Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Forerunner

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 24, 2012
California
Hi all,

My rMBP 15" (2.6Ghz, 256GB SSD, 16GB RAM) is scheduled to arrive at my local Apple store this Friday for pick-up. I plan on performing a few tests in-store to make sure the machine functions properly.

Marco Arment's image retention test (link)
Jason Farrell's dead pixel test (link)
Check display manufacturer via Terminal (I know not all LG panels have IR, etc.)

Is there anything else I should check while I'm in the Apple Store? I'd rather spot potential problems when I'm feet away from a Genius than do so at home.

Thanks in advance,
Forerunner

EDIT: Say, for example, that the rMBP has a glaring issue (IR, light leak, dead pixels, etc.), can the Apple Store replace the display themselves or do they ship it out for repair?

Last edited:

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
You have 14 (I think it's 30 now?) days to return it.

Just take it home, enjoy it and don't be too picky.

And this is coming from a guy who checks for dust behind cabinets in hotel rooms.

Feed Me

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Location Location
Don't forget the water resistance test!

But seriously, unless perhaps the Apple store is a very long drive away, I'd just take it home and do the tests through normal usage of your laptop.

shansoft

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2011
You have 14 (I think it's 30 now?) days to return it.

Just take it home, enjoy it and don't be too picky.

And this is coming from a guy who checks for dust behind cabinets in hotel rooms.

it's a $2500 laptop.... and its very reasonable for people to have high expectation on it...

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
Is this what Apple products have come to? We have to do so many tests for who is the supplier of components, before making a purchase.

MacRumor a day might just keep the Apple away.

Last edited:

Forerunner

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 24, 2012
California
Is this what Apple products have come to? We have to do so many tests for who is the supplier of components, before making a purchase.

When you are spending $2700+ on a laptop, the machine needs to work properly. Sure, image retention doesn't mean much to the average consumer, but when you're doing image processing or video editing for hours at a time, these issues are a much bigger deal.

With the retina display, Apple is making a bold move. There are thousands of owners of rMBPs that are undoubtedly plagued with image retention issues and unbearable lag. I don't want to be one of them.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
When you are spending $2700+ on a laptop, the machine needs to work properly. Sure, image retention doesn't mean much to the average consumer, but when you're doing image processing or video editing for hours at a time, these issues are a much bigger deal.

With the retina display, Apple is making a bold move. There are thousands of owners of rMBPs that are undoubtedly plagued with image retention issues and unbearable lag. I don't want to be one of them.

I am not in any way implying that we are being too nit picky. Just lamenting the fact that so many variations in the parts and the enlightenment of those factors in forums like these that make the purchasing decision harder.

Trust me, I got an MBA and went through the whole LG vs Samsung drama myself and now I have both of them. Have to return one of them and am still deciding which goes back.

You are right on about paying premium dollars for the product and our expectations for the same.

aaagat111

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I agree with the OP, if he wants to run those tests, hey you are spending the money buying it - you can hold the product to any expectation you want.

Personally I just bought a rMBP a few weeks ago and did a similar series of tests. Now I wouldn't have necessarily returned the machine if I found out it had an LG screen, but I wanted to know.

The only thing I would say is, and I am sure you know, if you return it because it doesn't pass your standards, there is no guarantee the next machine you get will be perfect either.

Goodluck! This machine is awesome!

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
it's a $2500 laptop.... and its very reasonable for people to have high expectation on it...

It's a $2,000 TV, let's take it out of the box in the store and test it in front of the cash register.

----------

I highly doubt you have the eye to tell the difference between the LCD panels.

Livewings

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
Hi all,

My rMBP 15" (2.6Ghz, 256GB SSD, 16GB RAM) is scheduled to arrive at my local Apple store this Friday for pick-up. I plan on performing a few tests in-store to make sure the machine functions properly.

Marco Arment's image retention test (link)
Jason Farrell's dead pixel test (link)
Check display manufacturer via Terminal (I know not all LG panels have IR, etc.)

Is there anything else I should check while I'm in the Apple Store? I'd rather spot potential problems when I'm feet away from a Genius than do so at home.

Thanks in advance,
Forerunner

EDIT: Say, for example, that the rMBP has a glaring issue (IR, light leak, dead pixels, etc.), can the Apple Store replace the display themselves or do they ship it out for repair?

You should do a drop test. :rolleyes:

shansoft

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2011
It's a $2,000 TV, let's take it out of the box in the store and test it in front of the cash register.

I bought ASUS PB27Q monitor at Fry's awhile ago, the first one have horrible back light bleed. I went ahead and exchange a new one there, and ask if I can check the replacement at the store, they let me do it. It turns out the second monitor have a slight damaged panel, so I ask them to replace it immediately and check again. The third one I got is finally a good one.

I know $700 dollar is nothing, but I do expect what I paid to be what it should be. If I asked if I can open in the store, it would be my rights to do so since it's technically mine already. Just to check to see if there is any problem with it so I can have a exchange immediately instead coming back again. Especially paying $2500, I do have high expectation to have some quality control on it.

PS: I am not saying we should do it in front of cashier of course, which it should have been done with customer support side instead.

Forerunner

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 24, 2012
California
PS: I am not saying we should do it in front of cashier of course, which it should have been done with customer support side instead.

The Apple store offers to "help you set up your new Mac," so I plan on taking advantage of this to point out any issues to the employee (if there are any).

JustHere155

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2012
Hey,

Call me crazy. I would also check scratches on the computer itself. I know it's small issue, but don't forget you are paying a lot of money. I would recommend you do the standard benchmark test while you are there.

Cheers!

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
I agree with the Original Poster (unless he's willing to return the machine based solely in the display's manufacturer).

It should be much easier to resolve issues if the MBP has never left the store.

Forerunner

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 24, 2012
California
The employee has no idea what's coming... lol

Poor thing. He thinks Doomsday has passed...

----------

Call me crazy. I would also check scratches on the computer itself. I know it's small issue, but don't forget you are paying a lot of money. I would recommend you do the standard benchmark test while you are there.

Should I do the water-resistance test before or after the drop test?

----------

Can you record this ? :D

Unfortunately, MacRumors doesn't have a NSFW tag.

Forerunner

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 24, 2012
California
I agree with the Original Poster (unless he's willing to return the machine based solely in the display's manufacturer).

I never said I would return the laptop if it was an LG screen, etc.

But knowing the manufacturer is useful, especially if the machine exhibits IR, light-leak, etc.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
I bought ASUS PB27Q monitor at Fry's awhile ago, the first one have horrible back light bleed. I went ahead and exchange a new one there, and ask if I can check the replacement at the store, they let me do it. It turns out the second monitor have a slight damaged panel, so I ask them to replace it immediately and check again. The third one I got is finally a good one.

I know $700 dollar is nothing, but I do expect what I paid to be what it should be. If I asked if I can open in the store, it would be my rights to do so since it's technically mine already. Just to check to see if there is any problem with it so I can have a exchange immediately instead coming back again. Especially paying $2500, I do have high expectation to have some quality control on it.

#1 Asus is not the best company to compare to Apple. I like Asus, but they're crap when it comes to quality assurance.
#2 $700 is a lot of money. So is $2,500. I make a good living, but these are definitely a lot of money.
#3 I have high expectations as well, even higher than you, but it is a computer and it will be fine. This is why there are exchange/return policies. Apple is great when it comes to returns, no restocking fees (they used to have it.)

So in other words, buy it, take it home, open it and see how it is. Don't get too picky. The people who have "problems" with the rMBP's are a very small minority and it is rather an anomaly.

Purchase it, use it, take care of it, abuse it, keep it or sell it. It's just a product. Get the most out of it, don't be too picky.

Matter of fact, I hate the yellow glow around the 23" Apple Cinema Displays (the old Aluminium ones) but I still use it and got over the fact.

----------

no one will mind if you take 2 minutes to review ur new item in store

I think it would be much nicer to be a bit more diplomatic and ask the person who sold it to you to help open the box and "set it up for you." In this case, if you notice any of your so called "light leaks" you can call it out and get a new one.

But yeesh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.