Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

92jlee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2009
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Well lets see how many people are on here Christmas day ignoring their families to be with the Mac Pro community!

My amazing partner bought me an XFX Radeon 6870 1Gb Card after hearing me moan for the last 3 months about how I can only use terrible Windows 7 on my computer.

All up and running, cables plugged in ect and OSx is running great so far, love having all my stuff back!

Only issue is that the card shows as an NI40 in system profiler. I'm running 10.6.8 on a Pro 1,1 with X5355s. Any ideas how to get this fixed? If I flash the card it goes to 64bit EFI which means it wouldn't work with my 32bit EFI as far as I understand. Theres also the 'injector' or KEXT packages from netkas/cindori (genius - thank you for all the work you have done for the community) but I've read I wont need these ATY_ files because I'm running 10.6.

Anyway - just to confirm for anyone who hasn't yet decided, an XFX ATI 6870 works and boots on a Mac Pro 1,1.

Phrygian

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2011
Well lets see how many people are on here Christmas day ignoring their families to be with the Mac Pro community!

My amazing partner bought me an XFX Radeon 6870 1Gb Card after hearing me moan for the last 3 months about how I can only use terrible Windows 7 on my computer.

All up and running, cables plugged in ect and OSx is running great so far, love having all my stuff back!

Only issue is that the card shows as an NI40 in system profiler. I'm running 10.6.8 on a Pro 1,1 with X5355s. Any ideas how to get this fixed? If I flash the card it goes to 64bit EFI which means it wouldn't work with my 32bit EFI as far as I understand. Theres also the 'injector' or KEXT packages from netkas/cindori (genius - thank you for all the work you have done for the community) but I've read I wont need these ATY_ files because I'm running 10.6.

Anyway - just to confirm for anyone who hasn't yet decided, an XFX ATI 6870 works and boots on a Mac Pro 1,1.

i don't know much about the 6870 in a 1,1.

However cindori (groth.org) or netkas are the people to talk to about this one.

On my 3,1, i installed this http://www.groths.org/?p=431 to take care of any small issues with the 6870

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.