Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theturtle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
Sorry in advance if this isn't in the proper section.

I've recently bought a sony bravia from a friend. Unfortunately the speakers really suck. I have a spare HK soundsticks II laying around my house and figured I might as well hook it up.

The bravia has a audio in on the back of the tv. When i plug in the soundsticks, no sound seems to come out. I went through the menu, went to sound, and chose "audio system" instead of "tv speakers" but i can't seem to get the sound to come in.

The youtube videos i saw said that i would need a RCA adapter but unlike the videos, my TV already has an audio in port. Should i still buy the adapter regardless? I dont see any other option when no sound is coming out when i plug it up through the audio in.

If it makes any difference, i have a fios dvr.

duneriderltr450

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Oregon
Do you mean audio out? You need to hook it to the audio out to make the sound come out your speakers. What kind of plug is on the speakers? Is it just a head phone jack?

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Sorry in advance if this isn't in the proper section.

I've recently bought a sony bravia from a friend. Unfortunately the speakers really suck. I have a spare HK soundsticks II laying around my house and figured I might as well hook it up.

The bravia has a audio in on the back of the tv. When i plug in the soundsticks, no sound seems to come out. I went through the menu, went to sound, and chose "audio system" instead of "tv speakers" but i can't seem to get the sound to come in.

The youtube videos i saw said that i would need a RCA adapter but unlike the videos, my TV already has an audio in port. Should i still buy the adapter regardless? I dont see any other option when no sound is coming out when i plug it up through the audio in.

If it makes any difference, i have a fios dvr.

Audio In is input. As in from a device to the TV. You need to use the Audio Out. You will likely need the adapter.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
The bravia has a audio in on the back of the tv. When i plug in the soundsticks, no sound seems to come out.

No sound is coming out, because you are plugging into "Audio In". Audio In is to bring audio IN to the TV, not spit it out to speakers. Look for "Audio Out". That sends audio OUT to speakers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.