Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:56 PM   #1
Cogmate
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Maryland
iPhoto question

New to iPhoto.

I've created my 1st Library.

Now preparing to import additional photos, and create my 2nd Library.

Once the 2nd Library is created, how can I move photos (events, folders, albums) back & forth from one Library to another?

Thanks in advance.
Cogmate is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:19 AM   #2
JediMeister
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
iPhoto only supports accessing a single iPhoto Library at a time. You must quit and relaunch iPhoto holding the option key to switch from one library to another. There is no direct exporting to another library. Only exporting, switching to the other library and importing the exported event or album. Source
JediMeister is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:30 AM   #3
Cogmate
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Maryland
Quote:
iPhoto only supports accessing a single iPhoto Library at a time. You must quit and relaunch iPhoto holding the option key to switch from one library to another. There is no direct exporting to another library. Only exporting, switching to the other library and importing the exported event or album. Source
Accurate answer / thanks.
Cogmate is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:45 AM   #4
Cogmate
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Maryland
Another Question ...

When you hold down the Option key, and click iPhoto - it opens the Library inventory box.

The Original and 1st Library is named: iPhoto Library

How can I change its name to something more personal - like: iPhoto Library - Motorcycles

Last edited by Cogmate; Dec 25, 2012 at 12:55 AM.
Cogmate is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 01:24 AM   #5
dakwar
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogmate View Post
Another Question ...

When you hold down the Option key, and click iPhoto - it opens the Library inventory box.

The Original and 1st Library is named: iPhoto Library

How can I change its name to something more personal - like: iPhoto Library - Motorcycles
Go into /Users/{your user name}/Pictures. All your iPhoto libraries will be listed there (unless you changed their default location). You can rename them from there as you please.
dakwar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 01:37 AM   #6
Cogmate
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Maryland
Quote:
Go into /Users/{your user name}/Pictures. All your iPhoto libraries will be listed there (unless you changed their default location). You can rename them from there as you please.
Pictures > Library > Get Info
In the Get Info drop down box there was a place to change the name.

Thanks for guiding me there.
Cogmate is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 07:26 AM   #7
Dave Braine
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Warrington, UK
Why do you want separate libraries? Why not import into the one library and then create Albums for different subjects?
Dave Braine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 07:42 AM   #8
Cogmate
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Maryland
Quote:
Why do you want separate libraries? Why not import into the one library and then create Albums for different subjects?
I have created many Folders & Albums in my Library.
But because of the sheer size of the Library, it becomes unwieldy to navigate.

Additional Libraries make re-organizing other larger themes and collections much easier.
Cogmate is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhoto question AppleRyan Mac Applications and Mac App Store 1 Mar 11, 2014 03:20 PM
iPhoto question ultra7k Mac Applications and Mac App Store 4 Nov 25, 2013 11:16 AM
Question regarding Iphoto. codysanborn Mac Applications and Mac App Store 1 Aug 3, 2013 10:21 AM
iPhoto question. barbz41086 Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 Aug 11, 2012 06:51 PM
Optibay and iPhoto Question (Specify different location for iPhoto library) A4orce84 MacBook Pro 2 Jun 3, 2012 06:27 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:28 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC