Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Dec 24, 2012, 08:16 PM   #1
Ascer
macrumors newbie

Which iMac for design work?

I'm looking to get an iMac for designing work in school using Photoshop, InDesign and maybe some light video editing work. I'm torn between two models, the screen size is not really a deciding factor for me.

Which config will be more suitable : 21.5 inch NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 512MB or the 27 inch NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M with 512MB and is a Fusion Drive is needed? What do you think?

Last edited by Ascer; Dec 24, 2012 at 08:24 PM.
Ascer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 08:28 PM   #2
turtlez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascer View Post
I'm looking to get an iMac for designing work in school using Photoshop, InDesign and maybe some light video editing work. I'm torn between two models, the screen size is not really a deciding factor for me.

Which config will be more suitable : 21.5 inch NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 512MB or the 27 inch NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M with 512MB and is a Fusion Drive is needed? What do you think?
well in the future indesign will support multicore (CS7) so you might wanna get the i7 which is only available in the 27". 27" display is amazing for indesign to view 2 up at 100%. Photoshop does support GPU stuff but the 680 is overkill for that. Fusion drive would be great for Indesign.

I personally max out the iMac so I only have to replace it (with the screen) every 5-6 years instead of replacing the computer with a screen every 2-3. Pay more now, save more later kind of thing. Oh and video work will love your i7 to bits as well.
turtlez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 08:50 PM   #3
Ascer
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlez View Post
well in the future indesign will support multicore (CS7) so you might wanna get the i7 which is only available in the 27". 27" display is amazing for indesign to view 2 up at 100%. Photoshop does support GPU stuff but the 680 is overkill for that. Fusion drive would be great for Indesign.

I personally max out the iMac so I only have to replace it (with the screen) every 5-6 years instead of replacing the computer with a screen every 2-3. Pay more now, save more later kind of thing. Oh and video work will love your i7 to bits as well.

^Video editing is not really my priority as im only doing light, more for Photoshop and InDesign. I'm looking to max out everything obviously as I'm a still student. But i'm asking which is better/sufficient? Especially for the case of the two different GPUs.

How is Fusion Drive good for inDesign?
Ascer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:01 PM   #4
mchoffa
macrumors 6502

I'm very happy with my i7, 680MX and 32GB of ram in my 27" for design and light video work

for design, in my opinion, 27" is a must, and I actually think dual monitors or more is a must. I've gotta have everything visible on screen at once when doing any design work and can't imagine going back to one smaller screen. Now that I've got the 27" iMac + 27" thunderbolt display + 25" monitor I'm quite happy with my setup, but that might be overkill for you
mchoffa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:07 PM   #5
Icaras
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlez View Post
well in the future indesign will support multicore (CS7) so you might wanna get the i7 which is only available in the 27".
Incorrect. The core i7 is available on the high end 21.5" as well.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac