Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
You can, but it might wear away the oleophobic coating that is on the screen.
If alcohol can wear the coating away it's pretty lame. I've never had an issue using glass cleaner or glasses cleaner to clean my iDevice screens.

[EDIT] Didn't realize it was alcohol/ammonia free. Disregard.

OP, if it's safe for non glass LCD's then it'll definitely be safe for an iDevice.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
If alcohol can wear the coating away it's pretty lame. I've never had an issue using glass cleaner or glasses cleaner to clean my iDevice screens.

I cleaned one of my old iPhones with something ... can't remember, eye glasses cleaner probably, and it created more of a mess than I had. I think it did something to the coating.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I cleaned one of my old iPhones with something ... can't remember, eye glasses cleaner probably, and it created more of a mess than I had. I think it did something to the coating.
That makes sense as they had a really bad coating back then. The stuff nowadays is great and easy to clean. I usually just use my shirt to be honest but I don't have a problem with having micro scratches either.

macking104

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2003
California, USA
I just use a microfiber cloth that can be bought at "Bed, Bath Beyond", Big Lots, dollar stores, etc... if it is a stubborn smudge, a very few drops of water...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.