Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
I bought my gf a new iPad for Christmas. I got it from a local Apple shop. I searched the serial number at http://www.chipmunk.nl/cgi-fast/applemodel.cgi and it says it's an iPad3, which i wanted. However, the iPad i purchased for her does not have lightning. What's up??

If it doesn't have a lightning port, it's definitely not the new iPad. If it has a 30 pin dock connector, then it's the iPad 3.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
This is why apple should redesign Ipad 5. Ipad 2, 3, 4 are so similiar, the boxes even look alike. If people who dont follow technology buy them, they couldn't even tell.

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012
I bought my gf a new iPad for Christmas. I got it from a local Apple shop. I searched the serial number at http://www.chipmunk.nl/cgi-fast/applemodel.cgi and it says it's an iPad3, which i wanted. However, the iPad i purchased for her does not have lightning. What's up??

That chipmunk website is highly inaccurate.

If you want to be sure you're getting an iPad 4 prior to purchasing it from a store, get the model number off the box and check it here: http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/ipad/index-ipad-specs.html

S

syd430

His confusion is coming from the term "new ipad". The 3rd gen was never called the "new ipad" as many seem to believe. It's just how it was introduced in the context of the previous gen. The "new ipad" is now the 4th gen. You wanted the 4th gen but you bought the old one.

Last edited by a moderator:

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
His confusion is coming from the term "new ipad". The 3rd gen was never called the "new ipad" as many seem to believe. It's just how it was introduced in the context of the keynote. The "new ipad" is now the 4th gen.

Umm...on the Apple website, it even called it The new iPad.

Used to able to compare iPad models and there was The new iPad and the iPad 2.

S

syd430

Umm...on the Apple website, it even called it The new iPad.

Used to able to compare iPad models and there was The new iPad and the iPad 2.

"New ipad" in the context of the old one. The products name is "ipad (3rd generation)", which is what you saw in the checkout.

The confusion is a result of Apple vastly over estimating the common sense of everyday joe's like yourself, and is the reason why they changed the 4th gen to "ipad with retina display".

Last edited by a moderator:

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
"New ipad" in the context of the old one. The products name is "ipad (3rd generation)", which is what you saw in the checkout.

The confusion is a result of Apple vastly over estimating the common sense of everyday joes like yourself.

"The new iPad" was just a terrible idea.

Should have just called it "iPad with Retina display".

Although its obvious of the differences (lightening connector), regular consumers are going to get confused.

Maybe Apple should add a generation # on the back of iPads like the other logos and text on the back.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida

You got what you paid for, A new iPad, the iPad 3. You even state that what you wanted was the iPad 3 iPad 3 had the retina display, with the 30-pin connector. The iPad 4 is called iPad with Retina Display, it is the one with the lightning connector.

iPad 1 was called simply "iPad"
iPad 2 was called 'iPad 2"
iPad 3 was called "New iPad"
iPad 4 is called "iPad with Retina Display"
iPad mini is called "iPad mini"

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
Not sure what you mean but yes.. The ipad 3 has a retina display.

I was just going off the names posted above. Apple needs to get more creative with names if their not going with the numbers anymore. Because selling the iPad with Retina (iPad 4) sounds to me like they are trying to say the new iPad doesn't have retina.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
If you think that's bad, the iPhone 5 is neither the 5th iphone (it's the 6th), or the 5th "style" or gen of iPhone (there are 3: original, 3G and 3GS are style 1. 4 and 4s are style 2. 5 is style 3)

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
If you think that's bad, the iPhone 5 is neither the 5th iphone (it's the 6th), or the 5th "style" or gen of iPhone (there are 3: original, 3G and 3GS are style 1. 4 and 4s are style 2. 5 is style 3)

The original and the 3G/3GS are not the same style, one was made of aluminium and not curved on the back, does that not represent a "style" difference?

Moe2005

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2012
You got what you paid for, A new iPad, the iPad 3. You even state that what you wanted was the iPad 3 iPad 3 had the retina display, with the 30-pin connector. The iPad 4 is called iPad with Retina Display, it is the one with the lightning connector.

iPad 3 was not "The new iPad". It was simply the new iPad (3rd generation). "The New" is not part of the name.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009

iPad (1) was called "iPad", but heavily advertised as the "Apple iPad"

iPad 2 was called "iPad 2"

iPad 3 was called "iPad" (the "The new"-part was just because it was new, compare it to: The new BMW. The new Samsung Galaxy S (currently: Galaxy S III). The new iPhone (currently: iPhone 5)). It's not like they gave it the actual name "The new iPad". They advertised it as the new "iPad".

iPad 4 was called "iPad" (advertised with: "with Retina display"). Currently, there are people who just call this one the new iPad. And next year, when the iPad 5 is released, they will call the iPad 5 the new iPad. Why? Because it'll be new!

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
iPad 3 was not "The new iPad". It was simply the new iPad (3rd generation). "The New" is not part of the name.

Well Tim Cook referred to it as the new iPad, the slides said the new iPad, the apple store referred to it as the new iPad, and all the other shops referred to it as the new iPad.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Well Tim Cook referred to it as the new iPad, the slides said the new iPad, the apple store referred to it as the new iPad, and all the other shops referred to it as the new iPad.
Yep, because it was new. That doesn't mean that it is an actual part of the name.

Let's say you upgrade from an iPhone 4S to an iPhone 5 and you say to someone: "Hey, I got the new iPhone 5!", than you're obviously talking about the "iPhone 5" and not about a product that has the name: "The new iPhone 5!"

Also, when they introduced the iPad 2 they were also talking about the new iPad. Idem dito for the iPad 4.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Yep, because it was new. That doesn't mean that it is an actual part of the name.

Let's say you upgrade from an iPhone 4S to an iPhone 5 and you say to someone: "Hey, I got the new iPhone 5!", than you're obviously talking about the "iPhone 5" and not about a product that has the name: "The new iPhone 5!"

Also, when they introduced the iPad 2 they were also talking about the new iPad. Idem dito for the iPad 4.

On the apple site the iPad 2 was referred to as the iPad 2. The iPad 3rd Gen was referred to as the New iPad. I'm referring to Apples naming, not what people on the street call it.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
On the apple site the iPad 2 was referred to as the iPad 2. The iPad 3rd Gen was referred to as the New iPad. I'm referring to Apples naming, not what people on the street call it.
No it was called "iPad". The new model of iPad. "The new iPad".

Tim Cook also talked about "The new iPhone 5" in his interview, but the name is still "iPhone 5", but since the device is NEW he called it "The new iPhone 5"

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
No it was called "iPad". The new model of iPad. "The new iPad".

Tim Cook also talked about "The new iPhone 5" in his interview, but the name is still "iPhone 5", but since the device is NEW he called it "The new iPhone 5"

The product was called iphone 5. On the apple site it was called iphone 5. At the keynote it was called iphone 5. On the slides it was called iphone 5. The iPad 3rd gen was called "The New iPad". It's quite simple really. I'm referring to the names apple used to refer to the devices. It's obvious they would call a particular device "new" when referring to it in conversation as it was, erm, new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.