Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:50 AM   #1
MrMister111
macrumors 65816

iMessage setup

We've just got the kids iPad minis. I have an iPad 2 and an iMac, my daughter also has an iPhone 4.

When I setup the iPhone 4 for her, I used my ITunes ID so all the apps I bought would work on her iPhone. Great.

But now on the iPad mini's I want to use the same iTunes ID so again they can use the apps I've bought. But with iMessage how will this work? Ideally I'd like the daughters iPhone 4 and iPad mini to work separate, sons ipad mini separate, and my iPad 2 separate. Is this possible so we can iMessage each other using just my iTunes ID so we can all share apps?

Cheers
MrMister111 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 06:27 AM   #2
EDH667
macrumors 6502a

Use your apple ID for iTunes and the App Store on all devices in order to share your purchased music and apps. Create new apple ID's so each can use iMessage, FaceTime, mail, etc. independently and use those ID's when signing into the iCloud settings, iMessage and FaceTime.
EDH667 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 10:14 AM   #3
dinggus
Banned

Isn't the whole point to iMessage is that all devices are connected?
dinggus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 10:28 AM   #4
mantan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinggus View Post
Isn't the whole point to iMessage is that all devices are connected?
All devices are connected for the same user. But lots of families share one Apple ID for iTunes with separate ID's for their own devices.

I think the 'all devices' thing only makes sense when it's a single user using multiple devices. Even then it seems like it could be a bigger headache than it's worth. A buddy linked his iMessage from his phone to his iPad. His brother wrote him a text (which he logically assumed was private) ranting about his wife that his kid saw when playing with the iPad. Needless to say that was the end of connected devices for him.
mantan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 02:25 PM   #5
1rottenapple
macrumors 65816

You can create a new iMessage email ID in the settings section of the messaging app. Assign that to each devices email.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad