS to its users.
It worries me that MS gets this figured out before more people make the switch. It will be difficult for MS to make a wholehearted shift in its philosophy at the same time focusing on mataining its lead. Afterwords, if the shift is successful, MS could emerge as an even more dominant player (if anyone could imagine that)

mcadam

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2004
københavn
raggedjimmi said:
while true (RE: the learning from mistakes bit) it seems like they are just using some kind of advertising to get people to upgrade when Vista is out.

I agree completely. It's a bit a strange article. The way MS seem to be repentant sinners, admitting past faults in a way big companies normally doesn't do.
And at the same time they manage to paint a very rosy picture of the situation now, the brilliant new people and their brilliant new working method and the brilliant product that is coming up. This smells of spin :cool:

A

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
mojohanna said:
As an Apple lover, what is scary about this article is the beast may be waking up. Just as Apple starts to get a foothold with its OS and people start to migrate to OSX and Apple hardware MS goes through a major change in its corporate culture and becomes more nimble.
Apple's inherent flexibility is one of the reasons its OS is so good. They can add features, do rewrites from the ground up etc and continue to deliver a excellent, stable OS to its users.
It worries me that MS gets this figured out before more people make the switch. It will be difficult for MS to make a wholehearted shift in its philosophy at the same time focusing on mataining its lead. Afterwords, if the shift is successful, MS could emerge as an even more dominant player (if anyone could imagine that)
I don't believe a word of it. This "new Microsoft" sounds an awful lot like Windows 95 to me. Remember the Windows that did not require DOS? It was an outright lie. Now Allchin claims that Microsoft has seen the error of its ways and will sin no more. Yet what we have are the remains of Longhorn being rechristened as Windows Vista. In order to do it right, Microsoft would have to scrap its old Windows code and begin anew. Developing new code would be just the beginning. In order for a new Windows to succeed, Microsoft would have to reeducate its third-party developers, OEMs, and user-base. None of this has happened. I know of no plans for it ever to happen. Until it does, Allchin's comments reported in the article are just talk.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
So this is all some huge PR spin. I see

"we sucked all those years up until now, the day we officially stop sucking, welcome to Vista"

mgargan1

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Reston, VA
honestly... this is a great move for Microsoft. They can do pretty much whatever they want, if a product isn't that good, they'll throw money at it.

People already have XP and people will then switch to vista after hearing, "hey we fixed all these problems"

Microsoft is the 800Lb gorilla, and can do pretty much what they want, when they want. For the most part.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.