Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 24, 2012, 07:58 PM   #1
brendangibson
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Hohhot, Inner Mongolia, China
Send a message via Skype™ to brendangibson
Unhappy Is this a new iPad?

I bought my gf a new iPad for Christmas. I got it from a local Apple shop. I searched the serial number at http://www.chipmunk.nl/cgi-fast/applemodel.cgi and it says it's an iPad3, which i wanted. However, the iPad i purchased for her does not have lightning. What's up??
brendangibson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 08:00 PM   #2
SnowLeopard OSX
macrumors 6502a
 
SnowLeopard OSX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendangibson View Post
I bought my gf a new iPad for Christmas. I got it from a local Apple shop. I searched the serial number at http://www.chipmunk.nl/cgi-fast/applemodel.cgi and it says it's an iPad3, which i wanted. However, the iPad i purchased for her does not have lightning. What's up??
If it doesn't have a lightning port, it's definitely not the new iPad. If it has a 30 pin dock connector, then it's the iPad 3.
__________________
iPad |4th gen Black/ 32GB/ iOS 8.0
iMac |G4 1.0 GHz/ 1.25 GHz PPCG4 (7445)
iPod |Classic Black/ 80GB|U2 edition 20GB
iPhone |4S White/16GB/ iOS 7.0|3G White/16GB iOS 8.0
SnowLeopard OSX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 08:01 PM   #3
iwan073
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Holland
The iPad 3 doesn't have the lightning connector, the iPad 4 does.
__________________
 21.5" iMac Intel Core i5 @ 2.5GHz, 12GB RAM, 500GB HDD
 iPhone 5S 16GB Silver
 iPad Air Wi-Fi 16GB Silver
iwan073 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:08 PM   #4
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
This is why apple should redesign Ipad 5. Ipad 2, 3, 4 are so similiar, the boxes even look alike. If people who dont follow technology buy them, they couldn't even tell.
raccoonboy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:01 AM   #5
iLLUMI
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendangibson View Post
I bought my gf a new iPad for Christmas. I got it from a local Apple shop. I searched the serial number at http://www.chipmunk.nl/cgi-fast/applemodel.cgi and it says it's an iPad3, which i wanted. However, the iPad i purchased for her does not have lightning. What's up??
That chipmunk website is highly inaccurate.

If you want to be sure you're getting an iPad 4 prior to purchasing it from a store, get the model number off the box and check it here: http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...pad-specs.html
iLLUMI is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:21 AM   #6
syd430
Guest
 
His confusion is coming from the term "new ipad". The 3rd gen was never called the "new ipad" as many seem to believe. It's just how it was introduced in the context of the previous gen. The "new ipad" is now the 4th gen. You wanted the 4th gen but you bought the old one.

Last edited by syd430; Dec 25, 2012 at 12:33 AM.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:24 AM   #7
irDigital0l
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by syd430 View Post
His confusion is coming from the term "new ipad". The 3rd gen was never called the "new ipad" as many seem to believe. It's just how it was introduced in the context of the keynote. The "new ipad" is now the 4th gen.
Umm...on the Apple website, it even called it The new iPad.

Used to able to compare iPad models and there was The new iPad and the iPad 2.
irDigital0l is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:28 AM   #8
syd430
Guest
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
Umm...on the Apple website, it even called it The new iPad.

Used to able to compare iPad models and there was The new iPad and the iPad 2.
"New ipad" in the context of the old one. The products name is "ipad (3rd generation)", which is what you saw in the checkout.

The confusion is a result of Apple vastly over estimating the common sense of everyday joe's like yourself, and is the reason why they changed the 4th gen to "ipad with retina display".

Last edited by syd430; Dec 25, 2012 at 12:34 AM.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:32 AM   #9
irDigital0l
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by syd430 View Post
"New ipad" in the context of the old one. The products name is "ipad (3rd generation)", which is what you saw in the checkout.

The confusion is a result of Apple vastly over estimating the common sense of everyday joes like yourself.
"The new iPad" was just a terrible idea.

Should have just called it "iPad with Retina display".

Although its obvious of the differences (lightening connector), regular consumers are going to get confused.

Maybe Apple should add a generation # on the back of iPads like the other logos and text on the back.
irDigital0l is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 01:54 AM   #10
ScottNWDW
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Orlando, Florida
Send a message via MSN to ScottNWDW
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendangibson View Post
I bought my gf a new iPad for Christmas. I got it from a local Apple shop. I searched the serial number at http://www.chipmunk.nl/cgi-fast/applemodel.cgi and it says it's an iPad3, which i wanted. However, the iPad i purchased for her does not have lightning. What's up??
You got what you paid for, A new iPad, the iPad 3. You even state that what you wanted was the iPad 3 iPad 3 had the retina display, with the 30-pin connector. The iPad 4 is called iPad with Retina Display, it is the one with the lightning connector.

iPad 1 was called simply "iPad"
iPad 2 was called 'iPad 2"
iPad 3 was called "New iPad"
iPad 4 is called "iPad with Retina Display"
iPad mini is called "iPad mini"
__________________
Scott
iMac, MacBook Pro, iPhone 5, iPad Retina Mini WiFi+Cell, iPad 4 WiFi+Cell, iPod Classic, Apple TV
ScottNWDW is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 02:45 AM   #11
dinggus
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
iPad 3 had retina display? Lol.
dinggus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:08 AM   #12
RevTEG
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: San Jose, Ca
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinggus View Post
iPad 3 had retina display? Lol.
Not sure what you mean but yes.. The ipad 3 has a retina display.
RevTEG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:32 AM   #13
dinggus
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevTEG View Post
Not sure what you mean but yes.. The ipad 3 has a retina display.
I was just going off the names posted above. Apple needs to get more creative with names if their not going with the numbers anymore. Because selling the iPad with Retina (iPad 4) sounds to me like they are trying to say the new iPad doesn't have retina.
dinggus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 05:05 AM   #14
MrGimper
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Basingstoke, UK
If you think that's bad, the iPhone 5 is neither the 5th iphone (it's the 6th), or the 5th "style" or gen of iPhone (there are 3: original, 3G and 3GS are style 1. 4 and 4s are style 2. 5 is style 3)
MrGimper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 05:36 AM   #15
iLondoner
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: London (the big one, not London Ohio, Texas, Kentucky, etc)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinggus View Post
iPad 3 had retina display? Lol.
Er... yes.
iLondoner is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 08:16 AM   #16
Defender2010
macrumors 68000
 
Defender2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGimper View Post
If you think that's bad, the iPhone 5 is neither the 5th iphone (it's the 6th), or the 5th "style" or gen of iPhone (there are 3: original, 3G and 3GS are style 1. 4 and 4s are style 2. 5 is style 3)
The original and the 3G/3GS are not the same style, one was made of aluminium and not curved on the back, does that not represent a "style" difference?
__________________
W2P KLD talking...what's your handle, WR2 GFO?
Defender2010 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 09:58 AM   #17
Moe2005
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottNWDW View Post
You got what you paid for, A new iPad, the iPad 3. You even state that what you wanted was the iPad 3 iPad 3 had the retina display, with the 30-pin connector. The iPad 4 is called iPad with Retina Display, it is the one with the lightning connector.

iPad 1 was called simply "iPad"
iPad 2 was called 'iPad 2"
iPad 3 was called "New iPad"
iPad 4 is called "iPad with Retina Display"
iPad mini is called "iPad mini"
iPad 3 was not "The new iPad". It was simply the new iPad (3rd generation). "The New" is not part of the name.
Moe2005 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 10:03 AM   #18
tymaster50
macrumors 68030
 
tymaster50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Jersey
A 2 second google search could have wielded the answer lmao. You wanted an ipad 3 and you got it
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 01:14 PM   #19
MrGimper
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender2010 View Post
The original and the 3G/3GS are not the same style, one was made of aluminium and not curved on the back, does that not represent a "style" difference?
Ok, so the iphone 5 is the 4th style then.
MrGimper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 01:15 PM   #20
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottNWDW View Post
You got what you paid for, A new iPad, the iPad 3. You even state that what you wanted was the iPad 3 iPad 3 had the retina display, with the 30-pin connector. The iPad 4 is called iPad with Retina Display, it is the one with the lightning connector.

iPad 1 was called simply "iPad"
iPad 2 was called 'iPad 2"
iPad 3 was called "New iPad"
iPad 4 is called "iPad with Retina Display"
iPad mini is called "iPad mini"
iPad (1) was called "iPad", but heavily advertised as the "Apple iPad"

iPad 2 was called "iPad 2"

iPad 3 was called "iPad" (the "The new"-part was just because it was new, compare it to: The new BMW. The new Samsung Galaxy S (currently: Galaxy S III). The new iPhone (currently: iPhone 5)). It's not like they gave it the actual name "The new iPad". They advertised it as the new "iPad".

iPad 4 was called "iPad" (advertised with: "with Retina display"). Currently, there are people who just call this one the new iPad. And next year, when the iPad 5 is released, they will call the iPad 5 the new iPad. Why? Because it'll be new!

iPad mini is called "iPad mini"
ThatsMeRight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 01:16 PM   #21
MrGimper
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe2005 View Post
iPad 3 was not "The new iPad". It was simply the new iPad (3rd generation). "The New" is not part of the name.
Well Tim Cook referred to it as the new iPad, the slides said the new iPad, the apple store referred to it as the new iPad, and all the other shops referred to it as the new iPad.
MrGimper is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 01:30 PM   #22
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGimper View Post
Well Tim Cook referred to it as the new iPad, the slides said the new iPad, the apple store referred to it as the new iPad, and all the other shops referred to it as the new iPad.
Yep, because it was new. That doesn't mean that it is an actual part of the name.

Let's say you upgrade from an iPhone 4S to an iPhone 5 and you say to someone: "Hey, I got the new iPhone 5!", than you're obviously talking about the "iPhone 5" and not about a product that has the name: "The new iPhone 5!"

Also, when they introduced the iPad 2 they were also talking about the new iPad. Idem dito for the iPad 4.
ThatsMeRight is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 01:45 PM   #23
MrGimper
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsMeRight View Post
Yep, because it was new. That doesn't mean that it is an actual part of the name.

Let's say you upgrade from an iPhone 4S to an iPhone 5 and you say to someone: "Hey, I got the new iPhone 5!", than you're obviously talking about the "iPhone 5" and not about a product that has the name: "The new iPhone 5!"

Also, when they introduced the iPad 2 they were also talking about the new iPad. Idem dito for the iPad 4.
On the apple site the iPad 2 was referred to as the iPad 2. The iPad 3rd Gen was referred to as the New iPad. I'm referring to Apples naming, not what people on the street call it.
__________________
iP6+ 128 Silver | iPad Air2 128 Silver 4G | iPad rMini 128 4G White | Early 2011 MB Pro i7 2.2/16GB 15" Hi-Res Glossy | Mid 2012 MB Air 13" i7 2.0/8GB/512GB | Late 2012 iMac 27" i7 3.4/32GB/1TB Fusion
MrGimper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 02:55 PM   #24
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGimper View Post
On the apple site the iPad 2 was referred to as the iPad 2. The iPad 3rd Gen was referred to as the New iPad. I'm referring to Apples naming, not what people on the street call it.
No it was called "iPad". The new model of iPad. "The new iPad".

Tim Cook also talked about "The new iPhone 5" in his interview, but the name is still "iPhone 5", but since the device is NEW he called it "The new iPhone 5"
ThatsMeRight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:05 PM   #25
MrGimper
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsMeRight View Post
No it was called "iPad". The new model of iPad. "The new iPad".

Tim Cook also talked about "The new iPhone 5" in his interview, but the name is still "iPhone 5", but since the device is NEW he called it "The new iPhone 5"
The product was called iphone 5. On the apple site it was called iphone 5. At the keynote it was called iphone 5. On the slides it was called iphone 5. The iPad 3rd gen was called "The New iPad". It's quite simple really. I'm referring to the names apple used to refer to the devices. It's obvious they would call a particular device "new" when referring to it in conversation as it was, erm, new.
MrGimper is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple Launching Updated iPad Air in 2014, No 12.9-Inch iPad or New iPad Mini Until 2015 MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 209 Jul 15, 2014 09:33 AM
All iPads: Upgrade from 3rd iPad to iPad Air, new iPad mini or wait for next iPads? Sven11 iPad 32 Oct 23, 2013 02:55 PM
Apple Drops Refurbished iPad Prices, iPad Mini Now Available for $249, iPad 4 for $379 MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 16 Oct 23, 2013 09:53 AM
iPad Mini: iPad 5 And Retina iPad Mini Will Be Announced October 22. 13" iPad Maxi In The Works. vmaniqui iPad 1 Oct 9, 2013 03:51 PM
Trouble deciding: iPad mini vs iPad 2 vs Retina iPad? Do NOT get an iPad 2. ThatsMeRight iPad 27 Oct 28, 2012 02:26 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:13 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC